CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Drew Cavin

Profile:
C&J, after 3 weeks

I've been mainly focusing on learning the O-lifts over the past three or so weeks (with Dutch from CrossfitATM) and here's where I am with the c&j. This was a max clean for me. I didn't get it overhead, which is obvious, but the video shuts off. I've got a lot of things I've noticed that need work, but I'd like to hear what others say. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUl2K2d3RLM WFS??

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 06-03-2008 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: C&J, after 3 weeks

I saw 2 major things to work on.

1) Starting position, you find it, then relax, then try to jerk back into it but do not get there and end up starting your pull with your hips way to high and your back slightly rounded, this is asking for trouble. The starting position should be exactly the same as with the deadlift and the first part of the lift should also be the same, legs to start then back kicks in once the bar clears the knees. Drop that butt and get into a good start position and then do not try to jerk the bar off the ground but squeez it off.

2) You basically did a power clean with a front squat at the end. I mean you got the bar to mid sternum before you try to drop below it and you rack the bar in a 1/4 squat position then drop down the rest of the way. That is about 2x as high as you need to pull the bar. It really should not ever get more than slightly above your waist when you pull, the rest is you driving your body underneath the bar so that you recieve it at the bottom of the squat. This will allow you to do significantly more weight as you will not have to pull it as high

You work on both of those things and you could probably pull significantly more than you did there I don't know as much about the jerk and since it got cut off i figure ill just leave you with the clean info, hope it helps and keep working hard!

-Robert
Old 05-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
Chad Skola

Profile:

The weight is to heavy for you. You lost a good lumbar curve for a moment and when you jerked your arms were not locked out. When you feet hit the ground your arms should at the same moment be locked overhead so you can just stand it up.

You also did a slight upright row and you did not fully extend the hips before pulling yourself back under the bar. This is probably why you rowed it because you did not get full power out of the hips.

Lower the load and work on it. I would start with a PVC and work your way back up. Treat the PVC as though it was a heavy load so you do the correct movement every single time.

What was that load anyway?
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cavin View Post
I've been mainly focusing on learning the O-lifts over the past three or so weeks (with Dutch from CrossfitATM) and here's where I am with the c&j. This was a max clean for me. I didn't get it overhead, which is obvious, but the video shuts off. I've got a lot of things I've noticed that need work, but I'd like to hear what others say. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUl2K2d3RLM
Before anything else, butt should start lower, arms long =like ropes and chest up and tight..then you can work on the clean. get the correct start position first!
Old 05-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Drew Cavin

Profile:

Thanks for the tips. I definitely need to set a start position. I know I have done better lifts, but I just have the one video for now. I'll keep working with lower loads. I may post some more videos for critique. it is sooo helpful to watch them!