CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Anytime Frank.

Did you see the class business model I posted on base camp?
Old 09-21-2006, 03:10 AM   #12
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Not yet, Doug, I'll have to check that out.
Keep up the great work!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:36 AM   #13
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Could you please post link to that model Doug?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:30 AM   #14
Reed Rediger

Profile:
I would like to have that link also. Good info guys.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Also...think about other business models out there. There are lots of so called trainers running around my town doing "bootcamps" in the parks. (They are certified by some bootcamp school..not here to name names...). Anyways, most bootcamps are 1 trainer...putting in as many people as he can like 20..30..40...they have to bring their own 3lb dumbbells (for women), their own mat...and he runs them around in circles for an hour 5x a week. They are charging $299 a person for 4 weeks. $299 to run around and bring your own stuff...and no overhead. It's rediculous that this should even be possible...but people are making money off it. But....you also have to look at the long term client ratio....are they keeping them same people month after month? Are they having a high turnover? Are they filling up the class every month? All that stuff..

When it comes down to it...any Crossfit program absolutely blows away any bootcamp program. Price..$299 for bootcamps...$149 for Crossfit. Camps bring your own little pink dumbbells...crossfit you have all the latest equipment for them to use. Now that's not to say you can't do both...a bootcamp..and crossfit...all depends on the market you are going after. But Crossfit programs obviously should have a higher retention rate over the park bootcamps. Who knows...but next time someone says $149 is too expensive...say oh yeah...well let's compare it to....

Old 09-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #16
Douglas Chapman

Profile:

Here you go guys.

Mike: You seem to have some valid points and some strong opinions. I have never seen any affiliate charging more for boot camps than crossfit classes. It would be bad business. I treat my boot camp class like a scaled down and simplified version of the normal WOD. If you strip away the labeling and think of them as level I, II and III classes with III being the full dose. The ability to segmentize and bring people up to being able to do full intensity and scale crossfit is as much and art as a science. The issue of rhabdo leads me find the appropriate place in the pipeline to put them when they start out. It also allows people access to training at a low cost relative to the normal $65-75 per hour for training sessions to get them ready for the full dose.

Retention rate is has a lot of variables to it. Training quality is one. Customer service is another. The vast majority of people leave training due to being unvalued by their trainer or facility. No crossfit facility should have that problem since we train, we don't offer membership for DIY consumers.

As for the 3L's: Our new place doesn't even have a sign. I don't think I am going to get one either. The people who come to the gym because it is on the corner are not the people I want as customers. I want the people who have used trainers, other classes and are generally more exerienced fitness consumers to come to my facility. These people will know at the outset their is a difference in quality of training.

That is why if I was a beginning crossfitter, I would get a job as some globo gym and train next to the guys with the polo shirts and end up with more training business. Then when the gym management became unpleasent trying to get me to sell suppliments and to the company line, I would start my own faciliy in my garage and like majic you have a business you don't need to advertise that has high margins.

By the way, here is the wod for last night's boot camp:

Ball Slams #20
KB Swings 16kg
Lunge 90'

100, 75, 50, 25 for time.

Most people got done in 21-26 minutes. Scaled load based on ability. I have to say, I was inspired by Latch's Jacket of pain and restructured his content.

Not all boot camps are the same: :smiley_evilGrin:

(Message edited by Dougchapman on September 21, 2006)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Training Model Business Model.pdf (22.6 KB, 273 views)
Old 09-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #17
Damian Hirtz

Profile:
Doug,

The provided training model is great!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Doug,

Sorry didn't mean to imply "bootcamp" was a dirty word. I myself do bootcamps and would trust anyone who knows about crossfit to run a good bootcamp. I was just upset at the explosion of women's only bootcamps locally by a certain company based out of CA that is training people to go run them and charge $299 (waayyyy too high I think for the quality they get back) a month for 30 people and no weights. Just being in the industry I would hate to see good camps be brought down by others just popping up all over the place just to make a quick buck. As I mentioned above, a Crossfit class at $150 is 10000x better than those $299 classes not run by a qualified crossfit trainer. I know in the long run, the better camps will be standing...the rest will fall. Having a slow month...hence the grumpyness. Ha, feel better now.

By the way, love the new facility...that is pretty awesome job you have done up there. Have to admit, would love a place like that to do basic bootcamps and crossfit workouts in the future. (long term goal of course) Truely the gym of the future!! Congrats and good luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #19
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Also, fantastic model Doug has provided...I think (if not already done) all affiliates should look at it. Like I said above, I really do believe that is the business model of the future.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #20
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Thanks.

No problem. I too feel the same way about the name "Boot Camp". It is pretty funny when people who have done other "Camps" come to try ours. All of my classes are crossfit of various scale and intensity. A lot of people call their training intense or elite.

Actually, I am thinking about having a women only crossfit class. I spoke with with Lisa Lugo of CFSD about her women only class. I am thinking about adding it in October as a test run.

Don't forget the implied limitations of the model. It REQUIRES a lot of space. Anyone in the midwest has to deal with winter and the abiltiy to run classes side by side. The equipment constraint is larger and requires a lot more investment than a 2k sqft CF gym. The down side it the higher break even point and thus requirement for more clients. It does give a lot of flexibility in classes and format. (Rowing, MMA and O-Lifting)

BC Workout tonight:
Run 1 Mile
Ring Pushups 21
Thrusters 21
Flutterkicks 21
Run 2/3 Mile
Run 1/3 Mile

For time. Winner was about 24 minutes last person 32 minutes. :evilsmile: