CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Reasons why I should quit working out at globo

Today was the icing on the cake.. and bad luck happens in threes..
I was into my second set of five rep 2 and I was bouncing out of the bottom, when this lady comes over to the squat cage, grabs 2 x 2.5 plates and nudges the bar as I travelling up. The nudge didn't did bother me but it was the sudden feeling of extra movement on the bar that freaked me out. ( was in my mind space) I couldn't finished the set as I was too miffed. Racked the bar, looked over my shoulder, and I see the lady, on the deadlift platform, doing stiff leg dl with a total of 5 pounds on the bar. I decided that I would talk to her but waited til she was done her set ( gotta be polite). So I am standing in front of her, waiting to acknowledge me but she can't due IPOD related deafness. Then she figured out that I was waiting for her. I calmly explain to her that when she was grabbing her 2.5 plates that she bumped the bar and ruined my set and spooked me and I could have dump the weights on her. She should have wait til the bar stopped moving. Her answer; "get over it!" Then I lost it, but again, calmly I said that "gym manners go along way with people since your *** is so big if will take awhile to figure that out" She was stunned.

WAIT it gets better!!!
bad juju number two.
So I am in set number 4 of 5-5-3-3-1 of a max rep power clean. In deep squat, bar gripped, chest high, eyes down, mind space on making the bar float upwards. When again the bar shakes, with a metallic clank followed by a deep thud, I snapped my head to the left where the squat rack was and I see a bright shiny silver oly bar quivering in the air like a honeymoon hard on and falling toward me and stops short of my big toe. I stood up and yelled at the asshat, who was holding several plates in hands on the opposite side of the rack; "ONE PLATE, EACH SIDE OTHERWISE ITS BASIC PHYSICS" The whole gym was silent and every pair eyes was on asshat. I finished my sets and made a PR.

unlucky strike three.
In the sauna, sitting there, melting away. In walks a dude, wearing street clothes and muddy shoes. I look down from the top bench, dripped on him and asked;" what are you doing" "I am relaxing" was he answer. I couldn't take another "chucklehead day" in globo gym. I belted out a firm "not in here with those clothes. Get out, change or come back in your underwear " His fast answer of why returned at my volley. "Cause you look like you work at a chicken farm and could be bringing us Bird flu in here, Now leave" Then every single (okay 3 others) person in the sauna piped up and told him to leave. ( the enemy of my enemy is my friend) The dude left.

Should I quit?

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 10-03-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
David Miller

Profile:
Re: Reasons why I should quit working out at globo

Wow........just wow......Frank, your globo sounds like it is leaps and bounds worse than mine.....I work out at a Gold's and everyone there is pretty cool with CF.....they at least tolerate it.........we get a lot of oddball looks from all the meatheads but we find that entertaining.....sounds like yours is just too crowded?....Maybe it was just a particularly bad day? .....I guess I would stick it out unless these types of things are everyday occurrences...I'm guessing that like me you have no affiliate available to you?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

It was about 2 pm, so it wasn't too crowd; just a rainy day.

I do belong to an affiliate that is about an hours commute to. So I do a fair bit of training on my own, and utilize the trainer at Crossfiteastbay for further programming, motivation , and schooling.

I do like the globo gym chain, 24hr fitness as I have access to all the gym in the country, and I do travel, or I pick up overtime shifts in other counties and that way i can still work out at reasonable familiar set up.

I have had old ladies pass out in the sauna, nearly started cpr in the change room before in various 24hr fitness joints.. But Today.. It was off the chain.

david.. btw.. the liberty still making them buffalo shrimp? and Ray's crab shack at cherry point still around?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I had some one take a collar off of a bar I was using. Like right after a set. I made them put it back. I also came very close to getting into a fight someone for curling in the squat rack. It's up to you, is it worth it. I belong to 2 gyms for similar reasons as you. The globo gym is right next to work and O-lifting gym is 40 minutes from work, 15 mintues from home. People are stupid everywhere. I've found that talking to management about etiquette can help. They may not realize people are acting this way.

I do commend you on you restraint with someone bumping the bar during a set. I would have unloaded both barrels.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Got hit by a medball while doing Leg Press in HS ( yeah, yeah I didn't know better ). Guarantee that probably spread through the grapevine like smallpox to the Native Americans off blankets. If I remember it was fully loaded and I was lowering to the bottom.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Manuel DeLeon

Profile:

wow, Frank, you still pulled of a PR above it all. now thats focus.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel DeLeon View Post
wow, Frank, you still pulled of a PR above it all. now thats focus.
I think it was sheer brute primal anger and a few buckets a high grade adrenaline.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
Robert Newman

Profile:

People take weights off my squat rack while I'm mid set at my college rec center too. I don't get it. I always wait till someone's done with their set and ask them for the weight. Awesome way to get a bar clean, jerk or snatched in the face.

Last time I was doing cleans I had a guy doing bicep curls 3 inches away from my bar (I was on the oly lifting pad). I kept asking him to move up a bit so I wouldn't hit him if I had a bad bail. No one listens!

The worst part is, if we knock someone with the weight, it's looked at as OUR fault
Old 10-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
Ryan Jones

Profile:

I say stay ... and start a blog to entertain us =)
Old 10-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I was doing some circuit weight training sets with a friend of mine one day and we were in the middle of some sumo deadlifts with a 30 lb dumbell when all of a sudden . . .

A very deaf and probably very senile old man who was doing his dumbell bicep curl swings walked up mid-swing and very loudly yelled:

"Hey, you, what are ya doin' that for! You look like that girl that was having sex with Elliot Spitzer! I betcha that's how she works out. That's not going to do anything except make your husband happy! You keepin' your husbands happy?" . . . and it went downhill from there.

We kind of looked at each other, I told him we were in the middle of training and could he please excuse us.

He just continued to stare at us some more and began to get an erection that was clearly visible through his old man gym shorts.

Top that Frank.

BTW, we ran to the other side of the gym and told on him because no one wants to confront an old senile man with an erection.

Oh yeah, this was not at a globo, per se, but at a YMCA.