CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Amy Crawford

Profile:
Too many nuts?

I've been about 85% paleo and IFing since mid November. I LOVE the results! I've been hitting the WODs very hard and consistently. I've gotten a lot stronger, and have leaned out quite a bit. In early November, I was at about 14-15% BF. Now I'm down around 12%, maybe even less, but am still menstruating (sorry if TMI). I haven't had my BF checked since before Xmas, but it's definitely leaner than it's ever been, and I've seen 12% before. I started at about 120-123#, and now about 124-5#. Obviously muscle weight.

With the paleo and IFing, I'm finding that I eat a lot of nuts. Not just a few here and there. The other day while at work I probably ate 1c each walnuts and almonds, and a good dose of pumpkin nuts thrown in for good measure. Then an orange. While that was a bit much even for me, I don't limit myself with the nuts. I eat a lot of fruit - it's just so easy for me, both fresh and dried. Same with the nuts.

If I'm seeing good results, should I just go with it? Or am I setting myself up for some problems? Otherwise my diet consists of local, grass fed beef, poultry, pork, eggs, and fresh fish at least once a week. At supper I'll eat 2 huge servings of different veggies, along with the meat, and lunch usually consists of some sort of greens (spinach, kale, cabbage) sauteed in olive oil, with either a couple of eggs or meat with it.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated! So much great information on this board!!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Brad Davis

Profile:
Re: Too many nuts?

A huge thread on the subject:
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=1977 (WFS)

I've wondered some lately about my nut intake also. I've been eating about a cup per day. My nut and egg intake have both increased dramatically over the last few months and so have my joint inflammation issues, so I'm wondering if one or the other is causing a problem.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Grant Scalf

Profile:

It seems to me you are pretty dialed in on your diet. Plenty of people go 2 or even 3 times the blocks of fat when doing the Zone. When you're active you need some extra calories to fuel your workouts and such. Why not get them from nuts and seeds? My only worry is if you were exaggerating or not on your consumption of 1c each of almonds and walnuts. 1 cup of dry roasted almonds is a little over 800 calories. But almonds are chock full of phosphorous, copper, zinc, magnesium and a slew of other good vitamins and minerals. So eat to your heart's content if you're getting the results you want.

Are you supplementing with anything?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
A huge thread on the subject:
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=1977 (WFS)
I just read this thread and it's great. Definitely check it out!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Amy Crawford

Profile:

thanks for the quick response guys.

The example of 1 cup each of those nuts was an extreme one, but not by a lot. The the nuts are raw (don't know if that matters for caloric intake). I break my fast almost always with a good handful (probably 1/4c) of nuts and some dried fruit. Then lunch. Then I grab a handful of nuts and/or dried fruit again when I walking out the door to work (I leave around 1 pm).

I supplement with a women's raw vitamin, probiotic, Ca, and omega-3. But that's when I remember, which is probably only 50% of the time. I'm so used to taking them in the AM, but since I don't break my fast until lunch time, I just forget. I'm working on that one.

I'd love to get a full cholesterol/lipid profile (had the whole screen done last year), but that costs $. And I'm reluctant to tell my allopathic MD what I've been doing, as many MDs know little to nothing about nutrition.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I'm a little confused, Amy. You said you were doing IF and Paleo, but then you also say that you snack on nuts/fruits/etc. throughout the day, and mention eating both lunch and dinner. Just curious if maybe you made a typo or something.

When I was IF'ing, I was doing about 80-85% Paleo as well (not currently; doing Starting Strength for the time being). I'd eat about 3 meals during my feeding window, each with between 15-20 almonds or so. So every day it'd be somewhere around 60 almonds. I felt fine, except I can only stand so much before I develop at least some distaste for them.

Paleo is all in favor of fruit, but I believe the common approach is to limit them at least to some degree, and to be getting more veggies instead. I'm not sure the validity of this claim or where I remember hearing it from. I think it might be more of Zone philosophy that made its way over to Paleo. Fruit is a great source of good carbs for a Zone diet, provided you're eating the right kinds of fruit, but I'm really not sure how it works towards Paleo.

My understanding of Paleo is that you basically eat what you want, in the quantities that you want, provided that it's "Paleo."

If I were you: getting good results, no noticeable side effects, good energy, performance, etc., I'd stick with it. If there's any question, you could go have some blood work done to see if there's anything going on inside that you should know about.

I'm sure there's an upper limit to the amount of nuts one should consume, and I think if you were eating 3 cups of nuts within a 5-8 hour feeding window, it might be a little bit excessive. Sorry I don't really have any science to back up any of this...
Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Er, you posted right as I was posting. I guess you can disregard most of what I said
Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Thanks Elliot. I do appreciate the input.

Maybe I should try to limit my nut intake, but I'm wondering with what? I simply really like the convenience of the fat/calorie ladened snack. I know that it usually takes about 30 minutes before your stomach realized that it's sated. But I'm almost always rushing out the door for work, and I hate the concept of being hungry once I break my fast. Also, I want to make sure that I am taking in enough calories during my 4-8 hour window.

Ah, just a fine case of life getting in the way of life. Or, the devil's in the details!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Crawford View Post
Thanks Elliot. I do appreciate the input.

Maybe I should try to limit my nut intake, but I'm wondering with what? I simply really like the convenience of the fat/calorie ladened snack. I know that it usually takes about 30 minutes before your stomach realized that it's sated. But I'm almost always rushing out the door for work, and I hate the concept of being hungry once I break my fast. Also, I want to make sure that I am taking in enough calories during my 4-8 hour window.

Ah, just a fine case of life getting in the way of life. Or, the devil's in the details!
I pretty much gave up nuts!! I usually eat an avocado a day too! Pretty portable. Take along a knife and spoon and eat on the go!!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Crawford View Post
...Maybe I should try to limit my nut intake, but I'm wondering with what? ...
I've wondered the same thing lately. Some of the smart folks in the PM thread seem to think that a handful of nuts should be about it for a day. That might be a 1/4 cup or so. They're concerned with anti-nutrients. If one's following the Zone Diet, that's a snap with quantities like 1 mac nut equals a block. I usually eat a lot more fat than that, though.

Sometimes I really feel like there's nothing left that's safe to eat in any sizeable quantity other than leaves and grassfed beef (very slight exaggeration). I thought I had the fat part nailed down with almonds, mac nuts, and walnuts.