CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #51
James Falkner

Profile:
Re: East Coast CF Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Gilson View Post
Dude, what? If you're not looking to PR at the CF Games, where the heck are you looking to PR?!?!

Best,

Jon
I usually expect PRs when I am fresh - not after a day and a half of competition.
Yeah, I give it my all though.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #52
Justin Algera

Profile:

Would love to go to Florida and compete "back home"... But Albany is closer now so Im down! Can't wait.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #53
Dedrick Gaddy

Profile:

If we are not going to do a total CFT, it hurts the people like me that are not the best runners. I think I would get most of my points or at least a trophy for the CFT. Right now it is around 1275. I have work to do with the running, but the WOD are pretty good. I have to decide whether to go to FL or NY
Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #54
Jason Ackerman

Profile:

I would really like to hit the full CFT. It will depend on how many people attend and if any other affiliates can bring some bumpers and squat stands.

So...any local affiliates planning on attending that can manage to bring any equipment - bumpers, squat stands, rowers, KB, etc. Please contact me and let me know. Also if we can figure out a way to set up some pullup bars outdoors that would be great.

We have a big outdoor area that would be awesome for the East Coast CF challenge!

Can't Wait!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #55
Michael Bissaillon

Profile:

Jason,
I'm less than an hour away and would be happy to bring bumpers. The whole CFT is the only way to go.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #56
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

If you're handy, you can just build yourself a new set with piping, anchor it down with some plates if you don't want to dig a couple of holes for the bases.

Regarding the CFT, why not have people take their presses from the floor ala weightlifting comps? That'll test some squatting ability.

I really like the idea of added challenges; besides MU/PU challenges we could have weight throw/discus, VJs, etcetera. You could even screw around and have a dunk contest (on lower rims for those who need it).
Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #57
Jason Ackerman

Profile:

Brian,

I am not that handy. Any chance you are and willing to take a trip?

I like the challenge ideas...
Old 01-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #58
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Heh... depends. I am good in thinking in geometric figures. If I weren't preoccupied with studying I'd draw you a figure with dimensions of what I would think is appropriate for the station.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #59
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Heh, don't let young Brian trick you into adding the discus or other T&F challenges, he's just stacking the odds in his own favor )

And my prediction is he won't even need that to blow most people out of the water.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #60
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Hey, Guys, some random thoughts.

I was at the Games last year and I'm currently in RI. I'll be going again this year and would like to attend this one.

1 - Gotta do the whole CFT. It's not prohibitively hard to run/judge, you just need to have about 3-4 stations going at once with maybe 3-4 staff at each. Rip was super formal about it, but those of us outside (Nicole was my judge) just helped out on spotting and swapping weights. We also had ourselves organized by what we knew we could lift and worked our warmups in with other people's lifts. e.g. I knew my max DL was over 400, so when another guy was doing his lift at 385, after he was done, I did one rep as a warmup. This saves having a separate warmup area. Didn't diminish the comp at all and there was great camaraderie.

2 - The trail run at Aromas was up and down a friggin' mountain. Everyone walked the uphills - it was just a matter of who could run higher up before they started walking. I felt like I was back in Afghanistan. I am not looking forward to it again. So, those are not really "5K" times.

3 - I believe the top male and top female CFers got $500 cash in addition to the medals.

4 - 4 squat stands would be enough to run the CFT.

5 - The hopper consisted of colored balls with exercises written on them. Blue was light, Red was heavy, Yellow was Coach's choice. So, when a red ball came up with push jerks on it, we knew it was heavy pj's. There was a massive pullup station, so we knew that would be on there and C2 had donated a ton of rowers, so by default we were going to have that, also. Thus, it was Row 1000m and then 5 rounds of 25 pullups and 7 push jerks (135 lb for men and I think 95 for women). You had 20 mins to finish and then you were ranked in order from first-last based upon finishing times and then any subs. If you subbed, you could not be ahead of someone who did it "as rx'd".

6 - There was a formula for how to "add up" the relative rankings based upon CFT, run, and results on the hopper. I have no idea how they weighted it. I believe they also used the Oly lifting formula for determining who had the "better" lift based upon body weight for the CFT. You could ask Dave Castro for the details.

7 - You can call me by going to my firm's website www(dot)nmjg(dot)com and then looking up my bio. My contact info is there.

Look forward to seeing you guys in May if I can make it. Probably drive up and come out I-90. Cheers.