CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-16-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
John S. Powell

Profile:
So today I opened a letter from the Dept. of Defense saying I had been medically disqualified for both the Naval Academy and NROTC Scholarship. I've been fighting this ruling for almost the entire year, going through waiver processes and getting endless additional tests. This seems like it's truly a final ruling this time, seeing as the Naval Academy has already made its admissions decisions. I'm pretty much hung out to dry here. I've been training for this for my whole life, and the idea of failure like this never really entered my mind as a distinct possibility. This ruling means that I can not receive the NROTC Scholarship I won this year, nor can I attend the USNA. Add to this the fact that FAFSA (gov't financial aid) somehow estimated my family's available college money at 47,000 a year (which is just laughable; my parents are a high school teacher and a librarian), and my situation just gets stickier.

The point here, which may have been lost in my ranting, was to solicit any ideas or help from the various military officers/NCOs I know are on this site. For the record, my medical disquals come from eyesight and migraines until I was 15 (at which point they went away, never to return). I feel really low right now, and any ideas would be most appreciated. This is the one thing I've wanted to do with my life; without it I really don't know what to do. Throughout the long process I always believed that my hard work would pay off; in this case it did not. I suppose I had the option to lie about the migraines in the beginning, but did not wish to sacrifice my integrity. This time hard work and honesty did not pay off, and I find that even more distressing than the mere fact that I was DQ'd. Sorry for going on and on about this; I needed a place to vent. An hour on the heavy bag did little to release my frustration, but I guess it was better than punching through my wall.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Jason Erickson

Profile:  
Are you DQ'd from enlisting? Many obtain a comission from the enlisted side.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Richard Belloff

Profile:

Can LASIK surgery resolve the eye sight issue for you?
Old 04-16-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
John, my brother is active duty Navy...he's due home tomorrow from leave. I'll be talking to him in the next couple of days, when I do I'll ask him what he thinks your options might be.

By no means is he "senior" in any way...but he'll have a better idea than I will of the possiblities.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Joseph Hart

Profile:
John,
I went and enlisted into the Marines and then got an ROTC scholarship. The strange twist is that I beacme a Naval Officer. I got out of the Navy in 98. I am shocked that that they gave you the boot. The Navy was hurting for "O"s to stay in at that time. I am not real savvy about what would need to be done about the medical issue. The good thing about enlisting is that I was my own dependent when I did go to school. FAFSA couldn't use my parents for money for aid. Good thing too because USC (Trojans) was expensive even with the ROTC scholarship. You might be able to join ROTC with out a scholarship. Sometimes they will give out two year deals to students. I would be glad to answer other questiion for you (ie. enlisting, NROTC, whatever) Just email me.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #6
John S. Powell

Profile:
Thanks for all the replies.

Looking at my options, I think if I wait a few years the history of migraines will be less of an obstacle. There will be more distance between me and them. The eyes are only a problem for going officer; they are within the enlisted standards. For Lasik, I believe I will have to wait at least until my eyes stop changing/growing, or until I am 21. I'm still looking into that.

The bottom line is that I WILL be able to afford college, so I'm looking at enlisting after that or just training with NROTC anyways, and seeing what happens with the medical stuff. I'm hopeful and optimistic that this will not end my lifelong dream, but the possibility still exists, and scares the crap out of me. I've worked too hard for this just to take it sitting down; I might have some cards up my sleeve in the form of a few Marine Officers on my side. We'll see.

Matt G.- Thanks for the help, and thank your brother. I'd be interested to hear his take on my options.

Joseph Hart- Thanks for the help, sir. I'll be sure to email you when I make some headway and decide on something.

Again, thanks to all of you for your responses. I hope I can work this out. All I know for sure is that I'm going to rock the heck out of the WOD tomorrow.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #7
Derek Lane

Profile:
John,
I'll play devil's advocate and throw another option out there. This is the same advice I've given to friends and family in the past: don't forget that there are other ways to serve your country. I know it's tough, but if you can take that fire in your belly and apply it to another worthwile life, you might find it just as, if not more, rewarding. Specifically, look at what coach is doing for the military, law enforcement and emergency services personel around the world. His potential impact is more than a hundred academy grads or ROTC cadets. You also mentioned that one of your parents is a teacher. Probably 3/4 of my family teaches or instructs in some way or another. My Grandfather has been gone now for almost ten years, but when I go home, there are men and women who still tell me stories about the effect he had on them 30 or 40 years ago as a teacher or a coach. I'm with you on that urge to travel, that was a big reason for me to join the Corps, but don't forget you can have a vital and lasting effect across generations, and do it all within 50 miles of the place you were born.

Just my two cents.

Derek
(Marine Mustang, 9 yrs total in the Corps. One Iraq tour under the belt, another one coming around the bend.)
Old 04-17-2005, 04:28 AM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Coming from the USAF (20 years active and reserve commissioned service), there are a couple of other services out there...I belive the physical qualification requirements are different as well.

Have you considered USAF Academy or USMA?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:27 AM   #9
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
I believe schools like Norwich offer 3 year ROTC sholarships which are a little easier to get. Go for your first year, join ROTC, and show them that you're there to stay and you'll get it. Just another option I guess. I'm sure other schools are like this, but I only know about Norwich.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
dan santini

Profile:  
i had one cousin in the naval academy but his brother went into the merchant marine academy (traveled alot while doing so and then went active duty naval officer upon graduating). i do not know if admission is closed for the merchant marine academy now but it is a thought.
-i was an infantryman in the 101st airborne and we had air force academy grads flying helicopters after doing service transfers.
-i was offered an rotc scholarship while active duty upon the condition that i serve w/the 101st
upon being a 2nd lieutenant.
-also had an enlisted friend get accepted into the usma after he enlisted.
*point is you have many possible avenues to explore so this is just one set back/re-group
and go after another avenue john
good luck

dan santini