CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
Mike Riggs

Profile:  
I tore my left rotator cuff a few years back and had it surgically repaired. The side effect has been limited mobility of the shoulder joint. No problems except when doing the snatch and/or overhead squat. I can't get the correct posture with the shoulders. Any advice on how to overcome this?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Nikki Young

Profile:
I would sujest finding out what muscles are the weakest/strongest and how tight the muscles are. It could be that you need to gain flexibility throughout your shoulder to gain mobility. Also you didn't mention much about rehab on it, have you done rehab on it? what where your results after? If you had good movement after your recovery/rehab, you will most likely be able to gain it back. however if you didn't do any rehab it will take a lot longer.

Probably best to start off with finding out if your internal rotators are stronger than your external rotators. Which is a common muscle imblance for many people, also the scapular retractors tend to be weak as well which can lead to imbalances between the muscles that act around the scapula. If your shoulders roll fowards you most likely have more strength in your internal rotators, in which case you should work on your external rotators; rowing especially, and back work. I say this because if you haven't done much work on your shoulders/rotators after the operation, they may have become weaker.

As well as that you should pay close attention to stretching the rotator cuff, especially the internal rotators.

However, its hard to do an online diagnosis. I could be completely wrong here, but its just a though.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
Rick Burgess

Profile:
Although I did not have surgery, I was having shoulder problems a while ago and don't have the best ROM, so I can sympathize. My OHS is okay but the loads are nothing to write home about. If you did your physical therapy and have good, strong rotator cuff muscles, I would say work on flexibility and ROM using a broomstick or PVC pipe. Steer clear of anything heavy and work on form. Give it some time and see how you do. You might not ever get to the Dan John or Burgener clan level, but you have to work with what you have.