CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-05-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
Ted Williams

Profile:
Ok, got a little mulla set aside from birthday festivities. Seems that my wife and the rest of my family is tired of hearing how I need workout equipment (yes! it worked!)...so where to begin?

I got the home gym edition of the journal...and have read the threads on the board here, but am looking for help with what weight set to buy. I don't have the funds to buy the nice stuff mentioned in the journal. I am looking more for something on Craigslist, but am looking for help to make sure I get what I need.

Would it be better to just buy a bench and plates off Craigslist and get a new bar? I've found a couple "olympic weight sets" on Craigslist so far, and they all seem decent..but what makes one better than the other?

Thanks for the help, no more cement blocks tied to patio umbrella poles for me! :rofl::uhoh:
Old 05-05-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
Mike Ryan

Profile:
I bought an "olympic" set and a Parabody rack system. The rack system is great, but if I had it to do over I would have bought a set of bumpers and a better bar. Dropping steel weights on any surface is a scary situation.

Mike.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Yep, get bumpers.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
It is a no-exceptions, unwavering truth that you will eventually rue the day you bought cheap gear. The secret to properly outfitting your gym is to prioritize and to be patient. Hmm, I can do another p...plan, prioritize and be patient.

You are planning well by coming to this board and getting input and by looking at the journal issue that addressed the topic of outfitting a gym. Take your time only buy those things that you will use a lot and use for a long time.

Pullup bar and rings for sure and some Dynamax medicine balls. I used metal plumbing pipe for all my chin up bars. I used 5 foot sections, elbows, double male ends and base plates...very easy to mount. A good Olympic bar and bumper plates for sure. My metal plates just sit on the rack as I use my bumpers exclusively. I like my kettlebells but dumbbells are way more cost effective. If you put in mats go to a feed store and use horse stall mats for around $40 per 4 x 6 mat.

I got my bumpers from Bigger Faster Stronger and got a good deal from them. I'd give them a call for sure and see what kind of pricing you can get.

I had a weight bench but I sold it after I got some Pillars of Power and Vulcan racks...much more useful than just a bench.

Plan, be patient and only buy good stuff.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:42 AM   #5
Grady McDonald

Profile:
I'm all all about pinching where you can, subbing where you can, but some stuff you just have to throw down for. It's a lifetime investment. If you have nice gear, it's more fun to use.

Prioritize. Recommend dropping the 5-7 benjamins on the bar and bumper plates. This is the meat and potatoes, do it right.
www.bsolympicgym.com
www.ironcompany.com

Dumbells you can find on craigslist for dirt.
I bought a new flat, no frills bench at sports chalet for $60. It rocks.

I own this squat stand. $130.
www.newyorkbarbells.com/93132.html

Get some stall mats for the floor and your gyms foundation is set. Make Parallettes, buy some rings and call it good.

I found I have a small window of patience for garage sales, craigslist, ebay, classifieds. Take a week to surf the web, exhaust local resources for used gear, then bust out the credit card and get to training.

CFJ OCT 2004 has some great examples of home gyms.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
When I first started out I had no idea how addicted I would become to Crossfit and therefore didn't buy the best stuff. If you are confident you are going to stick with it then don't waste your money buying cheap stuff. Get your bumpers in KGs, I wish I would have.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:48 AM   #7
Mike Burgener

Profile:
chapmanpower.com is selling bumbers and great bars. for the $$ they are the best.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:59 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Grady,

How would you compare your squat stand to mine, being that you've used both. I'll be in the market for more squat stands sometime in the future and the NYB version is about $100 cheaper.

Linc
Old 05-05-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I went with BFS bumpers and a generic bar. I plan on upgrading the bar a little later.

Greatest investment of mine so far (well, tied with the power rings). Go with quality, you'll appreciate it in the end.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:06 PM   #10
Grady McDonald

Profile:
Yours are more portable, adjustable in width, and could hold a ton more. I wouldn't go over 600lbs on mine, but who does? Everett turned me on to these, he has a bunch at UCR and said they work great. I like the pegs to hold change. Got em' 2 days after I ordered.