CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
Levi Yardley

Profile:
Rotator Cuff?

About 1.5 months ago, I strained my shoulder pretty bad. The pain was on the back side of my shoulder. I let off for about 3 weeks and it healed up pretty well. However, i am still experiencing weakness and a little bit of pain when doing shoulder excercises i.e. push ups and presses

Point is, I want to start swimming along with xfit and am afraid to push it to much. I guess anyone that has had similar injury let me know what you have done to help it.

Right now, I just scale down the workouts and push it so I can go and it not hurt. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

-Levi
Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Brent Story

Profile:
Re: Rotator Cuff?

hey levi
shoulders are a pain in the butt, i have torn both cuff and one good thing for you is that, if the pain is in the back and you can pick your arm up, it is probably not torn. this is just from experience, if it hurts too bad or you can not sleep on the effected side, pay someone to look at it. try and take advil or some anti-inflammatory drug, as the pain could from inflammation, caused by irritation. try your workouts, take it easy and slow, and STAY AWAY FROM BENCH PRESS.:stir:
Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Max Philipsson

Profile:

You might want to get it tested by a physisian to pin point what muscle exactly is hurting. There are lots of muscles in that area and it`s hard to make a proper diagnostic on your self. So called short test of the muscles involved will reveal a disfunction. You look at what a spec muscle do an then try its strenght in the most contracted angle. Then treatment will be easier and recovery faster then just resting i think.

Good luck
Old 06-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Steven Bowser

Profile:

I tore both cuffs and since I stopped benching I dont have much pain anymore. I also do an exercise where I hold 2 ten pound or fifteen pound dumbells with my arms at my sides. While keeping my arms straight I do a lateral raise which works my r. cuff and strenthens them. Try it.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
John Lombardi

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Rotator Cuff?

Look into A.R.T. (Active Release Technique) I've been dealing with chronic rotator impingement for many years A.R.T. has been a life saver!