CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #21
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
I can sympathize with the comments from the women writers above.

My girlfriend trains for the most part in a gym. Because of the culture where we live and because physically she has a lovely body, she cannot wear shorts to workout and has to wear t-shirts that cover her upper body well; the men in the gym leer at her even still. She is also the only woman moving iron there.

Because it takes me up to 2 hours to travel to work, I only go with her every once in awhile to the gym to help her with her lifting techniques. It surprises me the vibe that I get from the other men there. They are like hyenas circling for the kill. Guys with a thimble amount of training knowledge hit on her to tell her how it "ought to be done" or why she ought not to do squats, or barbell lunges or pullups or that she's going to get "too big". The "trainers" are telling her that she should use this machine or that machine and having no clue as to what the expression "functional strength" means.

When she and I train together especially in the beginning when she was learning the lifts, I would perform the lift for her and have her touch the contracted muscles so that she would understand which muscles were working. On occasion I would do the same to her.

IMO, if you are truly training/ coaching someone there is no time to ogle, you might admire the beauty of muscles and bones working in sychronicity and of sweat in getting a lift correctly done.

Although my training partner and I have a relationship outside of the gym, my actitud when we train together is giving to her the best training advice and spots so that she can obtain the maximum benefit of training and achieve her fitness goals.