CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
David Gessen
Member David Gessen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Winnipeg  Manitoba
Posts: 180
Deadlift, squat and power clean

15 5'8 143lbs


Squat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq90PNZhJHQ
WFS

Deadlift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8seuz70XRw
WFS



now, after dropping weight off the bar, I fixed the problem?

I'll post my power clean form next workout here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member Jamie J. Skibicki is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 8,841
Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

THe squat video sucked, couldn't see anything, try again.

The deadlift wasn't too bad. I can't be sure but it looked like your arm were hitting your knees at the start position. If they were, make your stance more narrow. Your feet should be shoulder width, its a much more narrow stance than the squat. On the last 2, you raised your hips up a bit before lifting the bar. Once you are set, any movement of the body should equal a movement of the bar. And don't lead with the hips.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Robert Callahan
Member Robert Callahan is offline
 
Robert Callahan's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zzyzx  CA
Posts: 1,626
Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

Drop that butt more in the start position for the deadlift

-Robert
__________________
"I swear by my life and by my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Frank E Morel
Member Frank E Morel is offline
 
Frank E Morel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Santa Rosa  CA
Posts: 2,328
Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

maybe try asking someone to hold the camera for you instead of getting them to stand in front of it.

BTw what happened to training at the powerlifting club that you spoke about a few weeks ago, after getting kicked out of the gym.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Veronica Davis
Member Veronica Davis is offline
 
Veronica Davis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington  DC
Posts: 2,704
Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

David...

Squat - Although it would be better to have a squat video from the side, the one thing I noticed is on your way back up, you drop your chest and lead up with your butt. Almost like a good morning, but not quite as exaggerated. If you look at the video, when you are on the way up your head drops, your butt starts coming up and then you lift your head back up. I do it too once I get a few reps in. For me, I realized that it's a core strength (or lack there of) issue.

DL - looks pretty good. I agree with the other recommendations. On a side note: when you are getting ready to start a set DO NOT LET ANYONE DISTRACT YOU!!!!!!!!! Once your hands touch the metal, all you should hear is silence. Over time you'll learn how to get in the silent zone.
__________________
"I'm training for World Domination" - Karin Kellerman
http://www.veronicao.com ,My Crossfit Log , Crossfit Force Majeure (wfs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Alex Nisetich
Member Alex Nisetich is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston  Massachusetts
Posts: 98
Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

Squat -Hard to tell from the video, but it looks like you could be getting an inch or two lower; I've found that for me when I actually get low it feels like I'm TOO low, so really get down there. Aside from that, you're definitely doing a pronounced double clutch on the way up. That is, your chest and head drop and you finish the movement by extending your lower back, as in a good morning. This is a problem that you'll need to fix if you want to do heavy weights. Use your hips to squat, not your quads, and work on strengthening your back. Be careful not to overthink -if you are trying consciously to drive with your hips, then that could also cause you to bend forward too far.

Deadlift -Get your feet narrower and lock out your arms from the starting position. By bending your arms you aren't getting as much power from your back as possible. Your shoulders should be over the bar, and that may feel like they're even slightly forward of it. The deadlift is a pull, and you should feel it in your upper and middle back (traps and lats).

For the record, you're never going to get these lifts perfect. My squats and deads are different every time I do them. Now that I've been doing them for several years, I know what good form feels like and when I need to tweak things. Don't get frustrated if you're not doing a great job right away. As you learn good form, your muscles remember the motion and it becomes easier to reproduce.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:01 AM   #7
David Gessen
Member David Gessen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Winnipeg  Manitoba
Posts: 180
Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Drop that butt more in the start position for the deadlift

-Robert
wouldn't that cause the shoulders over the bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
maybe try asking someone to hold the camera for you instead of getting them to stand in front of it.

BTw what happened to training at the powerlifting club that you spoke about a few weeks ago, after getting kicked out of the gym.
The head instructor told me that now he don't care if i'll injure myself as long as I pay the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Davis View Post
David...

Squat - Although it would be better to have a squat video from the side, the one thing I noticed is on your way back up, you drop your chest and lead up with your butt. Almost like a good morning, but not quite as exaggerated. If you look at the video, when you are on the way up your head drops, your butt starts coming up and then you lift your head back up. I do it too once I get a few reps in. For me, I realized that it's a core strength (or lack there of) issue.

DL - looks pretty good. I agree with the other recommendations. On a side note: when you are getting ready to start a set DO NOT LET ANYONE DISTRACT YOU!!!!!!!!! Once your hands touch the metal, all you should hear is silence. Over time you'll learn how to get in the silent zone.
I should lead with my butt, this is exactly what rip says.
I'm not supposed to lead with my chest, I even asked rip about this and he says that I should lead with my chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Nisetich View Post
Squat -Hard to tell from the video, but it looks like you could be getting an inch or two lower; I've found that for me when I actually get low it feels like I'm TOO low, so really get down there. Aside from that, you're definitely doing a pronounced double clutch on the way up. That is, your chest and head drop and you finish the movement by extending your lower back, as in a good morning. This is a problem that you'll need to fix if you want to do heavy weights. Use your hips to squat, not your quads, and work on strengthening your back. Be careful not to overthink -if you are trying consciously to drive with your hips, then that could also cause you to bend forward too far.

Deadlift -Get your feet narrower and lock out your arms from the starting position. By bending your arms you aren't getting as much power from your back as possible. Your shoulders should be over the bar, and that may feel like they're even slightly forward of it. The deadlift is a pull, and you should feel it in your upper and middle back (traps and lats).

For the record, you're never going to get these lifts perfect. My squats and deads are different every time I do them. Now that I've been doing them for several years, I know what good form feels like and when I need to tweak things. Don't get frustrated if you're not doing a great job right away. As you learn good form, your muscles remember the motion and it becomes easier to reproduce.
The shoulders should be in front of the bar.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:36 AM   #8
Brandon Oto
Member Brandon Oto is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz  CA
Posts: 3,001
Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gessen View Post
wouldn't that cause the shoulders over the bar?
No, you've got a bit of room to move back, I think.

Make sure your arms are straight when you start, though, that's just silly.

And you must spend all day at the gym if this is how long it takes you to lift...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:58 AM   #9
David Gessen
Member David Gessen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Winnipeg  Manitoba
Posts: 180
Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
No, you've got a bit of room to move back, I think.

Make sure your arms are straight when you start, though, that's just silly.

And you must spend all day at the gym if this is how long it takes you to lift...
I'm supposed to deload.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:52 AM   #10
Veronica Davis
Member Veronica Davis is offline
 
Veronica Davis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington  DC
Posts: 2,704
Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

David - The leading with your butt is right, but you are dropping your chest forward to do it. You are almost doing a good morning.
__________________
"I'm training for World Domination" - Karin Kellerman
http://www.veronicao.com ,My Crossfit Log , Crossfit Force Majeure (wfs)
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linda--Squat Clean or Power Clean? Tommy Conroy Workout of the Day 9 03-03-2008 02:58 PM
Power Clean -vs- Squat Clean (Knees) Wade Smith Injuries 6 01-04-2008 10:38 PM
Squat, Press, Power Clean Form Scott Kane Digital Coaching 2 11-25-2007 08:50 PM
Power Clean and Front Squat Elliot Royce Digital Coaching 1 03-01-2007 07:31 AM
Receiving the bar in a squat/power clean Keith Norris Exercises 11 01-10-2006 09:14 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.