CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
Re: Paleo and constant hunger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Crenshaw View Post

On any given day Iím eating about two pounds of various meats, massive amounts of vegetables, four eggs, a small amount of fruit, and one PWO shake consisting of( 8oz of coconut milk, 25g of whey protein, and 75g of sweet potatoes.)
I also would say your choices are fine, just increase your portions.

I'm much smaller than you (5'8" 165-170) and my diet to get leaner isn't much less than what you have listed:
1.5lbs of NOT lean meat
12 eggs
4 tbsp oil
1-2 cups of various berries
and a plate full of cooked and leafy veggies w/every meal.

With that said, someone who's much bigger and is trying to at increase strength or at least maintain would have to eat much more.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Clay Crenshaw

Profile:

thanks for all the advise. i think i'm going to try adding in some white rice and sweet potatoes/yams.

i'm assuming yams are ok?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
thanks for all the advise. i think i'm going to try adding in some white rice and sweet potatoes/yams.

i'm assuming yams are ok?
Yams and squash and anything else, they all are full of good stuff.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

You may be starting to figure out there really is no such thing as "The Paleo diet". Everyone seems to pretty much eat whatever they want and call it paleo if they dont eat white bread. Are bananas paleo? Depends what you read? How about starchy tubers? Yes? No? pick an article. Bacon? Milk? So much conflicting advice on this board and on the net in general you are better off just eating what you like and not worry so much about what list or who's list it is on or not on this week. Give it another week a new book will be out and the list will change.

If you are hungry eat more or dont eat and then you can say you are "IF"
Old 07-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #15
Andy Beaulieu

Profile:

Track your caloric intake on FitDay or something like that, to make sure you're hitting your caloric intake and macro needs day in and day out.

I agree with everyone else who says it's probably your body adjusting to lower levels of carb intake that comes with switching to a Paleo diet.

As for rice, I avoid it. You can get all the carbs your body needs with sweet potatoes, yams, fruits, and veggies.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #16
Sean Whitty

Profile:

Quote:
I've been eating paleo for two weeks now and it seems that even thought I feel full after eating it is just a couple of hours before I'm extremely hungry again. I normally will suffer through the hunger until Iíve gone 3 to 4 hours without eating.

Is this normal, will it pass, or do I just need to eat whenever I feel the urge to eat?

Iím 5í11, 191lb (down from 248lb after 2 years of CF), and workout extremely hard about 5 to 6 days a week.

On any given day Iím eating about two pounds of various meats, massive amounts of vegetables, four eggs, a small amount of fruit, and one PWO shake consisting of( 8oz of coconut milk, 25g of whey protein, and 75g of sweet potatoes.)

Any thoughts/ suggestions would be great.

Clay,

This is the site I have STARTED my paleolithic research on. It has led me on a trail of the whys and why nots and has given me a basis of judgement for my food choice. It has also made me question the tenants of the diet itself, and go on my own research journeys to find scientific backup for their articles, which in most cases are easily found. Here is the site, check out all the articles offered for free in the articles section, and make a decision for yourself and your lifestyle. Also, Barry Sears The Zone Diet is a good book to read as far as portioning goes. Give it a look. Typically I eat between 5-7 small meals a day.

http://www.paleodietlifestyle.com