CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Has anyone ever developed like a "press kit" or brochures for Crossfit to market locally for each affiliate? I imagine that would be advantageous for each location, essentially working together to promote (and would help those just starting up to get more interest up front without spending alot of time making their own ads). Essentially new affiliates would also be able to use testimonials from other Crossfit locations since they are promoting the same workout? Just a thought.

Not an affiliate personally but hope to make that a goal in the next year or so if I am lucky.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Mike,

I'm very concerned that CrossFit could become franchised and just another profit-making entity where money is the goal and the product is secondary. I've spoken to Coach Glassman about this, and he assures me he will never sell CrossFit to an "investor," that he has had several opportunities to do so, but plans to maintain it as it is, in perpetuity.

Modern marketing would suggest a CrossFit book, DVD's, gym franchises, etc (see the link I listed in comments two rest days back where a guy out in New Jersey is starting "Cut's" as a male answer to "curves".) Once profit is involved the entire dynamic that makes CrossFit so fantastic will be lost.

My concern with a "press kit" is that it suggests a uniformity to CrossFit, i.e. McDonaldization. You even used the term "market" in your thread. I think sharing ideas between groups and individuals is great, I wouldn't encourage an "official" CrossFit "way" however.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:26 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
True. Was just wondering. I would not want to see it sell out and just be a cookie cutter as well. Only meant to see if affiliates help out each other when getting started...which I imagine they do with their shared knowledge and experience.

As for cuts I have 2 that opened by me...I believe there is a cuts for men and a cuts for women...cuts..curves..so are people just stealing eachother's ideas nowadays? Sad ..sad.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:
Mike,

I'm in the process of putting marketing materials together. So far I only have a flyer and a press release. You are more than welcome to them if you'd like.

Ken,
I understand and share your desire that CF should not devolve into a purely profit motivated enterprise, but I do think marketing and profit have to be considered by affiliates (and any business). Selling-out is an issue that have been around in the martial arts for years(McDojos). These are the places that crank out black belts as long as you pay your fees, with no consideration of your technique. As long as we stay committed to excellence in our clients' performance, nobody is selling out.

I can understand Mike's desire not to reinvent the wheel, so I think it would be helpful for CFers to share marketing materials and ideas, just like we do everything else.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
Dolph Geurds

Profile:
Mike,

I am starting an affiliate in Central New Jersey and have thought about who and how I would market CF. I also own/operate a landscape Design Build Company, so marketing has been something I am used to doing. I am in the process of generating some layouts for fliers and a business card. I am also trying to identify the target audience for CF; Police, Fireman, Military, sport groups, etc... and areas to post fliers to spark interest. Not to many people in my area have even heard of CF. As soon as I have some stuff put together I will let you know.

Ken
As far as profit goes, bills need to be paid and food needs to be put on the table. Running a CF facility, a web page, and having insurance cost money, that money has to come from somewhere. Coach Glassman controls CF. I am sure if he smells someone talking Franchise he will put an end to there involvment in CF.

If you find something you love to do and are passionate about it and you can make a living at it you are already way ahead of everyone else.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Mike, I have just started an affiliate here in vegas. I have spoken with and emailed several other affiliates in regards to their marketing strategies. I have also been following several threads on base camp. All affiliates have been overwhelmingly supportive and helpful in offering advice. I simply find the info that best pertains to my situation and apply it. With so many people willing to help, I'm not sure a universal "plan" is necessary.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
James Falkner

Profile:
Don't worry.. CF won't be McFranchised until the WODs are changed so that 80% of the world's population could do them without actually breaking a sweat or upping their heart rate above "safe" levels..

So, until the WOD involves one of those "fat shaker" machines, CF will be safely ensconced in the velvety soft world of the "fringe exercise programs" and you won't see books, DVDs, etc except from the CF website :-)
Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 AM   #8
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
James, you are 100% on the mark!
CrossFit just "makes too much sense" for many people; they just don't get it.
I am a writer, as well as a CFer, and I couldn't possibly do justice to the CrossFit concept in a book.
I am in the process, however, of writing a book on what I've personally learned over the years from martial arts, military, emergency situations, and unfortunately, some dangerous street attacks I was blessed enough to survive.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:36 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I just fear Oprah with her "celebrity" trainer will be on her show doing rounds for time of tricep extensions, toe raises, couch sitting and twinkie eating...
Old 09-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
We are 3 guys in the Netherlands starting up our own crossfit affiliate. Mike in Amsterdam, Charles just below Utrecht and me in Rotterdam. We help each other if and when we can, exangeing ideas and translations, but we mostly do it on our own. As soon as one of us is running, we will let you all know.