CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
Andres Diaz

Profile:
I think the crossfit hierarchy of development from the What Is Fitness Crossfit Journal with nutrition at the bottom is incomplete. In such societies where welfare checks can't account for a living, training the brain should be the primary concern in order to get a job, which in turn will give you money to acquiere nutrients. At least this is my case.
What do you think?

Even more taking into account mandatory internet access. An exception to the rule would be athletes taken to follow a training program directly from kindergarden in Eastern Bloc style (i think those are very few nowadays) and, in a sense, public servants, for whom this kind of conditioning was designed in the first place.

If crossfit is to be turned into a worldwide thought system for human improvement, with it's main pillars stating that "specialization is for insects" (i guess it's because you cannot trust the government anymore and therefore cannot fully delegate vital tasks on others 100%), then it should be more general in approach to wider population classes.

Maybe i'm abstracting myself too much from what is meant to be just a strength program?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:39 PM   #2
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Huh ????

Old 12-16-2006, 04:40 AM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
That's what I call drinking the Kool-Aid!
Old 12-16-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
too much thought for any exercise program.....
Old 12-16-2006, 06:52 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Read the boards, there is your education...this is a thinking mans game!
Old 12-16-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Are you simply saying that education belongs under nutrition in your opinion?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
Joe Schwab

Profile:
No offense Nick, but that was the most random collection of thoughts I've seen in a while. From what I gathered, you're implying that we need to accelerate a world-wide take-over of the population's thinking about nutrition and fitness. Did I get that right?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
Mark Miller

Profile:
"I think the crossfit hierarchy of development from the What Is Fitness Crossfit Journal with nutrition at the bottom is incomplete. In such societies where welfare checks can't account for a living, training the brain should be the primary concern in order to get a job, which in turn will give you money to acquiere nutrients. At least this is my case."
What do you think?

Economic and social status do play a roll in Nutrition. However, it is not a limiting factor. Do your best with the resources you have. Crossfit is a way to facilitate a high degree of fitness.

"Even more taking into account mandatory internet access. An exception to the rule would be athletes taken to follow a training program directly from kindergarden in Eastern Bloc style (i think those are very few nowadays) and, in a sense, public servants, for whom this kind of conditioning was designed in the first place."

Can't speak for Moscow but most people can access the web/computer once a week to take in the workouts which are posted for free.

Even though Crossfit is "designed for public servants" it is still functional for the everyday man or woman. So don't think that it is somehow an exclusive community.

"If crossfit is to be turned into a worldwide thought system for human improvement, with it's main pillars stating that "specialization is for insects" (i guess it's because you cannot trust the government anymore and therefore cannot fully delegate vital tasks on others 100%), then it should be more general in approach to wider population classes."

I don't think Crossfit could stroke a brush any wider than they do now. Last time I checked this community was not a government or political entity???

Maybe i'm abstracting myself too much from what is meant to be just a strength program?

Maybe, its a community of people combining their passions, knowledge, and pursuits of a healthy lifestyle. You can join and see how it works for you or you can keep on searching for the next fight.

Mark Miller
Old 12-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
Frank M Needham

Profile:
From Technical Writing: Consider your audience first when putting together your thoughts.

I would say that you ought to think about things from that narrow perspective Andres. Crossfit is not a "Power to the People" movement....the language and methods clearly state it is an elite program, not one geared to the angle you seem to be taking.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #10
Peter Queen

Profile:
Andres:

Strong body, strong mind….strong mind, strong body!
The two go hand in hand.

Crossfit does not produce a bunch of mindless tree swinging, club toting brutes.
Wherever, you are going with your thoughts, you need to approach carefully and not broad stroke a program based on whatever personal issues you may have with a certain type of group or circumstance.

Furthermore, it doesn’t take a government study to know that physical exercise causes:

A Positive mood which is directly associated
with feelings of vigor and happiness.

Reduces anxiety

Reduces Depression

Increases activities associated with positive self-esteem.
http://www.fitness.gov/mentalhealth.htm

It sounds to me that an individual like that is well on their way towards sucess.

Also, good physical exercises directly introduce into a person’s lifestyle good eating habits. That said, keeping up on proper nutrition will cause good neuro responses within the brain such that this will in fact create more mental alertness and focus.

To sum this all up, IMO, those people who have a good exercise program and incorporate good eating habits are the ones who are the go-getters and leaders that blaze the trail for the rest to follow.

Now to address your post directly:

“In such societies where welfare checks can't account for a living, training the brain should be the primary concern in order to get a job, which in turn will give you money to acquiere nutrients. At least this is my case.”

This meeeeeans what??? :g::dunno:

It seems to me that you are mixing two concepts or conditions here. The benefits or affects of physical exercise on the brain and the plight of human suffering as defined through the lack of employment based on someone’s levels of intelligence.
Another example is that this reminds me of the various concepts in quantum physics before the unified theory was proposed that strung everything together into some sort of cohesive scheme. In your case, there is no unified theory that ties all this back into fitness. It all seems like random prattle forever lost in cyber space. It also seems to me that you are playing the proverbial “armchair quarterback” critiquing a system from afar before getting to know it up close and personal.