CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
Carla Tremblay

Profile:
Carla's Workout Log

I just learned about CrossFit last week and I can't believe I've been missing out on this! I'm super excited about the year ahead!!!

Monday, 4/21/08

6:00am

20 minute continuous hill repeats - sprint up, jog down. ~ 1 minute for each loop

12:00pm

45 minute spin class

6:00pm

Finished in 40:59

3 Rounds of:

10 Burpees
100 Jump Rope
50 Squats
20 Situps
25 KB Swings (L/R) - 15 lb
20 Pullups (Assisted with Green Band)
20 Box Jumps
20 Pushups (Modified on Knees)
400m Run

Tuesday, 4/22/08

30 minute trail run
Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Carla Tremblay

Profile:
Re: Carla's Workout Log

Okay, so a little history on myself... I've been mainly into running and biking for the past 8 years with some weightlifting and calisthenics mixed in. I’ve also done a little bit of rock climbing and kayaking during this time.

I'm adopting this new fitness regimen because I want to get faster, stronger, and just better rounded athletically. I’m signed up for the San Antonio Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon on November 16th. I’d like to see how this new training will help me will that.

I read about the Pose Method yesterday in CrossFit’s 64th issue (December 2007). Even though I’ve been running for 8 years it has always been hard for me. I incorporated the Pose principles into the run part of my workout last night. It is so different from how I currently run that it was a bit awkward. I didn’t realize how bad my running technique was until I read this article. Even though it was awkward I immediately saw how these changes would make my running more efficient. I’ve been wasting a lot of energy over the past 8 years!!!

Another change I’m going to incorporate into my marathon training is less running!! Sounds silly huh?? However, I think with CrossFit 3-4 times per week running 2-3 times per week will be enough. Previously, for marathon training I ran 5-6 days per week but I was always suffering from injuries.

My goal for this marathon is to finish under 3:40. My history for marathon times has been as follows.

2000 San Diego Rock ‘n’ Roll – 4:42:52
2001 Chicago Marathon – 4:01:20
2002 Houston Marathon – 3:57:20
2007 Houston Marathon – 3:54:31

So…. 15 minutes is a big chunk to cut out but I know I can make it happen with the changes I’m making!!!!

Last night I also tried to complete one pull-up from a dead hang – couldn’t do it! I also tried kipping. That is really hard! I’ve been watching the videos but that is just very difficult for me. I couldn’t get that either. So another goal of mine for this year is to be able to do 5 dead hang pull-ups and to get the kipping motion down.

I’m really looking forward to this journey ahead! I have been looking for something different and it is funny how this just fell into my lap. Now there is so much new information for me to absorb with the message boards, the CrossFit journals, the exercise videos, and all these new techniques to learn!!!

Now for my workout post…

Wednesday, 4/23/08

Finished in 29:38

400m Run
50 Pullups (Assisted with Green Stripe Band)
400m Run
50 Pushups (10 regular, 40 modified on knees)
400m Run
50 Situps
400m Run
50 Air Squats
200m Run
25 Pullups (Assisted with Green Stripe Band)
200m Run
25 Pushups (5 regular, 20 modified on knees)
200m Run
25 Situps
200m Run
25 Air Squats

And I’m sleeping great after these workouts!!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Colleen Quigley

Profile:

Looking good, I just started posting too this week. Your running is way ahead of mine! Less running for marathon training is common with CF, lots of people on the boards post better times with less running...

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Carla Tremblay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen Quigley View Post
Looking good, I just started posting too this week. Your running is way ahead of mine! Less running for marathon training is common with CF, lots of people on the boards post better times with less running...

Good luck!
Thanks!! I'm really excited and motivated right now. I checked out your log. Keep up the good work, you are doing awesome!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Veronica Davis

Profile:

Thanks for giving your background. I'm in awe of anyone who does a marathon. Anything over a mile is a long distance run for me. LOL. You are one hardcore, chick. I look forward to reading your progress as you prepare to Rock and Roll in November.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Alix Clark

Profile:

Hey Carla - welcome to CF. I only started a month ago myself and am absolutely loving it! 10km is about my running limit so I'm in awe of anyone who can run for 42km! My 5km running times have improved heaps recently - always a good thing! Have fun. a
Old 04-25-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
Carla Tremblay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Davis View Post
Thanks for giving your background. I'm in awe of anyone who does a marathon. Anything over a mile is a long distance run for me. LOL. You are one hardcore, chick. I look forward to reading your progress as you prepare to Rock and Roll in November.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Clark View Post
Hey Carla - welcome to CF. I only started a month ago myself and am absolutely loving it! 10km is about my running limit so I'm in awe of anyone who can run for 42km! My 5km running times have improved heaps recently - always a good thing! Have fun. a
Hey Veronica & Alix! Thanks for the support. That is what I love about this community. I am looking forward to seeing all of our improvements over the next year!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:01 AM   #8
Carla Tremblay

Profile:

Thursday, 4/24/08

Last night I learned how to do a “Thruster”. I love it. What a powerful movement! I did the workout with the 35 lb bar. Next time I will try it with the 45 lb bar and see how that goes. I’d like to focus on my form and technique before I get too crazy with the weight. Prior to CrossFit everything about my squats was wrong… Weight on my toes, leaning forward, not going deep enough… It’s getting better though. One day at a time!!

Finished in 12:21

100 Thrusters for Time (35 lb bar)

Friday, 4/25/08

Friday’s are typically a rest day for me. I travel weekly for work so on Friday I just try to get all my work done so I can take an early flight back home! Back to CrossFit tomorrow in San Antonio!!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Carla Tremblay

Profile:

Saturday, 4/26/08

9:00am

As Many Rounds as Possible in 20 minutes

Completed 5 rounds and 4 box jumps

30 box jumps
30 dips (on parallel bars with feet on ground)
200 meter run
Old 04-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
Colleen Quigley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Tremblay View Post
Saturday, 4/26/08

9:00am

As Many Rounds as Possible in 20 minutes

Completed 5 rounds and 4 box jumps

30 box jumps
30 dips (on parallel bars with feet on ground)
200 meter run
Nice work! Nice time on the thrusters too.