CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
Tom Reyes

Profile:
Re: Five Fingers vs Minimus trail vs Inov 8's

9EEEE foot (err, paw) here. I have VFF KSO's. Like them, but they don't stand a chance against my Merrill Trail Gloves. I now have 2 pair of the Trail Gloves, one for working out in and one for wearing around. Best show I've ever owned.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
Pat Pena

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Dyer View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all the info! So after calling all over town I finally found a place with a pair of Minimus in stock so I drove 45 min to get them only to find out that my foot is too damn wide (or the shoe is too damn narrow) so they are now officially out of the mix. With the Minimus gone I am now considering the Merrel trail glove. The NB MT 101 seem to be a popular but it's not much of a "minimalist" shoe. I feel like I am back at square one.
Don't rule out the MT101 by getting hung up on the "minimalist" ideal. It really is pretty minimal. The heel is pretty flat, and the uppers are incredibly light. I have a pair and love them for wods and trail running. There is very little padding to them, and they are incredible off-road, even in sloppy mud. Great traction, and the rock stop plate really works. They are comfortable to wear without socks also.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
Patrick Otis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Reyes View Post
9EEEE foot (err, paw) here. I have VFF KSO's. Like them, but they don't stand a chance against my Merrill Trail Gloves. I now have 2 pair of the Trail Gloves, one for working out in and one for wearing around. Best show I've ever owned.
this. Also would like to mention the vff, did something to my pinky toes? did some hashing this weekend in the trail gloves and loved them.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I wear wrestling shoes for everything. If make a total switch to minimal shoes, expect your feet to hurt for a while (2-5 wks). But then you will never have a problem.

I initially wore socks with my wrestling shoes, but eventually, I stopped. The shoe works like a sock for me, no problems.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Jason R Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Pena View Post
Don't rule out the MT101 by getting hung up on the "minimalist" ideal. It really is pretty minimal. The heel is pretty flat, and the uppers are incredibly light. I have a pair and love them for wods and trail running. There is very little padding to them, and they are incredible off-road, even in sloppy mud. Great traction, and the rock stop plate really works. They are comfortable to wear without socks also.
I'd agree with Pat. Even though they do have SOME drop and you don't get the full barefoot feel they are still excellent shoes, do you really want that much feedback on rock/root infested trails? Just look at Anton Krupicka. He helped NB design the Minimus Trails and he only uses them occasionally. He mainly runs in his MT101s.

Your call regardless. Hope you enjoy what ever you end up purchasing!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
Jonathan Dinh

Profile:

I actually got a pair of NB minimus last month. So far i love them for crossfit workouts and running.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #17
Ross Hunt

Profile:

Also, before Vibram five fingers there was the martial arts shoe:

http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Claw-Wus.../dp/B0000CDBSD

Link is safe.

These things are $20.00, last a while, and (after you wear down the sole slightly through use) basically put your foot closer in contact with the ground then most Vibrams, etc. They have no toe mobility, of course. They work for lifting and sprints, although as they age you'll want more traction for slippery surfaces.

Regards,

Ross
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #18
Bradley Dyer

Profile:

Thanks again guys for all the posts! After much debate I have decided to go with the VFF Komodo Sports (they should be showing up on my door step this Friday!). I was starting to lean toward the trail glove but the owner of my local box swayed me away. I plan to make a very slow transition into the FF as recommended by several bloggers as to avoid Achilles problems. I had considered going with an "intermediate/transition" shoe but most people said donít bother and recommended going straight to a minimalist shoe but transition slowly. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up picking up a pair of the MT 101's as well as they sound like they would be a good alternate shoe to have on days I donít want to use the FF.

Keep on Keepin' on

-bd-
Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #19
Pat Pena

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Dyer View Post
Thanks again guys for all the posts! After much debate I have decided to go with the VFF Komodo Sports (they should be showing up on my door step this Friday!). I was starting to lean toward the trail glove but the owner of my local box swayed me away. I plan to make a very slow transition into the FF as recommended by several bloggers as to avoid Achilles problems. I had considered going with an "intermediate/transition" shoe but most people said donít bother and recommended going straight to a minimalist shoe but transition slowly. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up picking up a pair of the MT 101's as well as they sound like they would be a good alternate shoe to have on days I donít want to use the FF.

Keep on Keepin' on

-bd-
That's exactly what I do with my shoes; days that I don't wear my VFFs I wear the MT101's, unless it is squats or oly-lifts, then I break out the Sambas.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #20
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

+ 1 for the trail gloves. I never went full on monkey shoe, and these seem to cover all the basis.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)