CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
John Seiler

Profile:
Jared,

Will you please share your idea? There are many here who have circumstance similar to Mike's who could benefit. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:40 AM   #12
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Mike, I've been able to run my CF affiliate from two different places that are physical therapy/fitness centers.
It sounds crazy, but it's working.
They are much more aware of how the body really works and what it needs in the way of training.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:55 AM   #13
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Jared's idea was for an indoor sport facility location like a roller hockey rink or indoor soccer facility.

Thanks for all the great suggestions...I'm looking into every and all possibilities. The trick is getting the "low overhead" thing until the numbers get up there. Worse case there are parks and we can do "run from the park rangers" for time.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Doug,

I saw from some of your earlier Hyperfit videos that you did workouts in some sort of gymnasium that had built in pullup bars and looks like you brought in DBalls, rings, steps, etc. What kind of facility was it? A private or community center? How did you approach them and work out an agreement? Most people I am running into right now are hesistant at the idea....but I will keep trying and worst case have the great outdoors.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #15
Jared Buffie

Profile:
Yes, sorry John. Mike and I are friends here in Atlanta and the thought just popped into my head as I read this thread, and only posted because I din't want to forget to mention to him that we know the guy who runs a hockey rink here in town.

Now that I think about it, I bet any indoor soccer facility/roller hockey rink has downtime during the day that you could run bootcamps out of if you wanted to lug your equipment. Offer to rent it out at a reduced rate, or give them a % of your gross.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #16
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Mike,

We just relocated from a local athletic club to our own space in August.

If you do decide to rent space or work out of some globo gym, get everything in writing. There is the rule: If someone is willing to say it, they should be willing to put it in writing.

The upside of being in a globo gym is that you can stand right next to the typical clipboard trainer. There is no contest competition wise. It will not endear you to the other traines and it will end up causing you difficulties.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #17
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Actually just found an indoor soccer facility today not far from my old location, huge open area, has it's own weights inside...large outside area available too....now just have to see what they are wanting to do $ wise and if my hours and their hours are going to conflict. AM before 9 prob wont be an issue...PMs after 5 maybe...since those are my prime hours. I'll keep looking though...was thinking maybe some martial arts studios with space. I guess the globo gym cobras is not the team i want to be on for now...plus the others are approachable as a working relationship as we can help eachothers businesses out...who knows, will hope for the best and keep on looking. Wish I already had the established clientelle over by the rink....would be a perfect place.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:23 AM   #18
Jared Buffie

Profile:
Mike...

Start putting some time in over there. Set up a table during busy hours, stand out and talk to people with some literature. Hockey moms = $.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:42 AM   #19
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Maybe I can find a hot single rich hockey mom too....that might be good personally! ;)
Old 10-13-2006, 06:49 AM   #20
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Greedy, Mike...now you're just getting greedy...:evilsmile: