CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-09-2008, 02:07 AM   #11
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: Steroids, Supplementation and CrossFit

Okay, I am confused now. Are we talking about supplementing with "fat burners", protein shakes etc.? Or are we talking about supplementing with chemicals. If we're talking steroids, growth hormone etc. then of course the physiques will be different.

If we're just talking about wonder supplements you'd find at GNC or some other supp. store, then it still comes down to dedication. 3-6 days/week of activity, heavy lifting, good food, proper energy balance, plenty of sleep and insulin control etc. will get the job done.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Actually, they aren't. They are pretty darn week. Consider supplementation, and why those who do a heck of a lot better than you use them. Because those things that are easily obtained and completely legal have huge benefits, and you are happy being mediocre. That is the real story.
That's pretty harsh, George. I guarantee those numbers are in the upper percentile of all crossfitters (heck, less than 10% of the people I've met at my crossfit gym can actually do Linda as Rx'd in ANY reasonable amount of time).

I know this program focuses on performance but in the end 99% of us will be settling for some level of "mediocre," including--I'm guessing--you, George (I couldn't find your name anywhere on the CF Games Results. You gonna win em in 2009?).

Sure, Jared COULD make faster gains on a bunch of supplements, but couldn't YOU be making faster gains, George, if you started going on even more powerful juice? Should I question YOUR commitment because you aren't willing to inject testosterone analogs into your leg? It's all on the same slippery slope, and you can try to say "but what I take is LEGAL" but so what? You could find a shady doctor and get a prescription (poof! Legal now!) or hell, I'll just use the legality issue to criticize you. After all, I could just argue "if you REALLY cared about your performance you'd be willing to break the law" or "You are accepting MEDIOCRITY because you are too much of a pansy to break the law."

Sorry I'm getting a little ranty, but we have to respect each others choices when it comes to how far they are willing to go for "elite fitness," and recognize that, even if the highest levels cannot be achieved, amazing results will come with just good food and dedication.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Steven Anderson

Profile:

...yeah, not really into posting pics here either but...I have fairly good times and lifts across the board. I'm 5'9" 165-170lbs. and have just under 5% BF. I got lucky with good genes but I also bust my *** with CF, boxing, sprinting and occasionally heavy lifts. My diet is extremely dialed in and I have never taken any supplement, steroid or what have you of any kind. After learning about the zone and paleo I REALLY "upped" my fat intake through olive oil, nuts, avocado and peanut butter to name a few and saw my weight go from 160 to 170 but with my physique actually leaning out and having smaller measurements (chest, waist, etc.). Performance level and recovery ability drastically improved.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

So what I am getting is that really no one does this completely natural...I will clarify natural...no supplements of any kind...food and food only and lifting, no fish oil, vitamins, protein, nothing...if this is the case I have seen 12 responses so far out of thousands viewing this board...

T
Old 11-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I take a multivitamin and a whey protein supplement and when I don't, my performance suffers. That has been the case for me since I started lifting heavy 12 years ago. (Before that, I was just a runner and cruncher.) I've been doing CF-style workouts for 4 years, but not official CF stuff until this past Spring. I am 36 years old and for 6 of those years, I was pregnant or nursing a baby and the vitamins and whey protein were especially important then not just for performance, but for energy and overall sense of well-being.

So, no, I can't seem to get enough nutrients in through diet alone to support my training.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #16
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

I could rhyme off all the supplements that I have used during my "Bodybuilding" days. I have never touched steroids but some of the legal supplements I have used did grey the line. I'll admit that for a time I pretty much used whatever was popular at the time. From N.O. Explode, to animal stack. After starting crossfit, I have cut it all out down to whey protein which I do take immediately after I workout in a PWO shake of milk, banana, almond butter and protein. It tastes amazing and I love it. Other that that I use Fish oil.
The funny thing is I got the best results aftr I stopped using the creatines, N.O. Explodes and all the other "Magic potions" that are out there to take your money
Old 11-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #17
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias W. Neal View Post
So what I am getting is that really no one does this completely natural...I will clarify natural...no supplements of any kind...food and food only and lifting, no fish oil, vitamins, protein, nothing...if this is the case I have seen 12 responses so far out of thousands viewing this board...

T
Uh, yea, mine was "all natural" if you read it clearly. I stated only foods; maybe you read olive oil as "oil supplement" but that's not the case. I lift, sprint, box, CF and eat...and eat well. I don't GOMAD, no vitamins, no protein powder, etc, etc.

Now, the question, do I believe that supplementaion probably works? Absolutely, and I am in agreeance (if that's a word) with George. A lot of the firebreathers do more than just the WOD and almost have to use some form of supplemantation to aid in recovery, simple as that. For example, I know that my diet is dialed in but I only eat fish maybe once, sometimes twice a week if I'm lucky. Would I benefit from some fish oil? Probably. My problem is that I'm planning a wedding, and if I order one more "thing" like fish oil or CF equipment or anything that's not wedding invitations (or wedding related) my fiance is going to chop my little keyboarding fingers off and then I'll have to suck protein shakes through a straw.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #18
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Because I wander around shirtless basically all the time I've got pics from when I started Crossfitting in 05 thru now. I randomly do 2 weeks of creatine but not with any regularity. Same with fish oil. I do eat paleo/zone 6 out of 7 days per week plus Breyer's at night when I'm looking to gain weight. When I started Crossfit in 2005 I weighed 151, last night I weighed 171.

Here's a link to a flikr photo gallery. I felt a little *** doing this but what the heck. I'm most proud of my 330# back squat and am closing in on a sub 3 Fran but it's nice that my wife likes it when I take off my shirt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2534938...7608818745926/
Old 11-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #19
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Ummm, what's wrong with protein shakes and fish oil? I mean, you could do the same thing with all natural truly grassfed beef and wild fish, but it's a helluva lot more expensive (creatine too, for that matter). Many of us use protein powder and fish oil, and that's not a bad thing. Many of your clients would likely benefit from them in multiple ways. They are in no way comparable to steroids, which are in a completely different league.

The bottom line for your clients is diet; not some magical all-natural diet, just the ability to control what they stuff in their mouths, and to hit their workouts with regularity and intensity. Adding logical supplements won't make a noticeable difference unless the diet is dialed in anyway.

Props to the guys that posted their pics and stats - all very commendable and worthy of inspiration - whether or not your diet includes protein powder and fish oil (or olive oil! lol) doesn't matter. What matters is that you are aware enough of your health/fitness to eat what you're supposed to eat and make your workouts 95% of the time. Congrats!

And no, I'm not posting pics. I'm fatter than anybody here would want to be, but still look good with a shirt on, and am strongish, which is good enough for me...for the most part - still have improvements to be made.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #20
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Also, considering GOMAD as "supplementation" is just plain silly.