CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #11
Amber Burke

Profile:
My sentiments exactly!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
If you can get people in the facility paying money to train, then it is obviously a good thing. The issue at Velocity becomes what you call the workout, how you market it, and the business structure; i.e., what coaches run the workouts, fees, how coaches get paid, etc. Those are the tricky issues with Velocity.

In the Velocity Fitness (adult program) you basically have an active dynamic warm-up section, energy system development section, and strength and power section. It is up to the coach to determine what level of each module is appropriate. It is also up to the coach if you decide to spend more time on energy system development and cut out strength and power or vice versa. In other words, you can make a Velocity Fitness class very similar to a CrossFit group workout. The main differences lie in how you explain it, how you market it, etc.

It may be easier for you to simply call it Velocity Fitness, understand the CrossFit philosophy, apply the CF philosophy in a system that is in place, and use word of mouth as the main marketing. It may prove more difficult to start a CrossFit affiliate within a Velocity. This is due to the franchise agreement among other things.

My 2 cents. For what it is worth I was the Sports Performance Director at the Velocity in San Carlos, CA for about 14 months. For a variety of reasons I am no longer there, but am managing a private training facility, have started a CrossFit affiliate, and am much happier.

Cheers!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:18 AM   #13
Amber Burke

Profile:
I have gone through that in my head as well. I just don't like to think about making CrossFit anything other than what it is. I like the philosophy and the people who take it seriously. I think that calling it Velocity Fitness would be watering down and taking it to a level that mear mortals can achieve!
In a perfect world I would only market to those who want and need to train with a higher degree of intensity (mentally and physically) but this is the real world and therefore real world challenges arise.
Also, rather than the VSP coaching staff taking these Xfit classes- I would like XFit certified junkies :-) to come in (sub-contractor) and teach the classes on down time. I don't know...there are so many variables!
Old 10-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #14
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
Amber, I think you'll find that very difficult to do within the Velocity Franchise. The easiest thing to do would be to called it something like Advanced Velocity Fitness and then coach it as CrossFit - not a watered down version, but actual CrossFit. Depending on your franchisee, it may be difficult to get the independent contractor model up and running within your location. Does your SPD buy into the concept and does he have any ideas?
Old 10-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #15
Amber Burke

Profile:
I haven't talked to him about it I just told my owner a little, tiny bit about crossfit and he said let's talk more. I wanted to get as much info as I could before I talked to him more about it.
But, you are right. I think that it would be very hard to get the model I am thinking of going.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #16
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Amber-

Since Loren Seagraves is one of the principles behind Velocity, and has very distinct ideas on training, how can the gym allow a conflicting training philosophy to be practiced and still maintain the Velocity franchise requirements?
Old 10-07-2006, 04:31 AM   #17
Amber Burke

Profile:
I don't want to change anything about Velocity or it's philosophy, and based on the Adult Fitness classes that we are running here, CrossFit is not a conflicting training philosophy. It is actually very similar- mixing high/low intensity training with Olympic lifting, speed, power and agility techniques. I wanted to offer CrossFit as that next step in training for those with the desire and necessity (due to job, etc.)We have the space, and as Kenneth says above- each hour the facility is empty is an hour that no money is being made.
I am really just getting ideas and trying to think "outside the box" :-)
Old 10-07-2006, 05:04 AM   #18
Karl Geissler

Profile:
I guess maybe that is why I am asking the question. I have had a number of associates (who are accomplished coaches) work for Velocity all over the country, but in the end had to leave because of the inflexibility of the overall philosophy.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:45 AM   #19
Amber Burke

Profile:
That is really unfortunate. It's hard because the VSP concept is so good, and the coaches have so much experience working with different techniques, etc. that not being able to apply something you think would have a positive impact on an athlete's performance is frustrating. But, as with any business, I guess you have to stay within the realm of their philosophy.
I think that this is a little different though because it is adult fitness and not the sports performance side of the VSP concept.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:53 AM   #20
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
A franchise is probably unlikely to say "Hey...our program is good, but also might use some adjustment with some new things..."

Too hard on the ego :pokey000:

Fanchises will not try to evolve for the most part...just keep a program and make $ off it. Smart business owners will evolve to provide the best training possible.