CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
Ryan Saul

Profile:
Children's vaccinations

I was wondering what other parents felt about the vaccinations that are given to babies. My mom was always against it and we never got shots as kids. My wife's parents are both doctors and they are the opposite. Both of our kids have had the first couple rounds of shots but I am really uneasy about it. I've read a lot on the subject and it a lot of it is really concerning, especially the link to autism. I know that in the end it is my wife and my choice but I thought that if I was to get opinions it would be from the people whose opinion I value the most, and that is the CrossFit community. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Old 03-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
Re: Children's vaccinations

There is ABSOLUTELY NO link between autism and vaccines!!!

Vaccines protect and save lives by protection infants, children and adultís illness or death due to vaccine-preventable diseases such as polio, whooping cough, and measles. Development of these vaccines saved thousands of babies that would have otherwise died or been seriously disabled every year from the diseases, but because immunization programs of the 20th century were so successful, many do not understand that the risk for these diseases is real. Vaccines prevented 14 million infections, $40 billion in medical costs, and most importantly, 33,000 deaths in one year alone! Remember vaccines are less effective when large numbers of parents opt out. And the more who opt out, the less protected ALL our children are.

Thimerosal: There is no scientific evidence that the low concentrations of thimerosal in vaccines caused any harm other than minor typical injection reactions such as redness or swelling. The elimination of thimerosal from vaccines (with the exception of some influenza vaccines) occurred in 1999 as a way to reduce preventable exposure to mercury. Many vaccines, including the Measles-Mumps-Rubella and chickenpox vaccine never contained thimerosal, and there brands of influenza vaccine that are thimerosal preservative-free.

As of 2001 all vaccines routinely recommended for children 6 years of age and under in the U.S. do not contain thimerosal

A study in 2002 followed more than 500,000 children in Denmark over 7 years and found no association between the MMR vaccination and autism.

Other studies released in 2007 further supported the 2002 study examining trends in vaccine use and changes in autism frequency additionally dispelling the myth that there is an association

In 2008 a retrospective analysis further supports the lack of a link since the prevalence at ages 3 to 5 years for autism increased for each birth year since 1999, during the period when exposure to thimerosal preservative in vaccines began to be reduced.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE vaccinate your children, for EVERYONE's sake...

Go here for even more information: http://www.aap.org/new/autisminfomain.html

There is, unfortunately, a LOT of poor information out there about vaccines and autism. I believe that is human nature to want something to 'blame' for autism, but vaccines are NOT it...

Karin

Old 03-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

The question is, which one of these vaccines are NECESSARY? Seriously. They give kids a stinkin' chicken pox vaccine nowadays. Give me a break. None of these diseases are life threatening, and if they are, their incidence rate is so incredibly low that the only cases of them known to exist lately have been due to the vaccine themself (aka not in "non-vaccinated children")

The other question you may want to ask yourself is, why is my child being injected with a vaccine made from a murdered unborn child (aka an aborted "fetus")? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

And before we even think of going down the political bandwagon, don't give me crap for this, it's the stinkin' truth, and nobody denies it.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
The question is, which one of these vaccines are NECESSARY? Seriously. They give kids a stinkin' chicken pox vaccine nowadays. Give me a break. None of these diseases are life threatening, and if they are, their incidence rate is so incredibly low that the only cases of them known to exist lately have been due to the vaccine themself (aka not in "non-vaccinated children")

The other question you may want to ask yourself is, why is my child being injected with a vaccine made from a murdered unborn child (aka an aborted "fetus")? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

And before we even think of going down the political bandwagon, don't give me crap for this, it's the stinkin' truth, and nobody denies it.
The incidence of vaccine reactions is still MUCH lower than the rates of mortality from the chicken pox vaccine. Children DO DIE from chicken pox; its not common, but it HAPPENS!!

I do not understand the suggestion above that vaccines are linked to aborted fetus spoken about above... yes, you can find links if you do the search listed, but none of the information is a legitimate (i.e. scientific) source. I believe that some vaccines originally were developed FROM fetal cells, but that does NOT mean that fetal cells are IN current vaccines. How vaccines are 'made' once developed depends on the type of vaccine (modified live, modified killed, killed, etc).

Either way, you children may NOT attend school without their vaccinations and so if you decide to not give vaccinations as a baby you are going to have to do it at school time!

Karin

Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

I dont want to get involved in this hot topic but there are ways around the school issue. They may be tough and it does vary from state to state (medical/religious/and other exemptions). I am not a believer in vaccines at this time. Most of my kids did not have the majority of their vaccines (thought process changed on my part as they were growing up) and all attended schools or are currently attending HS and college today!!

Actually when I was in grad school for social work I did my research and final analysis on this exact topic and how it relates to free choice/will!

I believe this recent thread that indirectly linked to this on Performance Menu as well (wfs). Just be aware that if you chose this route, it is probably best to keep in quiet and not talk about it all that much as it will surely erupt into controversy. There are organizations and meeting about this across the country where you may find others that share your beliefs too!

Best of luck in your decision. Oh and I would add, that although my kids pediatricians (switched several times due to relocation etc) did vaccinate kids, most were supportive of my family's individual decision enough to help me formulate letters etc.....

Old 03-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Jared Buffie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Kellerman View Post

Either way, you children may NOT attend school without their vaccinations and so if you decide to not give vaccinations as a baby you are going to have to do it at school time!

Karin
Actually all states offer exemptions on medical, religious or philosophical grounds. Get your facts straight.

Check out www.nvic.org

We decided not to vaccinate after prolonged research. That having been said, I am not anti-vaccine - I am "pro information".

I am staying out of this because this topic get heated quickly. Karin, you seem to think this issue is black and white. It is not. You say that there is no scientific link between Autism and vaccines. Tell that to a parent whose child develops symptoms immediately after a shot (Doug Flutie and thousands more). Also, the courts ruled recently that a case of Autism WAS linked to vaccines, and is therefore eligible for compensation under the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund.

The bottom line is that vaccines injure tens of thousands, if not millions of children per year (consider that the reporting rate of injuries, which is required under law, is under 10%). Get all the info, then make a decision you are comfortable with.

As for the chicken pox vaccine, the CDC stated themselves that the rationale behind it was economical. Fewer kids with chicken pox, fewer days of work missed by the parents. I thought that was common knowledge.

Last edited by Jared Buffie : 03-24-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
Ryan Saul

Profile:

I knew that this would be somewhat of a heated topic and I appreciate the responses so far.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Guy Crossland

Profile:

This was and still is a massive issue in the UK.It is really the MMR triple vaccination that spooked a lot of parents.Single jabs are available for these but cost...
It has been mired in controversy and Tony Blair refused to say if his infant son had had the MMR jab stating that it was nobodys buisness but his own.That of course is true but it did not inspire confidence in the jabs as alot of medical thought was that basically his son had not had the jab.
Take up rates are dipping low and so people predict epidemics...it is all very confusing.
I have 3 children who have not had the MMR but have had other jabs( whooping cough etc).

Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Sean McMaster

Profile:

My wife and I are struggling with this right now as well, Ryan. I would not say we are anti-vaccine, but after sifting through a lot of information I would not hesitate in saying that most people are not fully informed about the possible risks of vaccinating children. Especially young children under the age of two. And especially when multiple vaccinations are given simultaneously. We are probably going to follow a vaccination schedule that differs greatly from the typically-recommended schedule, eliminating some vaccinations and postponing others.

Karin, I totally understand what you are saying about the effectiveness of vaccines and how opting out hurts the population as a whole. I have also seen the results of not being vaccinated (I have a friend who is permanently disabled from polio) - BUT - I think it is totally inappropriate for the government to try to force us into any kind of medical procedure, no matter how much they think it will benefit us or the population. So, yeah. Them's my thoughts on that topic.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Kellerman View Post
The incidence of vaccine reactions is still MUCH lower than the rates of mortality from the chicken pox vaccine. Children DO DIE from chicken pox; its not common, but it HAPPENS!!

I do not understand the suggestion above that vaccines are linked to aborted fetus spoken about above... yes, you can find links if you do the search listed, but none of the information is a legitimate (i.e. scientific) source. I believe that some vaccines originally were developed FROM fetal cells, but that does NOT mean that fetal cells are IN current vaccines. How vaccines are 'made' once developed depends on the type of vaccine (modified live, modified killed, killed, etc).

Karin
Heh, no they're not, and they can kiss my sweet if they try to force it on my kids.

And there are some vaccines that are only made with murdered unborn babies, and there is no other choice of vaccine "brand" for those particular vaccines.

The thing is, the majority of these vaccines are pointless. In the event of something like a smallpox outbreak, there'd likely be a legitimate need for it. But this is just like this BS with pulling all infant cold medicines off the shelves because 4 kids died over the last 25 years (because their stupid parents overdosed them with a lethal dose) it's stupid.

I mean, a flu vaccine? Run like sheep to the local vaccination center if you're a child or over 65 because YOU'RE GOING TO DIE if you don't get it!!!! It's a sham.

Then we have the gardasil vaccine, don't EVEN get me started on that.

Closed Thread