CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #21
John Keiper

Profile:
Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

David,
I only make these suggestions because if there is a mistake to be made in the squat I have made it! Probably a thousand times! Good luck.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:58 AM   #22
David Gessen

Profile:

Sorry if I was too direct, never thought you would talk about the powerlifting style.
I'm just used to the stupidity on the other boards that are full with people saying 'squatting deep are bad for the knees".
Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #23
Jason Homesley

Profile:

Here is a tip that works for everything that you are moving from the floor whether it is a dead, clean, or snatch. The start position with your feet should be the same as if you were about to jump onto a box. This will eliminate all wide stances and give you the most power. Then sit back on heals load the hamstrings and drive your hips forward while keeping the lumbar curve in back. Good luck to all.

Jason,

www.tricitiescrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 06-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #24
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Homesley View Post
Here is a tip that works for everything that you are moving from the floor whether it is a dead, clean, or snatch. The start position with your feet should be the same as if you were about to jump onto a box. This will eliminate all wide stances and give you the most power. Then sit back on heals load the hamstrings and drive your hips forward while keeping the lumbar curve in back. Good luck to all.

Jason,

While not bad advice, I would disagree that eliminating wide stances gives you the most power. There's a reason competitive powerlifters use an extremely wide stance for both squats and DL's. That said, SS, which is what David is following right now, consists of a DL with the stance you describe, but a Squat with a significantly wider stance.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #25
John Keiper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Homesley View Post

Jason,

Another tip along the same lines is to hang from a chin0up bar and drop to the ground. However your feet land is probably your best power stance.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #26
Jason Homesley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
While not bad advice, I would disagree that eliminating wide stances gives you the most power. There's a reason competitive powerlifters use an extremely wide stance for both squats and DL's. That said, SS, which is what David is following right now, consists of a DL with the stance you describe, but a Squat with a significantly wider stance.
Derek, if you read what I said, "from the floor" then it makes perfect sense. of course you need a wider stance with a squat this is known as the land or squat position-feet slightly wider than shoulder width. Other than that, feet should be in the start position, jump position. You get the most power with your heels under your hips. You only go wider than shoulders for the squat because it gives more support not power.
The feet should also be under the hips during all shoulder movements, i.e. press, push press, push jerk. But if I continue I might as well start another thread....