CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Well, I might be slightly less sensitive than some of the ladies out there, but I think it's *way* more uncomfortable to be treated differently for being female. I'm not weird about it unless the coach is. That's when it gets weird.

If a male coach is touching all the guys to spot or make a point (as good coaches will do) but then has to call a female coach over for me, that's just lame. And in that case the issue is clearly his (which is what makes it feel icky), not mine.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:37 AM   #12
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Carrie, I think you hit the nail on the head. It only becomes an issue if the coach allows it to.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:50 AM   #13
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Thanks for the advice everybody! :-)

To give you a little background for the question, I'm an ex-volunteer youth leader, and my youth pastor always hammered us to remember that working cross-gender could be done but had to be done carefully and only within certain limitations. I just didn't know if that translated to the gym or not...guess not...thanks again! I appreciate the advice.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
The cross-gender stuff is a way bigger issue in churches than out...if you feel clean about it, 99% of the women will too. The remaining 1% have their own issues.
If you don't feel clean about it, maybe you'd better deal with that before starting coaching.
--Speaking as a woman who picks up immediately on whether a guy is a creep or not
Old 09-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #15
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
It is also good to tell/show a woman what you are going to do first. One example might be to put your hands on your own pelvis before grabbing a client's.

Be verbal about what you are going to do so that there is no suprises (especially when out of their field of view).
Old 09-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #16
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Yeah, I agree with what everyone has said, especially what Jeremy wrote about making sure to tell someone before you touch them, and also making sure there are people around and/or doors open or video cameras barring that. But one of the first things I pick up on or look for when getting into a new training situation (this is mostly martial arts though but I think still applicable) is if the instructor is paying attention to the students and their safety. I also check for whether there's people around, if there is a clear exit, if the instructor is certified (I'll call the place they say they are certified with to check if I have any doubt), and if I feel fairly comfortable around the instructor so I could mention something to them if it came up (if we do things with partners or in small groups during class). There's some other precautions I'd look for if there were children in the class, but it sounds like you're going to be working with adults.

This is probably way more than most people look into. I've had some really awful training experiences so I'm a bit on the paranoid side.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:49 PM   #17
Allison Barns

Profile:
I totally agree with Carrie K. Through my profession (fisheries biology) I have been in many situtions where I was the only female (as in out on a boat or in a remote location) and it only really gets weird if the guy(s) get weird.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #18
Adam C Lautenschlager

Profile:
If a female thinks you're being inappropriate for closely observing her hips and legs, how can you teach them the squat?

We still teach the squat first in Crossfit, don't we?

End of subject.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:38 AM   #19
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Not quite sure where you're coming from Adam.

I think if you look at the posts above, what people are saying is that if you behave professionally and treat people with respect and equality, you'll be ok. There's a big difference between watching someone's technique and leering at them. If it turns into "hey, turn around and pick that up for me, would you?", the instructor has some issues.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #20
Adam C Lautenschlager

Profile:
I agree with everyone elses' comments. I suppose the biggest challenge would be new clients who were never really nitpicked on form by their previous trainers.

Didn't mean to come off the wrong way, sorry.