CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:18 PM   #11
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Wow! Thank you, sir!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #12
Eric Moffit

Profile:
thanks again, Eugene...i just read them and felt like i was actually there. phenomenal.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:53 AM   #13
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Fantastic contribution Eugene. Your writing style certainly made the read all that more enjoyable!

Yeah-more videos would be awesome!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:58 AM   #14
Brian Gibson

Profile:
Thank you very much, Eugene.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #15
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Apologies for the 20 pound error on Fran. I was obviously not paying close enough attention to the weights being used. Perhaps I was thinking of the weight I would likely tolerate for such a lung bursting adventure.

I'm glad everybody liked the notes, in spite of my weight problem. Whenever I go to something that seems to be CF appropriate, I will be sure to take, and then distribute my notes. I have some range stuff from SWAT training exercises I have prepared that some of you in the tactical realm might be able to put to use. I'll post those one of these days too.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:44 AM   #16
dave ojeda

Profile:
Yah Eugene!!

How dare you make a mistake on the notes!!! It's not like you were busy or tired, oh yeh you were kick'n butt on Fat Helen and posting a great time.

Everyone should know that Eugene was in there taking no prisoners on the workouts and still had enough mental sharpness to put together those great notes!!

Thanks for all of us!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:55 AM   #17
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Cheers Eugene!

If everyone gave back to the community in such quantity and quality I'd never have time to do anything else!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:02 AM   #18
Eric L Thomas

Profile:
It's too bad that I live so far away that I can't attend a seminar. So thanks for taking notes, Eugene. It's appreciated!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:09 AM   #19
dave ojeda

Profile:
Eric,

You are never too far, we had people from Chicago (Me), Toronto, Florida and New York.

I am sure it is not only the distance, but it is worth making it a goal to get there to experience the community as well as the learning opportunity that they make available to you.

In the mean time read through this website (use the search engine to focus in on a subject), review the FAQ's and get the CF Journal for sure. A source of valuable information worth 10x the price.

Good Luck!
Dave Ojeda
Chicago, Il
Old 04-21-2005, 10:10 AM   #20
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Excellent Eugene! All very valuable insight!
I was looking at the photo of you and Hackleman though, and I noticed his hands being wide open. Then I read what he said about keeping your hands open and using other than straight punches to your opponent for fear of injuring your hands on his head. I don't disagree with him, but there is something I'd like to point out.
Having been on the bottom a couple times in regular street fights, the first thing that I zeroed on in the photo was that thumb sticking out from John's hand.
I would guess that thumb breaking/manipulation is probably considered cheating or dirty in UFC, but there are no rules or refs or any sort of fight etiquette at all in a street fight, right?
I have escaped a guy's mount before by grabbing that thumb, gripping it a certain way, twisting it back, while pulling it over my head. I guarantee he will follow it. Simultaneously, reaching between his legs and lifting while he follows his thumb, you can escape, stand up and follow through with more thumb breaking, face kicking, running, whatever.
You can experiment with what I mean by imagining yourself in Eugene's position. Pretend you're grabbing John's left thumb with your right hand. Use your own left thumb to see what I mean. Squeeze tight, making sure you keep the back of your hand towards his palm. Feel that pain in the knuckle closest to your palm? Excruciating and not hard to break it at all if you're quick about it.
For that reason, I myself prefer to keep my fists closed as tightly as possible throughout the whole deal if possible. Don't want my thumbs broke.
Call it cheating, dirty fighting, whatever. As ugly as it is, I want my face to stay the way it is, and I will do anything I can to achieve that end. (street fight only of course)

Having said that, no, I would not be interested in fighting the likes of John Hackleman. For him, my prefered method of fighting would be running like a jack rabbit and squirting like a squid. :proud: