CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:
Stretchy Sore

I did my first session of Bikram Yoga with a friend. I was able to do the whole 90 min. Now my hamstrings are fairly sore, but it feels different than the soreness achieved from lifting or something else.

How does the chemistry/biology of this soreness compare to the others? (micro-tearing, lactic acid, and all else)

How do the recovery response compare? Will it make me stronger? Will my muscle lengthen? Hormonal response? I am guessing this won't increase my T levels much.

During the recovery after lifting, I am less flexible. I am no less flexible now, possibly more so. After I come out of a stretch, my hamstrings cramp up a little. When after lifting, the problems occur going into the stretch.

I have stretched a lot before, but never to next day soreness. This is new to me.

Thank you
Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Kent Newland

Profile:
Re: Stretchy Sore

I experience this from time to time, as well as soreness after using a foam roller or massage. I think it has to do with the muscles moving or being moved in ways they've never moved before. A little bit of soreness is normal, and acceptable. A lot is a bad thing. Keep with the stretching, and you'll probably recover even faster, as well as be able to perform better.

Kent