CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Suggestions for whey protein

My current supply of whey protein from GNC is about to run up and I need suggestions on some good cheap whey protein. I tried to research on the boards but many of the products people have suggested simply go into debate over what they contain that's good or bad. Does anyone have any suggestions for some whey protein that is simply just whey protein without all the other crap involved plus at a fair or cheap price. Or should I just stick with my normal GNC brand of whey protein? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Garrett Bartholme

Profile:
Re: Suggestions for whey protein

I get EAS 100% Whey from Sam's Club at $28 for 6 pounds. Cheapest price I ever found, last a long time too.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Michael Dykstra

Profile:

www.proteinfactory.com they have 5lb bags for 25 bucks
Old 12-14-2007, 12:17 AM   #4
James Rios

Profile:

i myself have been using GNC 100%Whey for a while, but in between my last buy the price went up by ten dollars and right out of my price range. so looking for a new source of protein i went to a different local shop and found BSN Syntha 6. i don't know if you REALLY want to stay strictly whey (its a protein blend made from whet, egg, and i even think fish proteins) but this stuff works GREAT and tastes WAY better than GNC's protein EVER DID. it even dissolves cleaner into my milk. when i say works great i REALLY mean it too. i gained 5 pounds lean of muscle in around 3 weeks. I did my research and it has NO creatine or anything that didnt come from something that already naturally has protein in it. lastly it costs around 27$+tax for 30 scoops or 2.91 pounds

check it out, i love it!

Last edited by James Rios : 12-14-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #5
Steve Liberati

Profile:

I have to tell you to save your money. Protein mix is just pure junk. $30 bucks a month can buy a month's supply of chicken... or about 15 cans of wild salmon...or about 6 lbs of grassfed beef...or....well you get the point.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
I have to tell you to save your money. Protein mix is just pure junk. $30 bucks a month can buy a month's supply of chicken... or about 15 cans of wild salmon...or about 6 lbs of grassfed beef...or....well you get the point.
Steve;

Well put, but it's like talking to a wall.

With all the great info as to eating real food and the benefits of real food, why people still eat/drink a processed dairy product, probably being produced in China, is baffling.

Your examples are spot on and just touch on the possibilities of eating good quality foods, at reasonable prices and receiving 110% of the benefits of real food vs processed JUNK.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Hmmm... Do you guys call whey protein junk only because it is "processed"?
Processed is a very broad term to eliminate foods based on that criteria (almost any supplement is "processed" which is very different process for different substances). If you have serious proof that whey protein way of production makes it useless/harmful or the protein itself is Useless/harmful, please share it, I would really like to hear it.
As for cheap good source of protein I can recommend W/F safe http://www.trueprotein.com/
you can customize your protein completely, any flavor, any sweetener you want to use, any ratio of isolate/concentrate. You can save more if you order more, also visit http://www.intensemuscle.com/ (hardcore BB forum) and get additional % discount (many people there have a discount code in their signature, if you use it for your order they will get points and you will get a discount). The owner of this company is a hardcore bodybuilder himself (Dante, the inventor of Dogcrapp BB system) and a coach. You can be sure that the stuff he is selling will never be "made in China", people on this forum trust him like here everyone trusts in Coach.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 12-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Optimum Nutrition (ON) 100% Whey Protein Gold Standart

Delicious, cheap, and protein-packed.

Since I discovered those, it's pretty much the same as with crossfit... Never lookin' back to other products!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
$30 bucks a month can buy a month's supply of chicken
That's about what I spend on chicken per week ...

Seriously though, real food will always be better, but a good protein powder definitely comes in handy when you're in a pinch. I use Nitrean by AtLarge Nutrition - it's a blend, tastes awesome, mixes awesome, and the company is run by stand up guys who do a ton for the strength community.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
Will Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
That's about what I spend on chicken per week ...

Seriously though, real food will always be better, but a good protein powder definitely comes in handy when you're in a pinch. I use Nitrean by AtLarge Nutrition - it's a blend, tastes awesome, mixes awesome, and the company is run by stand up guys who do a ton for the strength community.
What makes the Nitrean blend special? It looks like regular whey isolate/concentrate blend with a small amount of casein peptides. It doesn't contain milk protein isolates or any casein worth mentioning. I could be wrong, but this product looks like fancy ON 100% Whey with a higher price tag.