CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:33 AM   #21
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Joseph,
I put on Gunny on 1 October of last year. Must be proof that if you stick it out long enough.........

Just kidding, I've only been in 12 years.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:05 AM   #22
Steve Nugent

Profile:
Just an idea, but look at giving the USMC reserve program a whirl while you're in college, it will help with the $$ (a little) and give you a good background for OCS/PLC.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:33 AM   #23
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Steve,
Your brother Ted was in the local paper here telling everyone at an NRA meeting to shoot rapists, child molesters, burglars, etc. He was waving 2 assault rifles. Definately worth a laugh.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:41 PM   #24
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
So I spoke with my brother...

His first piece of advice was to make sure that you seek waivers and appeal as high as you can possbily go...all the way to Bethesda if necessary. In his words..."definitely do not accept the decision of a local board". I'm not sure how high you appealed this thing, but it's something to think about.

Other than that his thoughts were:
Attend college and while there go ROTC/NROTC

OR

Just get your degree and apply to OCS (the route my brother took) without having done ROTC

OR

Enlist

I'm not sure how much that helps you...but there it is. Rest assured this kind of stuff doesn't end once you're in. Seth (my brother) told me that one of his friends, a fellow pilot, is now on grounded status for a medical problem he disclosed WHEN HE ENTERED...despite the fact that he has been flying for the Marines with said problem for the last 6 years. The flight surgeons just up and decided they weren't comfortable with it anymore.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:10 AM   #25
John S. Powell

Profile:
Thanks, Matt G. At this point I'm doing my best to cover all the bases you just mentioned. We'll see what I end up doing. I don't think enlisting before college is in the plans, though, at least if I want to actually finish college any time soon. All my Marine friends have already been called up from college for one tour; next year they start another, so at best it will have taken 6 years to finish college. I just figure I should get college out of the way first so I can focus on a career after.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:01 AM   #26
George Shelton

Profile:
How your medical documents are worded is a key issue here.
1. Is your vision problem visual acuity, color perception or something else?
2. Were your migraines diagnosed(or documents reviewed)by a neurologist? In acordance with NAVMED P-117 chapter 15, article 15-53, paragraph 1.a.2 migraines are disqualifying if they are incapacitating or involve changes in conciousness. Your documents need to show that.
You can e-mail me if you want more info.

Andy Shelton
HMCS(SS/FMF)

sheltonga@psns.navy.mil
Old 04-20-2005, 02:36 PM   #27
John S. Powell

Profile:
Mr. Shelton-

My documents are worded thus:

"Myopia: Visual acuity less than -6.00 diopters

Severe or frequent headaches within the past 3 years"

The thing is that the headaches are just on the far end of that 3 years, and the visual acuity is about a quarter diopter off the limit. The migraines were reviewed by two neurologists, both of whom decided they would not come back again. I sent in letters stating the same.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #28
George Shelton

Profile:
I would keep trying in that case. If the headaches were not incapacitating, I'd try to get another neurologist to say so. Were they actually diagnosed as migraines or were they just called headaches?
The Visual Acuity thing can be fixed with LASSIK or PRK neither of these require more than a simple wavier. We get them all the time for pilots, divers, SEALs and submariners.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:13 PM   #29
John S. Powell

Profile:
Understood, Mr. Shelton.

I just got off the phone with the USNA Senior Medical Officer, who said I'm not dead yet. The main thing they are worried about (according to him) are my eyes. NROTC is less stringent on visual acuity, but I'll be pressing both pathways hard and often.
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-21-2005, 06:17 PM   #30
Joseph Hart

Profile:
John,
I would go for NROTC. It is considerably more social. I think you might have a better time. The Naval Academy is good but I am glad that I went to USC
Good luck

Joe