CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:
Re: Knock-Kneed Beginner with the Major Lifts

For the power clean

What I noticed is that your feet shift when you go to catch it. NOT bad, but when you do this, your knees appear to track inward as you squat. It is hard to tell from this angle, but that is what I see.

This may be a flexibility issue. Try warming up with the squat-stance-elbow-pushing knees-out-stretch. Long name, and I have ONLY seen it in the book. Looks like you need to buy it.

I personally avoid shifting my feet as much as possible, because for power cleans, I would simply land is a wider stance rather than drop down low. My friend does it too. And if you put your feet too wide, your knees MUST go in.

You are also catching it really high, and the squat is mechanical and not needed.

I would recommend fixing the landing stance and the knees, then add more weight. Add the weight because you are pulling way too high to need much of any drop. On the first one, you pulled the bar up past your chest. Put your cursor on the sternum in the video, and watch the bar go past it. You could probably catch it on stiff legs. Not that you should. You should work on you landing stance and add more weight.

This video helped me A LOT
WFS - Don McCauley and the Catapult Technique

Last edited by Aidan Macdonald : 05-07-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
Andrew Carnovale

Profile:
Re: Knock-Kneed Beginner with the Major Lifts

The only thing I think I can add aside from the other replies is that I would change your grip on the press. You're holding it in the rack position which is popular for more explosive overhead movements (push jerk, push press, split jerk) but is not as beneficial for the strict press. Try gripping the bar with your whole hand instead of resting it on your fingertips. This will move your elbows down but should help your pressing a lot.