CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
John-erik Granlund

Profile:
consistently to sore to workout

Hey, I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, as I am new to this. So I've been in CF for two months and want to workout on a M-Tu-Th-Fr-Sat schedule with Sundays and Wednesdays off. Unfortunately after every workout I'm so sore the next day I can hardly move, and thus cannot workout the next day. I was wondering if someone had any helpful info about how to alleviate muscle soreness? Everything and anything is welcome, I've tried ice baths, taking creatine and protein directly after workouts, self massage, and lots of stretching after workouts
Old 11-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: consistently to sore to workout

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-erik Granlund View Post
Hey, I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, as I am new to this. So I've been in CF for two months and want to workout on a M-Tu-Th-Fr-Sat schedule with Sundays and Wednesdays off. Unfortunately after every workout I'm so sore the next day I can hardly move, and thus cannot workout the next day. I was wondering if someone had any helpful info about how to alleviate muscle soreness? Everything and anything is welcome, I've tried ice baths, taking creatine and protein directly after workouts, self massage, and lots of stretching after workouts
Do you scale the workouts? And, are you adequately hydrating and feeding your body well? Sounds elementary, but had to ask.

If you do not scale, you could be pushing too hard for only being in 2 months.

Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is normal, and is desired to certain extent because it tells you those muscles worked beyond capacity and are responding accordingly with growth/repair. Debilitating soreness, however, points to something else. Possibly over-training or poor fuel to repair. Post some info about your food intake and sleep schedule, etc.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
David Bott

Profile:

In my pre-koolaid days, I believe I was reasonably fit, but when I started crossfit I was also sore every day for over a month at least. Then you get to the point where you pretty much never get sore no matter how hard you go. Of course I am starting back after a 3 week illness break and I'm hurtin' again!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:21 AM   #4
Charles Whitworth

Profile:

Was it a bad cold/virus? I've been sick for the past 2 weeks and it's terrible.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
James Russo

Profile:  

Why don't you try going every other day for a couple of weeks then start adding days until you're on the schedule you want to be on?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
John-erik Granlund

Profile:

I have tried going every other day but the pain seems to last for approx 2-3 days after working out. I eat generally pretty healthy with about 3/4 of my calories coming from vegetables and fruit, and the other 1/4 coming from chicken and turkey, and I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. Also I tend to get around 7 hours of sleep a night. Hopefully the pain will just go away like david said eventually happens...but will working out when I'm really sore do more bad then good? Should I wait until I don't feel sore, or just push though the pain?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Charles Whitworth

Profile:

I can tell you what I'm doing. I'm waiting until the soreness is small enough to just be tender or sometimes when it is gone completely to do another CF workout. I'm still progressing and it keeps the chances for rhabdo down. At my size, 255lbs, I have a lot of muscle that can break down so I have to be extra careful. I am slowly getting better at recovering and it reduces the risks of too much too soon.

Stretching regularly and after workouts, Casual walking on Off-Days, and good supplements help too.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Contrast showers really feel good and work well for recovery.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
Paul Fitzpatrick

Profile:

the electric heating pad has become my new best friend.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:31 AM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Like Bob said, scale. CF WODs as written are "designed to crush the elite athlete". Work up to it or you will wind up taking unplanned for breaks because your body will refuse to perform. It's trying to tell you something now.