CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #61
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: How sore is too sore to workout?

Active is almost always better than not active. That is, taking a few laps around the building or around your neighborhood is better than sitting on the couch. Doing a few light sets of an exercise is better than nothing. Getting the blood pumping really does help clear nastiness out of your system. Getting in the habit of doing *something* will help you get used to clearing the space in your schedule for you.

With that said, if you're sweating, it's not a rest day. If you're grunting to make your lifts, the weight isn't "light." If you're leaning toward the "crippled" end of the spectrum, this is not the time to see how hard you can push. (Especially not at the beginning.)

Katherine
Old 09-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #62
Rebekah Bromwell

Profile:

Thanks Amber! I went tonight, and I made it through (scaled and took twice as long to do the wod of course)! My worry is that I am so used to pain that I am pretty good at pushing through and getting it done and possibly really hurting myself and paying for it later. I do that in regular day to day activities because things simply have to happen, I have 3 little kids who I HAVE to take care of. I've injured my shoulder, hurt my back, etc, etc, lifting and carrying (repetitively) heavy babies (had physical therapy for that one) so I recognize that if it isn't absolutely necessary it would be better to stop short of extreme pain. I don't really have a gauge for how much soreness is ok to push through in crossfitting though. If I'm barely walking then I skip, otherwise I show up and do the best I can, but is that actually productive? Would it be better to rest longer between workouts and let my body recover to a pain free (or almost) state?

I guess thats tough to answer objectively, but basically, I wish there was a sort of test to see if I am recovered enough to do a wod. (like, pain on a scale from 1-10 when you perform some arbitrary movement... sigh.)

OR, would it be better to just go whenever I'm physically moving at all and do as much as I can? Is that the best route for increasing physical ability/stamina in the shortest time? I kind of wish this was the case because it would be easier for me to figure out what I'm doing! I do find my form suffers as I "push through" so I guess thats another strike against it, don't want to form muscle memory doing stuff wrong.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #63
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebekah Bromwell View Post
I recently started crossfit (last week!) and I do a scaled warm up and wod, but I'm still severely wiped by the end of it. the first day was last thursday, and I bascally couldn't function over the weekend, went back monday, and yesterday I wanted to go but just felt horrible, and stayed home to rest. I have been pretty sore/stiff unremittingly since thursday, but also maybe coming down with something because have had very little appetite, and was not well yesterday afternoon to the point where I dressed and was ready to go but couldn't leave the house.

So my question is how do you judge when you have recovered sufficiently to workout again? The coach at my box said to come in even if I'm feeling lousy b/c I can always at least do laps around the building, which sounds ok except for actual illness like yesterday. Is that the best approach? Should I be letting my muscles rest for a few days between lifting/squats/etc to repair themselves? Is sufficient recovery "free from pain" or just "better than crippled"?

btw, I am in similar starting condition to the OP, coming to crossfit from a paleo eating background but very inactive and afraid of exercise honestly do to a lot of chronic pain/fatigue, etc. This is sort of my last ditch effort to "cure" myself since I'm eating well and still not seeing a big drop in inflammation.

Thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement threads, they have really been helpful so far.

Hi Rebekah, First of all congratulations for having the courage to start CrossFit!! I am 9 sessions in to my On-Ramp program. The soreness has gotten better. I wish I had a good answer to your question. My recovery has been "better than crippled" since sometimes I have class 2 days in a row. Usually I can still feel my muscles at every workout because I get so sore still. Sometimes my workouts so exhaust me the next day I feel totally worthless. I get horrible fatigue and malaise where I want to just sit and drool. I am assuming thats becasue the workouts are so intense and I am in such bad shape but its really annoying. Yesterday was like that for me. I worked out Tuesday night and it was soooooo tough. I actually had to run out of the gym because I thought i was going to puke. And yesterday I was totally worthless. I had zero energy and felt horrible all day. Just this horrible sense of malaise . Good luck!! I know it will get better if we hang in there!!

stephanie
Old 09-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #64
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks Amber! I went tonight, and I made it through (scaled and took twice as long to do the wod of course)! My worry is that I am so used to pain that I am pretty good at pushing through and getting it done and possibly really hurting myself and paying for it later. I do that in regular day to day activities because things simply have to happen, I have 3 little kids who I HAVE to take care of. I've injured my shoulder, hurt my back, etc, etc, lifting and carrying (repetitively) heavy babies (had physical therapy for that one) so I recognize that if it isn't absolutely necessary it would be better to stop short of extreme pain. I don't really have a gauge for how much soreness is ok to push through in crossfitting though. If I'm barely walking then I skip, otherwise I show up and do the best I can, but is that actually productive? Would it be better to rest longer between workouts and let my body recover to a pain free (or almost) state?

I guess thats tough to answer objectively, but basically, I wish there was a sort of test to see if I am recovered enough to do a wod. (like, pain on a scale from 1-10 when you perform some arbitrary movement... sigh.)

OR, would it be better to just go whenever I'm physically moving at all and do as much as I can? Is that the best route for increasing physical ability/stamina in the shortest time? I kind of wish this was the case because it would be easier for me to figure out what I'm doing! I do find my form suffers as I "push through" so I guess thats another strike against it, don't want to form muscle memory doing stuff wrong.
Hi! These are all excellent questions that I have too and am curious what the experience CFers will tell us. My form goes out the window too when I get tired but my trainer never lets me quit. How are you feeling today?
Old 09-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #65
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Schwab View Post
Hi! These are all excellent questions that I have too and am curious what the experience CFers will tell us. My form goes out the window too when I get tired but my trainer never lets me quit. How are you feeling today?
Quitting when your form falls apart is probably the better choice in the long run, at least if you're interested in making progress and avoiding injuries. Hopefully your trainer is giving you useful corrections and not just telling you to go faster.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #66
Rebekah Bromwell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Schwab View Post
I worked out Tuesday night and it was soooooo tough. I actually had to run out of the gym because I thought i was going to puke. And yesterday I was totally worthless. I had zero energy and felt horrible all day. Just this horrible sense of malaise . Good luck!! I know it will get better if we hang in there!!

stephanie
Hey Stephanie! I almost threw up a couple of times in each of my first couple workouts. The first time I had been fasting all day but the second I had a couple of eggs 2 hours prior to workout, I thought the protein would help, it did not.

I mentioned how I was feeling after class to the owner and she said that the nausea was a rapid drop in blood sugar from exerting our muscles and using up the glycogen. What she does is eat half a banana with a little peanut butter 30 minutes before working out. I gave it a shot yesterday (well, a whole banana and a couple tbs of peanut butter, almond butter would be more orthodox but I don't do well with nuts generally and peanut butter seems easier on my gut) and NO NAUSEA! I even had a little burst of energy after warm up for the 1000m run. (I actually RAN for a couple hundred meters before having to jog/walk alternate)

Anyway, I totally get what you mean about not wanting to move or do anything for a couple of days after a hard workout. I feel doomed by pain. I bust my *** working out in order to lose weight and get healthy (and ditch the chronic pain) but that's leaving me in constant pain as well. hmph. Crossing my fingers and waiting for it to get better. I'm going to class again tonight (I'm shooting for M,T,W,Th,Sat) but I've had really bad sciatic pain all day and I'm quite frankly scared of what tomorrow will be like. Normally when I feel like this my best bet is to lie around swapping out ice packs on my lower back, but thats what got me in this shape to begin with, right? So, I will go tonight to the chiroprator,then crossfit to stretch and do what I can without falling over and spasming all over the floor, ice my back when I get home and try to sleep well. (b/c my family will let that happen... right.)

Keep it up girl, we will get better!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #67
Mara Rozitis

Profile:

I really, really think actual PAIN and malaise are NOT part of CrossFit for beginners. Maybe from the first workout, but then your trainer should see how you're feeling and scale from there. I was not in pain at all from On Ramp. Slight stiffness some days which was quickly resolved with a little mobility work. And I was not in good shape when I started. Not totally sedentary, but CrossFit workouts were a serious shock to my system. Yes, they are supposed to be hard. But the next day you shouldn't feel sick or in pain. You should feel a little sore maybe, but energized, not sick. Sometimes now I overdo it and feel a little sick and some pain, and I'm more than a year in. I have a much better feel for what my body can take. It is your trainer's job to do this for you at first. That is why there is an on-ramp! You should feel empowered, not beaten down!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #68
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Rebekah, how do you feel about going to the box and working on mobility and doing an extended warm up? I think active recovery is a good goal for you, moreso than volume. Perhaps working on doing the warm up as prescribed with appropriate mobility work to help stretch your sore areas and prep for the warm up work?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #69
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
Hey Stephanie! I almost threw up a couple of times in each of my first couple workouts. The first time I had been fasting all day but the second I had a couple of eggs 2 hours prior to workout, I thought the protein would help, it did not.

I mentioned how I was feeling after class to the owner and she said that the nausea was a rapid drop in blood sugar from exerting our muscles and using up the glycogen. What she does is eat half a banana with a little peanut butter 30 minutes before working out. I gave it a shot yesterday (well, a whole banana and a couple tbs of peanut butter, almond butter would be more orthodox but I don't do well with nuts generally and peanut butter seems easier on my gut) and NO NAUSEA! I even had a little burst of energy after warm up for the 1000m run. (I actually RAN for a couple hundred meters before having to jog/walk alternate)

Anyway, I totally get what you mean about not wanting to move or do anything for a couple of days after a hard workout. I feel doomed by pain. I bust my *** working out in order to lose weight and get healthy (and ditch the chronic pain) but that's leaving me in constant pain as well. hmph. Crossing my fingers and waiting for it to get better. I'm going to class again tonight (I'm shooting for M,T,W,Th,Sat) but I've had really bad sciatic pain all day and I'm quite frankly scared of what tomorrow will be like. Normally when I feel like this my best bet is to lie around swapping out ice packs on my lower back, but thats what got me in this shape to begin with, right? So, I will go tonight to the chiroprator,then crossfit to stretch and do what I can without falling over and spasming all over the floor, ice my back when I get home and try to sleep well. (b/c my family will let that happen... right.)

Keep it up girl, we will get better!
Yes we will! We can do this! My knees have been sore and my low back gets really tight (I have a couple of bad discs from an injury many years ago). I bought a foam roller and I do like it. It seems to help loosen things up. Are you doing an on-ramp program? I would love to shoot for 5 days a week, but right now 3 is hard for me. Thanks for sharing about why we get naseauous - I am definitely going to try the banana trick! I felt really sick again at on-ramp tonight. It was hard. The heat here doesn't help me (I hate the heat and am really sensitive to it!). I was totally sedentary when I started. Where you working out at all before starting CF? Are you in pain from previous injuries? I hope to work up to doing Paleo. Right now I have cut out sugar and am going start the Zone. Glad you here on the boards. I love knowing there are other new people!

stephanie
Old 09-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #70
Rebekah Bromwell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
Rebekah, how do you feel about going to the box and working on mobility and doing an extended warm up? I think active recovery is a good goal for you, moreso than volume. Perhaps working on doing the warm up as prescribed with appropriate mobility work to help stretch your sore areas and prep for the warm up work?
Good suggestion. This is what I ended up doing tonight, though I think I badly exacerbated the sciatica during this particular warm up. I ended up limping another 400m during the wod instead of the prescribed work, but was in tears halfway through. Tonight was... not excellent. Lori (the owner) caught me as I was finishing the 400m hobble and we had a really good talk. She said I knew my body better than anyone else and if I was having nerve pain, not just sore muscles, it was important to rest and let the inflammation reduce. Movement, yes, stretching, yes, but more painful exercise is not going to help. She said she could see from the other day that I didn't have a problem working through soreness and muscle pain, so when she saw how much I was hurting just walking today she knew it was different. I found it really helpful to have someone recognize the difference between the 2 types of pain and clarify what was a good idea to push through and what wasn't.

I was also pretty upset after going to the chiropractor and asking if it was a bad idea to workout tonight since it had been difficult even walking around today and he smiled and said I should. And THEN (this is the bit that really ****ed me off) he chuckled and said that probably wasn't the answer I wanted to hear. At that moment I didn't even know what to say, I mean I was there IN my workout clothes b/c I was ON MY WAY to class, and I was asking advice on how NOT to further damage myself, and I get this patronizing BS. If I didn't want to go I wouldn't go, I don't need anyone's permission to miss a day. The more I think about it the more angry I get.