CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-07-2004, 02:32 PM   #1
James Taft

Profile:

Hey,

This may seem like a simple question, but what do most of you guys do out there to remove rust from your Oly Bar. I am start to get a little rust build up from the rain dripping into my area. Any thoughts? Thanks

Jim
Old 12-07-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
Eric Peek

Profile:  
Steel Wool should remove any rust that is currently on your bar. You can keep it oiled with WD-40 to keep the rust from showing up in the first place.

I don't know where I read it but I remember a story where someone used car wax to keep their bars from rusting.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:46 AM   #3
Brian Hand

Profile:

Car wax or any hard wax should protect as well as anything, but it might be a good idea to remove the rust first. You could try Naval Jelly. If I understand correctly this product is just a weak phosphoric acid, strong enough to eat the rust but not strong enough to eat the metal. It leaves a phosphate residue on the metal that gives some protection from further rusting.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Nick Massman

Profile:
go to gemplers.com search rust converter there is a faq there that will answer our questions about their product.I use it it works great and all of my equipment is outside all the time.
Nick Massman
CrossfitSLO
Old 12-08-2004, 01:08 PM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

Nick, I checked out Gempler's, they have a lot of good stuff there, thanks for posting that.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
James Taft

Profile:

Thanks for the all the adice fella's. Nick I will check out that website. Thanks

Jim

Need to maintain the investment you make!
Old 12-12-2004, 06:11 PM   #7
Eric Peek

Profile:  
Just saw this article and thought you might be interested:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/open...weathome5.html
Old 12-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
James Taft

Profile:

Eric. Thanks for the article. I did notice that my thick handled dumbbells (iron mind) did rust after the first couple of times using them (I forgot to wipe them down after a hard workout). I used steel wool on my oly bar and my dumbbells and the rust came off leaving a little discoloration but from what I am reading this is only cosmetic. As long as it maintains it strength I don't mind. I guess I just got educated. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #9
Eric Peek

Profile:  
Who cares how they look anyway? I sure don't as long as they work. I don't think you would ever see so much rust on a good bar that it would cause fractures or problems.

I like the idea in the article on creating a surface rust to protect the medal, almost like a blueing or parkerizing on guns. That would be a pretty good idea to have a parkerized bar. I've parkerized several guns in the past...it would be very easy to do if you had a large enough tank.