CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Reed Rediger

Profile:
Could someone tell me what actually takes place at a CF Cert. Seminar? Are you in a classroom all day taking tests? Practicing lifts? After you complete it can you create your own WODs? I guess before I invest the money to attend one I would like to know what goes on? Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Short answer: lots. Long answer, a whole lot. Do a search for Eugene Allen's notes from some of the cert seminars. He's a bit of what you might call obsessive with his notes, and covers the seminars in detail.

The true value depends on what you take with you. You're being coached by some world-class people in their particular area of expertise (which is nice). You're also being exposed to (probably) new exercises and modalities. Plus you get to interact and ask questions, see the folks in motion, etc., which you can't get from notes.

But say you come to the table with an extensive exercise background and already know about all the different topics covered (*very unlikely given the breadth of information covered--think everything from Parkour to punching). The value lies in the community aspect of spending time and interactive with a superb group of folks who are incredibly dedicated to what they do.

The cost may be hard for some people to justify, but the experience is well worth it in my opinion.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
No two seminars are 'exactly' the same. But you can find Eugene's notes on the FAQ link on the main page.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #4
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Reed, I have an article I wrote for our local newspaper about the CF Cert (May 2006)I went to.
It's posted on my website on the "Articles" page maybe it can be of some help.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
Reed Rediger

Profile:
Thanks guys! I think those notes are going to take all day to read. Frank I'm heading to your website right now.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #6
Bill Russell

Profile:
Nice article Frank. I missed it on previous visits to your site.

Here is the direct link in case people have trouble locating it

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8kp13/c...oast/id37.html

Please excuse me if this is considered hijacking the thread, but I think this may be a valid question here.....

I am considering taking part in a cert. seminar in the near future. I am an assistant instructor at our Hapkido school while working on my 2nd Dan requirements (overdue thank you very much!) but I am in no way qualified to be a personal trainer. My question is, is the seminar a good idea for people like me who want to learn more about CF for their own use but who do not necessarily want to start an affiliate?

(Message edited by Otis My Man on August 09, 2006)
Old 08-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
John Vernon

Profile:
don't be alarmed when the goat is brought out on Sunday, it's only a tradition....just don't be last when they run FGB or Frelen.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
Larry Cook

Profile:
Bill,

I am pretty much in the same situation as you. I'm not sure I'll ever train people, and I am certainly nowhere near "elite", but I was looking for more of the CrossFit experience, so to speak. The people who I train with at CF Connecticut encouraged me to check it out ... so I am signed for the Boston cert in October. Hanging out with fitness freaks for 2 days, learning new stuff, getting in a couple of smokin' workouts ... what could be the downside? (oh yeah, recovery). I am exicited and, after reading Frank's notes, a little fearfull. I'd be happy to give you my impressions after the seminar

BTW, I'm testing for 2nd Dan, TKD in September (thank you very much) ... Good luck to both of us!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Bill: a CF cert will likely be the best weekend you will have in many a year. No, you don't have to be planning to be a trainer to benefit (although you might change your mind after attending).

Larry's post just about sums it up . . . you learn, you spend time with some of the best people you'll ever meet, you work your body fairly hard (and the environment probably gets a PR out of you).

There is no downside (other than the disappointment of "real life"(TM) afterwards).
Old 08-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #10
Rafael Mattei

Profile:
Bill, Larry:

I like you im not a trainner, i do though, help my friends and some co-workers with either WOD ideas or new exercises to try, of course i steal all that from CF. I attended the Cert that Frank refered to, and until i got there i THOUGHT iwas in "good"shape, boy was i wrong...not only did i get humbled on Tabata squats by Annie (while pregnant) but on that day two WOD i think i came in dead last (Jonh, i wont spoil the fun about the goat!!). I can tell you that as i was coming in after that last run, still having to do 21 swings w a DB and 12 Pull ups, one of the other attendees ( i cant remember his name) shouted at me that i still had 2 minutes to go taht it was plenty of time and to go do it, I did and finished about 15 seconds from the cut off, no one, NO ONE had anything bad to say about it, all where encouraging in every aspect. whitht that i mean to tell you that if you get a chance to go, DO IT and you'll be better for it the experience, the friendship, and the WODs are nothing short of exceptional.