CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #41
Andy Wagner

Profile:
Re: Ronnie Coleman leg pressing

Oops! forgot the link.

http://www.kraft.is/ymislegt/Records.htm
Old 11-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #42
Andy Wagner

Profile:

For the record, I am 43 years of age and approx. 202 - 204 lbs.

My max deadlift is 510 lbs when I weighed about 220 lbs (before starting crossfit). My max deadlift while performing crossfit is 500 lbs in which I have performed on, I believe, six different deadlift WODs. The best 500 lb attempt was at 205 lbs bwt. (2.43 x bwt) sometime early last year. In the summer of 2006, I hurt my lower back and have had problems squatting and deadlifting since. I have been working my way back to a 455 lb deadlift first and then maybe a 500 lb deadlift will be in my future again. Two weeks ago, I pulled 430 lbs in good form. My back seems to be holding up.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #43
Steven Low

Profile:

I'm 5'8" at 130-135 lbs at 22 years. Yes, I'm light for my height, and my stomach is small. I have enough trouble as it is putting down 2.5 kcal per day considering I'm asian and most of my family weighs less than my weight (well, a couple people are heavier but they're also taller). I don't really want to gain much more weight anyway.. maybe 10 lbs or less. And yes, it will take a fair amount of work for me to DL 405 lbs (that's exactly about 3x bw for those of you who are counting).

Andy, yes we know that. But it will still take a fair amount of work to pull a high 2.x-3x+ bw for most of us under the 150 lbs mark.. not as easy as he/Rip was suggesting especially considering if we do NOT want weight gain because of our extracurricular activities (see David's rockclimbing and my gymnastics). I'm sure that 114 lbs guy who was DLing 600+ had weightlifting at least 5+ years if not 10 or more. For the record, most of the elite gymnasts with the insane strength to bodyweight ratios (see rings) are about 5'2-5'5" and weigh 120-140.

Last edited by Steven Low : 11-13-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #44
Andy Wagner

Profile:

Steve

Agreed. In order to deadlift 405 lbs weighing between 130 and 135 is not something one can accomplish overnight. But I did state that, with time, almost every crossfitter is capable of accomplishing this feat. LOL - a 5' 8" gymnast. That must be rough. Almost as rough as a 5' 8" college basketball player. I give you credit for doing what you love inspite of not being the proto typical 5' 2" - 5' 4" male gymnast.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #45
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
So, for the record, I'm 5'5", 155 pounds, and 52 years old.

Oh, and, for the record . . . I did this with *NO* additional DL training beyond what the WOD provides. None, nada, zilch. But my body structure (short, obviously, but with a fairly "normal" torso and ridiculously short legs) is probably a significant asset in deadlifting.

No offense to Kris, or to Rip . . . but stating that "anyone" can "easily" be trained to do a 405 DL is a bit of an overstatement, and undervalues what it takes to do that.

Maybe something like: "Most adult males can strengten and bulk up to do a 405 pound DL in 6 - 12 months of conscientious and challenging training" would seem (to me) more accurate.

David- Major kudos to you for DLing 405 while at 50 years old!! I can only hope that my body is able to do that 25 years from now. Much respect from me.

Yes, being short is an obvious advantage vs someone who is 6'5", but we have to play the hand we are dealt.

My question is how long did the CF method take for you to pull the 405? I am not arguing that a pure CF method can/will not get you thereeventually, just that PLing (SS or whatever) would be the shortest route. Granted your athletic ability would suffer with a strict PLing program.

I fully agree with your last statement and is what I should have said in the first place instead of typing a blanket statement that anyone can do it.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #46
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguasca View Post
but i refuse to gain 50lbs, because then i'd suck at climbing, and my career as a guide would be much harder. so if i ever DL 405, it's going to be at a weight within 10-15lbs of what i am now.
But if you increase strength along with an increase in mass won't it be a wash?...i.e. you weigh 150lb and pull 300. You increase to 200lb and pull 400. I think you will max out at well over 400lb at a bw of 200lbs (closer to 500lb max probably) You can be stronger at 200lb easier based on bw ratios than you will be at 150lb. So wouldn't you be a better climber at 200lbs if you were also stronger ratio wise? (assuming metcon increased as well)
Old 11-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #47
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

One of my goals is to increase my deadlift to 400lbs by the end of the year. I guess I'll just go for 405lbs then, since it's so easy .
Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #48
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Warner View Post
Yes, being short is an obvious advantage vs someone who is 6'5", but we have to play the hand we are dealt.
LOL! Yes, we get a whole bundle of advantages and disadvantages with our genetics. I can honestly say I *wish* I were 6' (not even 6'5"), but when deadlifting, and taking long airline flights, I'm glad to be 5'5".

Quote:
My question is how long did the CF method take for you to pull the 405?

Hmm. I've been doing CrossFit since sometime in 2001 or so (but never flawlessy consistent . . . more like 3 or 4 days / week, in a very random day-of-week pattern, for years). I probably had a 225 -250 DL when I started (I had been training in various other forms for years, but not powerlifting, so my DL was happenstance). So I guess you could say it took me 5 years. I'm reasonably sure that if I had made it a focus it would have come much sooner.

I'm not sure that being 50+ years old is that much of a disadvantage. Most of the guys in my gym who are serious DL'ers (450 - 550 (best I've witnessed)) are fairly big (200-250 pounds), "old" (minimum 40, some in late 50's) and have been doing it a long time. One guy in his late 70's with a BW around 180 could out-DL me until this year (when a hip replacement slowed him down a bit). So you have many fruitful years ahead of you.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #49
Derek Maffett

Profile:

When rock climbing, you could find yourself in a position where you have to move your bodyweight with say, one arm and with virtually no grip. Just as the 400 lb deadlift is easier for larger people, one arm chinning, climbing, and gymnastics are easier for shorter people. From Andy's post, you can see that heavier people enjoy greater absolute strength, but a lesser strength/bodyweight ratio.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #50
David Aguasca

Profile:

Quote:
But if you increase strength along with an increase in mass won't it be a wash?...i.e. you weigh 150lb and pull 300. You increase to 200lb and pull 400. I think you will max out at well over 400lb at a bw of 200lbs (closer to 500lb max probably) You can be stronger at 200lb easier based on bw ratios than you will be at 150lb. So wouldn't you be a better climber at 200lbs if you were also stronger ratio wise? (assuming metcon increased as well)
yes, if the ratio stayed the same or increased..but it doesn't really work that way. there is plenty of proof that strength:weight ratio decreases as weight increases. look at PL and OL records. secondly, in terms of sport climbing and bouldering, the most gymnastic kinds of climbing, any muscle that isn't climbing specific (read: anything from the waist down) is holding you back. so deadlifts would help, to a point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
When rock climbing, you could find yourself in a position where you have to move your bodyweight with say, one arm and with virtually no grip. Just as the 400 lb deadlift is easier for larger people, one arm chinning, climbing, and gymnastics are easier for shorter people. From Andy's post, you can see that heavier people enjoy greater absolute strength, but a lesser strength/bodyweight ratio.
and as far as most good climbers being short, it's true...there's actually a study that supports the idea:

http://www.nicros.com/archive/resear...t_climbing.cfm (WFS, just the abstract)

unfortunately for that study, the top three best male climbers in the world are 5'11"-6'.