CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-21-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
Michael Leach

Profile:
Resting between Reps - when its considered a set vs. heavy singles?

For the past couple years my workouts have all been based around bodyweight exercises - pullups, dips, pushups, ring work, etc. Recently, I picked up a barbell and some bumpers and i've been following the Starting Strength workouts for the past month or so. Well as the weights are getting heavier, so is my resting/breathing between reps. My benching and pressing isn't really affected too much - I can complete the 5 reps one after another, however, I find myself breathing a few times between each back squat and really huffing and puffing between my deadlift reps.

last night was my heaviest deadlifting yet, I did 200 x 5, but I probably took 6 or more breaths between each rep. Is that ok? is that still considered a set of 5? or would that be considered doing heavy singles?

for what its worth, i'm 5'4, 130lbs, and here's my #s so far:
squat 125x5x3
bench 160x5x3
press 95x5x3
deadlifting 200x5

I've been doing Squat/Bench/Deadlift or Squat/Press/Deadlift every other day and doing Crossfit WODs on the other days, as well as getting a day or two of rest when needed. I also want to start incorporating the cleans/powercleans into my workouts as I can feel the deadlifts starting to drain me and I dont think I'm recovering enough between workouts; I've just gotta read over that section again and start working on my form.

i'm just wondering if i should back the weight off and try to be quicker, or keep upping the weight each workout as long as I get my reps/sets.

thanks!
-mike
Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: Resting between Reps - when its considered a set vs. heavy singles?

I think what defines a "set of 5" vs. 5 singles is a bit subjective, especially for something like deadlifts. For say, bench, it's easy... if you rack the weight, the set is over. But for deads you're supposed to let it down fully. Personally, I think if you're waiting more than 2-3 seconds in-between reps (enough time to get back in position and take maybe 2 quick breaths) then you're really stretching the definition of a "set". If you have to take your hands off the bar and stand up for a few seconds, the "set" is definately over. But if you're only resting 5-10 seconds, it's hardly heavy singles, either, since you wouldn't be able to do 5 singles at 95 - 100% of your max that fast.

What you're describing sounds to me like you should back off just a bit for sets of deadlift, but bench and squat it's probably ok... you're not really "resting" in squats unless you rack the bar.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

It's more or less a hybrid. I'd say anything around 20-30s between reps heavy singles generally what you'd be shooting for is a larger amount of reps like 10 if you were using a 3 or 5 RM or something like that if you're resting that much. Excellent for hormonal stimulation.

If you're going for a "true" 1-5 RM try to keep the rest between them only a few seconds (mostly for reseting so DLs aren't touch and go and the like) at most unless you're really struggling which probably means you need to lower the weight a bit.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Michael Leach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
unless you're really struggling which probably means you need to lower the weight a bit.
ok, i'll back the weight off a little bit then. getting that 200lb deadlift off the ground is pretty freaking tough; I could probably go another 20-30lbs at my absolute most, but then I'd probably collapse on the ground afterwards.

another deadlift question; i was watching some deadlifting videos on youtube and in one of the videos the guy's nose just starts bleeding. one of the commenters said that it was due to the pressures in his head. granted he was lifting a whole bunch of weight - Im thinking it was like 300 or 400 kilos - but do nose-bleeds ever occur in Crossfit gyms?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Doubt the nosebleeds.. unless you're doing a CFT or other heavy lifting.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Jeremy Norwood

Profile:

Since you're doing Starting Strength, here's Rippetoe's answer to a similiar question (wfs): http://www.************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=494
Old 11-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

Between deadlifts, I routinely let go of the bar and stand up. Every rep I re-check my foot position, descend to the bar and grip it and stand back up. I only consider the set over if I deliberately rest (i.e. I'm not setting up for the next rep, I'm waiting to recover). This usually means my maximum 5 rep rep sets take about 30 seconds or so. Since I'm rest 5 minutes between sets, a few seconds between reps is peanuts. 5 Singles to me would be taking a full rest (again, for me it's 5 minutes) between reps. The important thing to me is de-weighting the deadlift and ensuring a proper setup and good pull...not rushing to the next rep.

For things like the bench press, yeah, racking ends the set for me. Same with other exercises if I put the bar down. But for "dead weight" lifting putting the bar down is part of good technique for me.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:26 AM   #8
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
Time between reps does not matter, unless it is extremely protracted, in which case the next rep will be s**t anyway. If all 5 reps are technically correct, the set is good. In our strength acquisition model used in SS:BBT, we are primarily concerned with getting all the reps of the set, not so much with how long it takes.
And that's the bottom line, because Rip said so!

Seriously Jeremy, thanks for the link. That's a great resource to have!!!

Thank you,
Colm