CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-04-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
Beatriz Ariana

Profile:
Getting off of sugar

I am quite new to the crossfit workout. I am sore and loving it. I am working hard on doing the zone and paleo thing. Trouble is, I am having a rough time getting off of sugar. Looking for some advice? How did you do it?
thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Sean McMaster

Profile:
Re: Getting off of sugar

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but here are a couple things to consider:

1. Make an effort to plan out meals ahead of time, perhaps one week in advance. Having a plan and a shopping list is big step in the right direction.

2. If you are struggling, feeling deprived, craving "naughty" foods, etc., go ahead and eat whatever on the weekends, but stick to your guns on weekdays. Five days/week in the Zone is better than nothing. And once you start to see the results, you'll be motivated to take it further (or if you are satisfied with the results just keep on as you are).

Anyway, good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatriz Ariana View Post
I am quite new to the crossfit workout. I am sore and loving it. I am working hard on doing the zone and paleo thing. Trouble is, I am having a rough time getting off of sugar. Looking for some advice? How did you do it?
thanks
How bad to do you want to reach your goals or objectives??
Starting logging what you eat, notice the carb intake and quality of those carbs, start reducing intake of processed carbs, add in more veggies and fruit.
Add good fat to your diet, read every post in the nutrition section. Find/buy the CF Journal with article"Getting of the Crack(sugar)
Old 12-04-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
Beatriz Ariana

Profile:

thanks, just ordered the article and the subscription. thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Hey Beatriz, welcome to CrossFit!

How much sugar/carbs are you taking in a day?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Beatriz, if you can hold out without sugar for about three days--choose low-glycemic foods only from the food list in Crossfit Journal #21--the worst will be over. I've fallen and gotten back on the wagon enough to know once you're past that window the rest isn't easy, per se, but an awful lot easier. If you are used to eating a lot of sugar, you may want to start cutting your intake down on the weekend and then spend all day engaging in relaxing activities that will take your mind off the cravings.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
Beatriz Ariana

Profile:

thank you everone for the welcome and words of wisdom. I am getting up to speed.

Alicia - when I am doing the zone I am not doing any white sugars. I have also eliminated breads and brown rice.

Emily - It's funny that you mention the three day goal. That's usually how long I can last, and then I need sugar. I am hoping that by totally cutting out the grains, I wil have less of a struggle here. I do not want to "white knuckle" this. I want to look forward to the foods I am eating while eliminating the haunting cravings.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:59 AM   #8
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

I had to reform my diet in little steps. A complete overhaul--radically changing everything overnight--didn't work for me. Others are more successful at going cold turkey, but some of us need to sneak up on changes. So for what's it worth, here's one blueprint.

First, think about a hierarchy of changes, a series of steps you take one at a time. Construct the steps as you please, and don't take the next one until the first is a well-established habit.

Looking back, I'd say I made my changes in this order:

1. Eliminated nightly snacking on chips, cookies, cakes, ice cream etc. (Substituted 100 cal packs, Weight Watcher snack products, Skinny Cow ice creams)
2. Eliminated 100 cal packs, "diet" products, etc. and substituted whole food snacks: steel cut oats with peanut butter; cottage cheese with fruit and nuts, etc.
3. Eliminated most processed foods, and went the whole grain route: barley, quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat ( yes, I know it's a fruit)
4. Started eating paleo--now about 95%, I'd say, but I include raw milk cheeses, cottage cheese and Greek nonfat yogurt in moderate quantities.

Now these changes were over the course of several years, that's how much of a tortoise I am. But I'm glad to say I have lost 90 lbs. and I've been maintaining a healthy weight for 18 months now.

I also am no fan of the white knuckle approach. It's hard enough to make small, sustainable, incremental changes.

Good luck!
Susie
Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #9
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Find an old picture of yourself that you hate and stick it on the frig. Studies show the fear of staying the same or reverting back is a stronger motivational tool than what you imagine yourself looking like in the future. And toss any muscle mags you have lying around the house.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
Martin McVitty

Profile:

I find it hard with the junk food cravings too so I have made a deal with myself... on days when I'm training (3 days on 1 off) I eat clean then on rest days I can cheat a little. I find it is much easier to eat clean if you know you can pig out a little every few days. The cravings certainly subside as well.