CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-31-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
David Gessen

Profile:
Deadlift, squat and power clean

15 5'8 143lbs

Squat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq90PNZhJHQ
WFS

Deadlift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8seuz70XRw
WFS

now, after dropping weight off the bar, I fixed the problem?

I'll post my power clean form next workout here.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

THe squat video sucked, couldn't see anything, try again.

The deadlift wasn't too bad. I can't be sure but it looked like your arm were hitting your knees at the start position. If they were, make your stance more narrow. Your feet should be shoulder width, its a much more narrow stance than the squat. On the last 2, you raised your hips up a bit before lifting the bar. Once you are set, any movement of the body should equal a movement of the bar. And don't lead with the hips.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Drop that butt more in the start position for the deadlift

-Robert
Old 05-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

maybe try asking someone to hold the camera for you instead of getting them to stand in front of it.

BTw what happened to training at the powerlifting club that you spoke about a few weeks ago, after getting kicked out of the gym.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Veronica Davis

Profile:

David...

Squat - Although it would be better to have a squat video from the side, the one thing I noticed is on your way back up, you drop your chest and lead up with your butt. Almost like a good morning, but not quite as exaggerated. If you look at the video, when you are on the way up your head drops, your butt starts coming up and then you lift your head back up. I do it too once I get a few reps in. For me, I realized that it's a core strength (or lack there of) issue.

DL - looks pretty good. I agree with the other recommendations. On a side note: when you are getting ready to start a set DO NOT LET ANYONE DISTRACT YOU!!!!!!!!! Once your hands touch the metal, all you should hear is silence. Over time you'll learn how to get in the silent zone.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Alex Nisetich

Profile:

Squat -Hard to tell from the video, but it looks like you could be getting an inch or two lower; I've found that for me when I actually get low it feels like I'm TOO low, so really get down there. Aside from that, you're definitely doing a pronounced double clutch on the way up. That is, your chest and head drop and you finish the movement by extending your lower back, as in a good morning. This is a problem that you'll need to fix if you want to do heavy weights. Use your hips to squat, not your quads, and work on strengthening your back. Be careful not to overthink -if you are trying consciously to drive with your hips, then that could also cause you to bend forward too far.

Deadlift -Get your feet narrower and lock out your arms from the starting position. By bending your arms you aren't getting as much power from your back as possible. Your shoulders should be over the bar, and that may feel like they're even slightly forward of it. The deadlift is a pull, and you should feel it in your upper and middle back (traps and lats).

For the record, you're never going to get these lifts perfect. My squats and deads are different every time I do them. Now that I've been doing them for several years, I know what good form feels like and when I need to tweak things. Don't get frustrated if you're not doing a great job right away. As you learn good form, your muscles remember the motion and it becomes easier to reproduce.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:01 AM   #7
David Gessen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Drop that butt more in the start position for the deadlift

-Robert
wouldn't that cause the shoulders over the bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
maybe try asking someone to hold the camera for you instead of getting them to stand in front of it.

BTw what happened to training at the powerlifting club that you spoke about a few weeks ago, after getting kicked out of the gym.
The head instructor told me that now he don't care if i'll injure myself as long as I pay the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Davis View Post
David...

Squat - Although it would be better to have a squat video from the side, the one thing I noticed is on your way back up, you drop your chest and lead up with your butt. Almost like a good morning, but not quite as exaggerated. If you look at the video, when you are on the way up your head drops, your butt starts coming up and then you lift your head back up. I do it too once I get a few reps in. For me, I realized that it's a core strength (or lack there of) issue.

DL - looks pretty good. I agree with the other recommendations. On a side note: when you are getting ready to start a set DO NOT LET ANYONE DISTRACT YOU!!!!!!!!! Once your hands touch the metal, all you should hear is silence. Over time you'll learn how to get in the silent zone.
I should lead with my butt, this is exactly what rip says.
I'm not supposed to lead with my chest, I even asked rip about this and he says that I should lead with my chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Nisetich View Post
Squat -Hard to tell from the video, but it looks like you could be getting an inch or two lower; I've found that for me when I actually get low it feels like I'm TOO low, so really get down there. Aside from that, you're definitely doing a pronounced double clutch on the way up. That is, your chest and head drop and you finish the movement by extending your lower back, as in a good morning. This is a problem that you'll need to fix if you want to do heavy weights. Use your hips to squat, not your quads, and work on strengthening your back. Be careful not to overthink -if you are trying consciously to drive with your hips, then that could also cause you to bend forward too far.

Deadlift -Get your feet narrower and lock out your arms from the starting position. By bending your arms you aren't getting as much power from your back as possible. Your shoulders should be over the bar, and that may feel like they're even slightly forward of it. The deadlift is a pull, and you should feel it in your upper and middle back (traps and lats).

For the record, you're never going to get these lifts perfect. My squats and deads are different every time I do them. Now that I've been doing them for several years, I know what good form feels like and when I need to tweak things. Don't get frustrated if you're not doing a great job right away. As you learn good form, your muscles remember the motion and it becomes easier to reproduce.
The shoulders should be in front of the bar.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:36 AM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gessen View Post
wouldn't that cause the shoulders over the bar?
No, you've got a bit of room to move back, I think.

Make sure your arms are straight when you start, though, that's just silly.

And you must spend all day at the gym if this is how long it takes you to lift...
Old 06-01-2008, 04:58 AM   #9
David Gessen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
No, you've got a bit of room to move back, I think.

Make sure your arms are straight when you start, though, that's just silly.

And you must spend all day at the gym if this is how long it takes you to lift...
I'm supposed to deload.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:52 AM   #10
Veronica Davis

Profile:

David - The leading with your butt is right, but you are dropping your chest forward to do it. You are almost doing a good morning.