CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
How hard do you have to work to get Rhabdo?

Just curious.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: How hard do you have to work to get Rhapdo?

It depends on the person, their training level, their health level, etc. What will cause it one person, may just be a really intense workout for someone else
Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
Just curious.
Some people have worked so hard they puked and never gotten it.

Other's have done 30 GHD situps in a kinda hard workout and ended up with Rhabdo.

We all wish we knew more about it.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Heavy essentrics coupled with a metabolic hit makes it far more likely. There are so many factors. The key thing is ensuring your ramp up is gradual for yourself and/or your clients.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

IMO It depends on the person. First of all it is an extremely rare occurrence. I wrestled played football lifted for many years before I saw my first case of rhabdo. It was when I was working and it was in a person who had been in a car accident. Crush injury, lots of crushed muscle.

Also IMO it happens from a huge increase in localizes intensity compared to the persons usual workload (this may include a large increase in ROM of a working muscle such as in a glute ham sit-up). ie person used to squat but has not done so for 10 years. This person is hardheaded and does not think about what he is doing but is determined to get back in shape quickly. Goes back to the gym and do 20 sets of squats with as much weight as they can handle, he think it is fine because he can remember using much more weight when he worked out before. He has gone from a relative intensity of 1 to 10 in one workout. If that same person had been squatting twice a week for 3x5 then did the 20 set workout it may be hard for him to walk for a week (he will have muscle fiber damage) but he will not have rhabdo. Or same person comes in and works with a trainer who pushes them too hard too fast.

My understanding of how it comes about is the loss of cell wall integrity of muscle. Lots and lots, read that multiple millions of ruptured muscle fibers. The contents of which spill into the bloodstream and cause all sorts of trouble. This may cause electrolyte disturbances, clog your kidneys (or cause all out failure which could require dialysis or transplant in extreme cases) work your liver hard and obviously impairing the function of the damaged muscle.

Most people "shut down" long before this happens from voluntary exercise. Some small number of people may be able to over ride this "self defense" mechanism to their detriment.

The long and the short is that is is very hard to cause via exercise in an otherwise healthy person, but possible.

Now there are all sorts of other ways to get rhabdo that I did not talk about, list from medline.
* Alcoholism (with subsequent muscle tremors)
* Crush Injuries (well I did talk about this one)
* Heat intolerance
* Heatstroke
* Ischemia or necrosis of the muscles (as may occur with arterial occlusion, deep venous thrombosis, or other conditions)
* Low phosphate levels
* Seizures
* Severe exertion such as marathon running or calisthenics
* Shaking chills
* Trauma
* Use or overdose of drugs, especially cocaine, amphetamines, statins, heroin, or PCP
Old 08-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
Heavy essentrics coupled with a metabolic hit makes it far more likely.
I'm wondering if we can get a list of CF eccentric exercises?

GHD situps, jumping pullups, lunges, what else?
Old 08-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

you have to weigh 230# w/ extra 30 pounds fat and do:

400m
25 pullups
400m
50 pushups
400m
50 situps
400m
50 squats

........well all that almost made by buddy meet pukey today
Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
Re: How hard do you have to work to get Rhabdo?

The closest I ever came to it was when I cranked out the "300" workout in about 13 minutes or so. I was shaking for about 3 hours and my skin turned ghost white. It just felt like I was going to die. I really don't think I had Rhabdo though, and I would really hate to know what that feels like if it was worse than what I felt.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Does age make you more susceptible?

Just wondering, because I've seen thousands of young men intentionally driven to exhaustion and collapse in the military, but never saw "rhabdo". Now all of a sudden you do an extra 2 thrusters and people are shrieking "watch out for rhabdo". I don't mean to downplay the danger, but I wonder if the power of suggestion is making people overly sensitive to a relatively rare hazard. I'd almost call it hysteria, but that is an inflammatory term.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
Does age make you more susceptible?

Just wondering, because I've seen thousands of young men intentionally driven to exhaustion and collapse in the military, but never saw "rhabdo". Now all of a sudden you do an extra 2 thrusters and people are shrieking "watch out for rhabdo". I don't mean to downplay the danger, but I wonder if the power of suggestion is making people overly sensitive to a relatively rare hazard. I'd almost call it hysteria, but that is an inflammatory term.

The difference is that those in the military are (hopefully) prepared to perform at that kind of intensity. A guy who says, "I'm going to try CF full-on as rx'd even though I've never done a thruster or jogged a mile in my life" is not.