CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:57 AM   #11
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
this is the kind of thinking that needs to be quashed wherever it crops up.

That depends on your role in the whole process K. If you're a trainer or a client...I agree 100%.

But if you're in the marketing arm of the club, or sales...making it seem like actual work (despite the fun factor, which usually isn't evident when you see a bunch of red-faced people sweating profusely) is precisely what you don't want to do. It scares off the easy $$$.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:07 AM   #12
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Matt,
A freind of mine that owns a gym told me once that 75% of the gyms income comes from people he sees in there once a month. Scary.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:36 AM   #13
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Having worked in gyms for a significant period of time, I assure you he's absolutely correct. The percentage is even more skewed when you look at the number of people who commit to a 1-year (or more) membership on January 1, come for a month...and then basically never come back. Lot's of gyms will make or break their entire year on what happens from the last week of December through the end of January.

"Globo-Gym" (yes, shameless rip-off) is to true fitness as McDonald's is to fine dining.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #14
Ron Nelson

Profile:
My gym is still overcrowded with the "resolutioners." I do notice that the faces tend to change and there is, maybe, 5 or 10 people I see there regularly. They're the ones staring at me as I do the WOD.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:00 AM   #15
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Nah Ron, we've moved from "resolutioners" to "Oh God, swimsuit season is coming". Give them until Memorial Day, and they'll be out of there.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #16
John Walsh

Profile:
Ahahahahahaha!!! I love kooky gym stories and had no problem picturing that scenario. Years back I use to travel a bit for work so I always had to find a guest pass gym. I was powerliting then so if I had to dead I always OKed it with the management first. Here’s one such scenario at the Fern and Chrome Palace.

Me: Hi, I’d like to buy a guest pass for the day but I want to make sure it’s OK for me to deadlift with some heavy weight.

Gym Bunny Receptionist: (After a long pause) A dead what?

Me: A deadlift. Could I talk to the owner or manager?

Billy Biceps The Manager: Can I help you?

Me: Yes, I just want to make sure it’s OK for me to do some heavy deadlifting here.

Billy Biceps The Manager: Yeah sure that’s OK, I guess. (Clearly he had no idea what I was talking about)

Me: Can I use chalk?

Billy Biceps The Manager: For what?

Me: My grip.

Billy Biceps The Manager: Yeah, OK.

10 minutes later after my first set with about 415.

Billy Biceps The Manager: (Clearly upset) What the hell are you doing?

Me: Deadlifting.

Billy Biceps The Manager: You can’t do those here! And you’re getting that white dust all over the place!

Old 04-22-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
John, that is classic. My laugh for Friday afternoon.

The concept of "you're not allowed to do X exercise here" is so alien to me that I have trouble even conceptualizing it. Someone posted in Comments the other day that their gym prohibits doing Cleans.

I view such things as being kind of like saying "you're not allowed to breathe here". How can you possibly not allow such fundamental exercises?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:41 AM   #18
Ron Nelson

Profile:
John,
LOL!!
I had a similar experience. A guy next to me was DL'ing about 415# for about 8 reps and dropped it from mid-shin on the last rep. Being on the second floor (great idea, let's put the weights upstairs and the cardio downstairs because we don't want everyone getting tired on the way to the stair-climber), it thundered through the entire gym. 30 seconds later, one of the desk jockeys comes up warns him not to drop the weights or he'll have to leave!
Bally's used to have a sign: "Don't drop the weights; if you can't handle it, don't lift it!" I think it mainly applied to the guys doing their reverse-Batman-skullcrushers more than anything.

Matt,
God I hope so. The other night I was barging through Linda and I saw 2 guys sitting on the O-bar in the open squat rack the entire time! I need access to the racks, and I need it now!! Besides, most of those people will still look horrendous in a swimsuit anyway!
Old 04-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #19
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Got kicked out of the NY Marriott gym for using the Universal bench press to deadlift by standing on the bench part. They had no free weights besides the 2.5 - 45# chrome dumbbell set. Finished the workout in my room...
Old 04-22-2005, 11:50 AM   #20
Mike Minium

Profile:
Great stories, guys! You're killin' me over here!

I think we've all had similar experiences, unfortunately. But it sure makes for great laughs afterwards.

Mike