CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Aaron Moburg-Jones

Profile:
I got a muscle-up ... now what?

It is a little embarassing how long this took me, but I will blame it largely on the fact that I have been on the rings like 10 times in my life (5 if you subtract gymnastics for six year olds).

But, now that I did it, I realized I am a long way from two in a row because I can't keep my false grip after I press up and drop back down. One possible problem is that my false grip is way high up on the ring. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Another possible problem is that my rings are slippery. Or maybe I'm just bad at them or doing something obviously wrong. Do you folks run into this problem with ring/gymnast newbies often? Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron
Old 01-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Brett Andrus

Profile:
Re: I got a muscle-up ... now what?

Aaron,

Had the same problem. A fellow CFer at the TX cert was kind enough to instruct me to lower slowly and only go as low as I could while maintaining the grip... next thing I knew I was getting 3 in a row. Just focusing on lowering only to where the grip was maintained allowed me to keep it. It took some strength, but I kept it.

Then, Nasty Girls came up as the WOD.

Now, my wrists are a little scraped up from the grip and there's some blood on the athletic tape we have on our rings, but my time for that WOD was better than halved!

I'm trying the bar next!
Brett
Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Holding the false grip through multiple reps takes practice. Your false grip should be in the bottom of the ring, not on the side. Slippery rings does make it tougher. Scrape them up and use chalk
Old 01-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Aaron Moburg-Jones

Profile:

Thanks for the tips guys. I was hoping the answer was largely "just work more at it." That seems doable. Of course lowering slowly is telling someone who is already deadlifting more that they should that they should gently put the bar back on the ground. I'll have to get a bit stronger. More ring dips should help that.

As for the false grip problem, it is REALLY hard for me to hold that. I'll do what I can to make the rings less slick, but is it possible that wrist flexibility or some other quark of anatomy make that hard for me to hold?

Aaron
Old 01-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I keep repeating this and sound like a broken record by now, but that's just because it made so much difference for me. Put some chalk on your hands and your grip will be much stronger, especially if you are using elite rings, I find them very slippery when trying to hold the grip with sweaty hands.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 01-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

You have to let your hands slide down to your wrist as you are lowering to get back into the false grip.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Aaron Moburg-Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
You have to let your hands slide down to your wrist as you are lowering to get back into the false grip.
Steven,

I don't think I understand what you just said.

And thanks, Alexander. I wasn't using chalk and probably don't appreciate how much it will help when I do (see above comments about number of times on rings).
Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:

It sounds dumb, but I couldn't do it until I got chalk. This may or may not be an easy fix for you.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Jeff Yan

Profile:

In one of the videos, isn't it mentioned that people are often more successful when suspending oneself first and then working your way into the false grip while dangling (as opposed to getting a false grip on the rings first and then lifting your feet off the ground)? If so, would this translate to improved consecutive MUs?

I'd link, but I'm lazy.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Look at one of my vids and you'll see how to do it. wfs

http://wam.umd.edu/~slow/30MUs.avi

Basically look at the first two sets. When I start descending I let my hands slide a bit so the crook of my wrists sits on the rings when I get below the rings. On the last one of the first set of 5 I basically let my hands lose the false grip and you can see that I struggled (for no reason at all). It requires practice.... but it's fairly easy to do once you get the hang of it. Try putting the rings to about waist height and use the ground to slow down the movement so you can get where you shift your wrists back into a false grip.