CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
Does anybody on the board know the best way to find local seminars on fitness and or nutrition? I live on orlando, a pretty large market and i seem to have trouble trying to find seminars i could attend to broaden my knowledge. I tried googling and what not, though no results. :-(

Any help or advice would be great..thanks a lot!!
Old 01-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Typed "orlando university" into Google; says U Central Florida is in Orlando. Looked at their research departments. Turns out they have a "Center for Lifestyle Medicine." See here (w/f safe):

http://www.lifestylemedicine.ucf.edu/research.html
"The Center for Lifestyle Medicine conducts research into diverse aspects of how daily lifestyle habits and actions impact on both short and long term health and quality of life. ..."

Although it wasn't posted on the Web site, you could try to find out if this department has a seminar series. Many research depts have them, where they have invited speakers give research talks once/week or so. They would likely be technical or overly specific, but that might be what you want.

Something like this for the UCF Biophysics dept:
http://biophysics.cos.ucf.edu/seminar.php

Normally, these really aren't "public lectures" per se, but researchers presenting to other researchers, but if you could find out the room and time, you could just show up, have a seat, and see what it's like.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Or you could "go to MIT for free":
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0104/p13s02-legn.html

(i.e., search out courses like that on topics you want such as nutrition or exercise physiology)

(w/f safe link to article on how MIT is posting syllabi, videos of lectures, handouts, assignments on the web.)
Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
Thanks a lot Rena for the help. I actually attend UCF. Ill be there tomorrow asking them about the seminars. thanks again!