CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
Chuck Geyer

Profile:
Re: 2000 Meter Row

I coach last spring at TJ as the Men's 4V coach. I helped out Andy with the 3V every now and then. When did your daughter/s go to TJ?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
Chuck Geyer

Profile:

i coached fot tj last spring. Coached the 4v and helped out with the 3v. When did you daughter go to TJ?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #13
Bryan Veis

Profile:

[Slaps forehead] Oh, okay, I think I know who you are now. We weren't really active in the boosters, but I think I saw you at the end-of-season gathering.

My youngest just graduated from TJ. She started in the bow, but for most of last season, she was in the 3-seat on the 1v. She started rowing for Ron when she was a freshman and progressed through the 3v and 2v as a sophomore and junior.

Maybe you could help me out here -- I can't get a decent explanation out of my daughter of the "Row Like a Unicorn" mantra. I gather that it involves more of a forward lean just prior to the drive? (She hasn't been on the erg lately, but I have, so I'd like to know if there's a new secret technique. )
Old 06-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
Chuck Geyer

Profile:

I don't completely agree with the row like a unicorn deal but here is basically what it is:

you row with your head tilted slightly down. The perfect amount is when your neck and back are in a strait line. I have been told that this does two things. Gets your spine strait through to your head and also when catching, it becomes more difficult to open your back up at the catch when your head is pointed down.
That is the good, now for the bad: Where your head leads your body will follow- doing this will cause your hands to drop at the catch (hands dropping will cause your blade to sky and then a late catch) Also might cause you to drop your outside sholder, also causing your blade to sky)
ALL in all its just a coaching style.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
Chuck Geyer

Profile:

PS really cool to see you on here. Small world right
Old 06-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #16
Bryan Veis

Profile:

Yes, kind of a small world.

I have tried to convince the girls for the past couple years that Crossfit would be good supplemental conditioning for crew, but didn't have much luck with that. Now, they're off to college and my influence in the conditioning department will be even less than it was (which is to say, it is going from small to nil). I don't know what they will do in college -- one (the W-L grad) has indicated an interest in triathloning and kickboxing(even though she did not cox in high school, she did cox at the Potomac Boat Club for a while -- maybe she will take that up again); I'm not sure what the other wants to do. Neither one is tall enough to row (except maybe as lightweights) in college -- at least, I really doubt it.

Okay, so I take it that the "unicorn" part would relate to (sort of) "pointing" with the forehead to achieve the desired straightening of the neck" ? Do you try to lengthen the neck to accomplish that? I don't think I've ever had a problem opening my back at the catch, but then again, I'm always alone when I erg (and I only erg -- it might be fun to actually get in a shell and row, but timewise, it just wouldn't work for me). I see your point about dropping the hands; I suspect that you might also be setting yourself up for some back strain if you leaned your neck too far forward and caused the rest of your spine to curve with it.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

Are you going to continue to coach at TJ next year? Good luck to the team. I have probably made my last trip to the Occoquan, but we'll be watching the sports section.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
Chuck Geyer

Profile:

yeah, i'd like to get into tri's but I feel that i am to big for them. I did a sprint tri not to long ago that really kicked my butt. I really enjoy the crossfit. I actually found an affiliate called crossfithardcore.com that ups the workouts one notch (don't like having more than 1 day off a week and like longer workouts.) Anyway crossfitendurance.com is pretty good for your daughter that is interested in tri's.

as for the unicorn, just tilting your head not extending it.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #18
Nick Shimondle

Profile:

Hey guys, glad to see some competitive rowers here. I currently row for my college in the upper peninsula of michigan, which presents its own challenges due to the ice but that's another story. Anyways so far my PR for a 2k is about 7:30, but then again I'm a 155 lb 5'9" lightweight varsity rower so I am loosing some leverage there . I'm hoping that crossfit will help me improve my times though!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:22 AM   #19
Bill Patton

Profile:

funny to see a thread for rowers here - i worked for concept2 for 8 or nine years - and happen to know of a very successful collegiate coach who prescribes crossfit workouts for his varsity crew. when i told him about logsitall and invited him to use it to track his kid's progress and workouts - his comment was "i don't want other schools learning about this, and seeing what my kids can do...".

btw the permalink for crossfit/logsitall.com 2k standings:
(top time 5:58)

http://www.logsitall.com/stats-embed...d&ag=0&mmx=min

-bill patton
Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #20
Tom Fetter

Profile:

He's got a point.

The local rowing club supplemented their erg training with two trips/week to Fredericton's CF affiliate, and the performance jump in the regattas this Spring has been pretty remarkable.