CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-26-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Gottfried, same meet. Ouch. He was a favorite in the 105kg class for the Sydney Olympics, too. Oh well.

A lot of top lifters under a lot of pressure to lift big, big, big weights.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #12
Cathy Chiba

Profile:  
not saying that anyone is juiced.....but amazingly in vancouver at that world championships.....there were very many.....very many....very many....i was there...elbow dislocates!!!! why???? hmmmmmm!!!! you do the dance....you pay the fidler!!!!

so...can steroid use predispose you to these sorts of injuries (at least when such massive loads are attempted)? if so, does it have something to do with your tendons and ligaments not keeping up with the gains in muscle mass and strength?

or is the "dance" just the dance of competition, and pushing at the boundaries of one's abilities?

anyway, yikes.

[i was there too -- tho just to check it out for a day -- but [whew!] missed these. eeps.]
Old 04-26-2005, 05:03 PM   #13
Cathy Chiba

Profile:  
or...as it sounds like from Lincoln's comments...

are elbow dislocates just bound to happen when you're capable of lifting that much? (i.e., at those weights, are you pretty much pushing the limits of shear resistance or whatever it is you measure for tear/failure resistance of tendons, ligaments, and muscle -- so that the the margin for error is extremely low?)
Old 04-26-2005, 05:28 PM   #14
Mike Burgener

Profile:
great ???? cathy.....on a personal note i feel that steroid use can predispose the athlete to these sorts of injuries because of the tendon and ligament strength not keeping up.......i have found thru over seas travel while coaching and personal observations that when the testing by the iwf gets much stricter the athletes go off the juice only to find that in a meet they will still attempt record weights while the ligaments and tendons become weaker and not as stong as when they were juiced. i want to make it clear that this is only personal observation.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:39 PM   #15
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
+1 to Mike's opinion of tendon/ligament (hell, joint structure in total) not keeping up with the development of the muscle. I have an aquaintance who's "on the juice"...I've been on him for a long time to get off.

He recently blew up his shoulder, and he was forthcoming with his orthopod about his drug use. Doc told him the same thing...the muscle's strength outstripped the joint's ability to handle the loads he was working at.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:55 PM   #16
William Hunter

Profile:
I saw a guy in grad school a day or two after he torn his biceps tendon off the top of his forearm. It looked like someone had splattered his entire arm with black and blue paint. Guy was a juicer.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #17
Cathy Chiba

Profile:  
hmmm! thanks for the observations, mike, matt, william -- i'm intrigued.

One of my roomies (who's a physio) was recently cautioning my other roomie (who wants to start weight training again) about going too heavy too fast. he said something about an increased likelihood of doing joint/tendon/ligament damage a few weeks into a program because your muscles can get stronger before your joints do. (of course I could have heard him wrong). So I guess it can happen to anyone...but perhaps more catastrophically if you're juicing...

anyway, interesting to think about. and all that from some scary photos!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:26 PM   #18
James R. Climer

Profile:
Those pictures are X-rated on some level. I could have gone my whole life without seeing those.

I was once told that even in the completely natural newbie the muscle tissue will begin to adapt to overload stimulus in as little as 6 weeks, but bone and tissue can take up to 4 months to begin to respond. True? Or Fitness instructor tales?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:34 PM   #19
James R. Climer

Profile:
That's bone and 'connective' tissue take 4 months.

So much for the preview pane. remember to use the S.T.A.R. method of self checking:
Stop (****,)
Think (that)
Act (ain't)
Review (right)
Old 04-28-2005, 04:11 AM   #20
Brian Hand

Profile:

Two things contribute to steroid user's joint problems. As mentioned, the drugs will cause the muscles to grow faster than the connective tissues adapt. The connective tissues don't have the blood supply the muscles do to fuel growth. Incidentally, this can happen to drug free athletes too, at times, but to a lesser degree.

Also, most steroids will cause the connective tissue to become more pliable, but the effect is temporary. When coming off, the connective tissue quickly reverts to normal, and lifts that used to be no problem will damage the connective tissue. Someone trying to beat a drug test is going to have this issue.