CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Steven Anderson

Profile:
Coffee on the zone

I love coffee and I really do not want to give it up. The way I drink coffee too is kind of like dessert. I have cream with my coffee and good old regular white sugar. It truly is my only vice. If I brew my own coffee at home, I usually have two decent size cups, usually by itself (no breakfast) and then workout. If I don't brew my own I'm over at Starbuck buying a "Venti" (a large) again with added cream and sugar. For any Zone experts, will this morning brew keep me from "entering the zone?" Or will this one vice be okay providing I am eating extremely clean and working out hard and smart?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
Re: Coffee on the zone

Well the fact is, if you add cream and sugar to your coffee, it's not zonish/paleo at all anymore.

Black coffee is ok and fits well though.

Now would that one vice be ok? Your the only judge. How much you want those goals you fixed to yourself, etc...

Personnaly I'm like you. Coffee is pretty much my only vice ( except on cheatin' days... but that's another story) , I drink it black but put so much sugar in it, it's blasphemy

But I feel totally allright about it, it's practically the only source of sugar in my diet when I follow it, so I find it to be ok.

Remember the 4 pillars of health!

-Nutrition
-Exercice
-Enjoyment of life/stress
-Recovery/rest

So if stopping to put cream in your coffe would make your enjoyment of life quite less enjoyfull, perhaps that little downgrade in your nutrition is better than the big downgrade it could make on your quality/enjoyment of life

my 2 canadian cents!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Frederic,
Hell, great outlook man! My results are great and I feel great. I have just started reading "Enter the Zone" (on chapter 6). I haven't applied any of the strict eating, measuring yet. My diet, in and of its own is very clean, but probably not "zoneish" yet, (gotta get the whole block thing down). I was just curious on the take on coffee. I like your approach. When I do embark on the more strict zone way, I'll keep coffee in the mix. Though I'm reading the book now, I can assure you my implementing the zone won't come until after the holidays, if you know what I mean.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Anderson View Post
Though I'm reading the book now, I can assure you my implementing the zone won't come until after the holidays, if you know what I mean.
Hehe I've been on a sloppy edge since all that Christmas hype has been around!

I think that if your happy with your results and you achieve your goals while drinking your coffee with all that goodness in it, then more power to you.

Remember that consistency is the point here. Long-term good health habits that will become natural for you. And the only way of making them more natural is with consistency.

It's also the hardest part of the equation...

Now good luck, train hard and Fuel your body according to your needs mate!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
Tyler Weir

Profile:

Frederic already answered, but I'd keep in mind that your question is not about coffee in this case, it's about refined sugar and cream.

So sure, keep coffee in your diet, but drop the sugar and the cream.

I switched to black coffee about 3 months ago and I don't think I could have it with milk now, let alone cream and sugar. You'll get used to it.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Steven,

The cream can be considered a fat block on the zone, even though it's not paleo. I still drink half and half in my coffee and I don't think I'll ever give it up.

While some foods are better for your health than others, you can still eat almost anything and stay "in the zone": just keep the ratios right.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Sue Chen

Profile:

Milk has the perfect distribution of the macro nutrients, so is very Zone friendly. The added fat in cream would be that, added fat blocks.

My vice is hot chocolate, no milk, just cocoa powder mixed with hot water sweetened with Stevia, (maybe some cayenne pepper for a Mexican hot chocolate). Stevia is a great natural sweetener, and 40 times sweeter than sugar, so you need only a small bit. You can find it in most health food stores. (Get the kind that's 100% stevia, not the kind that has an additive.)

So, my opinion is the cream is fine, but try to find a different sweetener if you can't wean yourself off sweetened coffee.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I'd really try to lose the sugar. It's just not worth it to be eating pure sugar every day unless it's truly your heart's desire.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Jack Gayton

Profile:

I agree w/ Brandon. Ditch the sugar if you can.

I have been a coffee addict for years now. I'm probably never going to give up my morning coffee, but what I did was opt for "quality" over "quantity". Instead of a cup on the drive in, one at 10:30 and then an afternoon jolt, I treat myself to one quality coffee a day. Usually starbucks. I add some cream, and just enjoy the flavor of the coffee. Takes some getting used to, but well worth it.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
Jason Naubur

Profile:

I love my coffee too. And not that it makes much difference, but I was reading the labels on the milk / cream cartons one day and noticed that once it gets 'fatter' than whole milk (homo) the protein drops way down to almost nothing.

I can't imagine why, nor is the amount I'm drinking that much, but still...I use whole milk now.

j