CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Rollo Hilbery

Profile:

Question Hgh

What are the opinions on HGH round these parts?

http://www.ghr1000.com/

http://hghlook.com/

http://www.eternalhgh.com/
Old 01-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
Re: Hgh

Why take a supplement when you can naturrally try to enhance the production of HGH by following quite simple principles?

Paleo eating ( insulin spike blunts the release of HGH), Zone Proportions, with some nice IF (Intermitent Fasting / more HGH through the different cycles you go through each day), a good stimulation of HGH production like crossfit, and a complete night of sleep .

I'm pretty biaised though, the only supplement I tolerate is fish oil and protein powder.

Perhaps run a little search on HGH and insulin spike and you might come to the same conclusion,

Good luck!

Last edited by Frederic Giraud : 01-03-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: sleep of night ....
Old 01-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
Dave Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo Hilbery View Post
What are the opinions on HGH round these parts?

http://www.ghr1000.com/

http://hghlook.com/

http://www.eternalhgh.com/
If it's legal, it's not HGH (unless it's one or two molecules of HGH or IGF in an entire bottle, which IMO is legal because it's pretty much worthless). It'll probably be some combo of aminos that have been shown in labratory tests to temporarily increase your body's own HGH production.

If you find one that helps you get a decent night's sleep in addition to the HGH pulse, then, at the very least, you'll get a decent night's sleep.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:

ive tried some of the supposed hgh products, they did nothing for me. ive read that large muscle group exercises like squats and deadlifts are the best for producing it, and also glutamine boosts it quite a bit. In my bodybuilding experience ive tried just about every style of supplement (no2,animal stack,creatines,weight gainers,pro horomones,insulin boosters,test boosters)and 6 years later have found only a few truths 1. diet outweighs all supplements 2. pure creatine monohydrate with dextrose works well for me. 3. glutamine works well in many areas.4. bodybuilding in the truest sense is extremely unfunctional for strength. and they are dirt cheap, what a rip off gnc.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Rollo Hilbery

Profile:

I'm not looking into HGH as a potential supplement, but i cam across it randomley and was wondering what others thought, specifically about the first website. They, and countless testimonials claim that it prevents or slows aeging, gives you more energy, and boosts performance in many aspects of life etc etc, and that all the ingredients are natural. Apparentley all the actors in Hollywood take it to prevent aging.

Of course diet is the key though, but it is very hard or expensive to eat grassfed this and that. Some just cannot afford it.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kaeating View Post
ive tried some of the supposed hgh products, they did nothing for me. ive read that large muscle group exercises like squats and deadlifts are the best for producing it, and also glutamine boosts it quite a bit. In my bodybuilding experience ive tried just about every style of supplement (no2,animal stack,creatines,weight gainers,pro horomones,insulin boosters,test boosters)and 6 years later have found only a few truths 1. diet outweighs all supplements 2. pure creatine monohydrate with dextrose works well for me. 3. glutamine works well in many areas.4. bodybuilding in the truest sense is extremely unfunctional for strength. and they are dirt cheap, what a rip off gnc.

I co-sign this statement. Diet outweighs any supplement by so much it's not really even a suggestion of mine to use supplements. However I do use Beta-Alanine and Creatine with an asprin pre-workout along side my fish-oil. But both of those products are what they refer to as bulk supplements.

I recall on bb.com someone told me about an excellent hgh release workout it was 3x5deadlift,3x5squat,3x5bench press.Using your 5rm.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #7
Rollo Hilbery

Profile:

Asprin? Why?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo Hilbery View Post
I'm not looking into HGH as a potential supplement, but i cam across it randomley and was wondering what others thought, specifically about the first website. They, and countless testimonials claim that it prevents or slows aeging, gives you more energy, and boosts performance in many aspects of life etc etc, and that all the ingredients are natural. Apparentley all the actors in Hollywood take it to prevent aging.

Of course diet is the key though, but it is very hard or expensive to eat grassfed this and that. Some just cannot afford it.
actors aren't taking this crap...they'll take the real thing.

hGH is a wonderful drug for some people. but its nothing to play around with and is extremely expensive for the real deal.

most of its benefits can honestly be attained through a good diet, regular exercise and plenty of sleep. That's not a "sexy" answer, but hGH is serious stuff.

don't worry about the grassfed brouhaha...eat it and organic when you can afford it, otherwise just stick to making healthy meals from scratch. Cut out all man-made chemicals, additives and preserves. Getting into stuff like grassfed, organic, etc..is the icing on the cake to me. Take care and perfect everything else first.

also: try to find a local farmer or butcher...some will let you buy a cow...literally...you'll have all of your beef in various cuts in a deep freeze for most of the year. I had a friend do this...I want to say it was "only" a couple hundred dollars, like $200-$300...but that was chump change compared to the amount of meat they had...plus it was grassfed. I'm sure you can find something like that in the UK.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
Eric Tuley

Profile:

Those web sites are selling crap.

Here would be the real thing...

http://www.hcg5000.net/index.shtml

You SERIOUSLY need to talk with a Doctor before even considering HRT. This is not some "summer slim in 6 diet plan".

Release and action of GH and IGF-1: GHRH (growth hormone releasing hormone) and SST (somatostatin) are released by the hypothalamus to stimulate or inhibit the output of GH by the pituitary. GH has direct effects on many tissues, as well as indirect effects via the production of IGF-1. IGF-1 also causes negative feedback inhibition at the pituitary and hypothalamus. Heightened release of somatostatin affects not only the release of GH, but insulin and thyroid hormones as well.

HGH itself does carry with it some of its own risks. The most predominantly discussed side effect would be acromegaly, or a noticeable thickening of the bones (notably the feet, forehead, hands, jaw and elbows). The drug can also enlarge vital organs such as the heart and kidney, and has been linked to hypoglycemia and diabetes (presumably due to its ability to induce insulin resistance). Theoretically, overuse of this hormone can bring about a number of conditions, some life threatening. Such problems however are extremely rare. Among the many athletes using growth hormone, we have very few documented cases of a serious problem developing. When used periodically at a moderate dosage, the athlete should have little cause for worry. Of course if there are any noticeable changes in bone structure, skin texture or normal health and well being during use, HGH therapy should be completely halted.

Last edited by Eric Tuley : 01-04-2008 at 12:57 PM.