CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Victor Maalouf

Profile:
Sprinting only

I haven't been to the gym in a while, a couple months or so. What I have been doing fairly regularly is sprinting. I'm in college at the moment. When I arrive to school I park in the furthest spot from my class, then run to it as fast as I can, and usually run around in between classes with my backpack on. I also have a park right by my house where I do some freestyle plyometrics. I had been staying in fairly good shape until I got sick recently.

I have been wondering, do we really need to do much else besides sprinting, running, and a little non-weights plyometrics? It's like the Paleo diet, our ancestors thousands of years ago did not have weights they could lug around. They had their bare feet and running, and maybe some tools and weapons they carried around. I've also been watching videos of Olympic sprinters, and these guys are super-buff all around, with not just big powerful legs, but chests, backs, shoulders, biceps, triceps, etc. I'm gonna rethink this post but for now have to go. Interested in what others think.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Melody Glasgow

Profile:
Re: Sprinting only

Our ancestors killed things and carried them. I don't know if you've ever butchered a large animal and carried it home, but it's really hard. Dead animals are heavy.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Do you think sprinters do nothing but sprint all day? What about LeBron James, did he turn into the 6'8" 275lb ripped monster he is just by playing basketball?

Top-level sprinters and decathlete types typically produce squat and Oly lifting numbers that would put about 99% of CFers to shame. They get those numbers by lifting heavy on a regular basis in addition to their track and field work.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Maalouf View Post
I have been wondering, do we really need to do much else besides sprinting, running, and a little non-weights plyometrics? It's like the Paleo diet, our ancestors thousands of years ago did not have weights they could lug around. They had their bare feet and running, and maybe some tools and weapons they carried around. I've also been watching videos of Olympic sprinters, and these guys are super-buff all around, with not just big powerful legs, but chests, backs, shoulders, biceps, triceps, etc. I'm gonna rethink this post but for now have to go. Interested in what others think.
First off, stop comparing what normal folks do to what Olympic level athletes do. It is apples and oranges. Now the canned answer to your question - it depends on your goals. Sprinting, running, and non-weight plyometrics are enough for normal people to stay "fit." What do you want to accomplish? Just be healthy? You will be okay. Want to compete against others? Others than train to be stronger and do things with more resistance? Probably won't be okay.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
When I arrive to school I park in the furthest spot from my class, then run to it as fast as I can, and usually run around in between classes with my backpack on.
Do people stare at you?

Quote:
I've also been watching videos of Olympic sprinters, and these guys are super-buff all around, with not just big powerful legs, but chests, backs, shoulders, biceps, triceps, etc. I'm gonna rethink this post but for now have to go. Interested in what others think.

Well, sprinting is very good exercise, and it indeed is a compound exercise much in the same way that squats and deadlifts are. I do think you can get a pretty good physique doing nothing but sprinting.

However, comparing your training to Olympic sprinters isn't exactly accurate because as Eric mentioned, most of them do a ton of strength work. Actually, from what I've read about elite level sprinting, there really isn't a given formula. I think most sprinters do a lot of squats, bench presses, power cleans, and maybe power snatches, although there are some great sprinters that don't lift at all (Carl Lewis comes to mind).

Look at Harry Aikines-Aryeetey here, runs a 10.1 for 100. Has a big physique but spends a lot of time lifting. Check out his 375# power clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9TG3hpUkA8 (wfs)

Quote:
I have been wondering, do we really need to do much else besides sprinting, running, and a little non-weights plyometrics? It's like the Paleo diet, our ancestors thousands of years ago did not have weights they could lug around. They had their bare feet and running, and maybe some tools and weapons they carried around.

If modern hunter-gatherer tribes are any indication of "paleo man," then they probably spent 90% of their time doing LSD - those three letters that everyone around here hates.

For evidence of this, check out this video of a persistence hunt, which is one of my favorites of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wI-9RJi0Qo (wfs)

Now if by "paleo man" you're accounting for the various lifestyles and climates of our ancestors, then I suppose some of them sprinted, and some of them didn't. I'm sure some of them had to carry their food, and some of them just ate it on the spot. I'm sure some of them fought wild beasts, and others just caught fish, and still others just picked berries. Some of them lived in cold environments, others in tropical landscapes.

See what I'm getting at here? I guess it's fair to say that some of our ancestors' lifestyles mimicked a training program consisting of sprinting and bodyweight movements, but it's also fair to say that the lifestyles of other prehistoric humanoids did not.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I would recommend you stop sprinting between classes. I would find that a bit odd. But whatever works, go for it.

Sometime in January this year, I decided to run a mile. I had run 4 times since July. I spent the rest of the time trying to GAIN weight and ONLY lifting. I ran a 6:16. My previous record was a 6:06 in high school when I was training my running in Waterpolo and X Country. I did the 6:16 at a bodyweight that was 40lbs higher than when I did the 6:06. I would say that lifting helps A LOT.

I understand you can get your mile time a lot better by specific training like sprints and HIIT, but with an extra 40lbs ... I recommend lifting. But I still love sprints, I am doing some tomorrow, so don't think I hate.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I've also been watching videos of Olympic sprinters, and these guys are super-buff all around, with not just big powerful legs, but chests, backs, shoulders, biceps, triceps, etc. I'm gonna rethink this post but for now have to go. Interested in what others think.
Think about this for a minute. Exactly *how* did those Olympic sprinters get those strong shoulders?

I can pretty much guarantee it wasn't from sprinting. Those guys are doing tons of other stuff.

To your larger question: what are your goals?

Katherine
Old 04-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
Victor Maalouf

Profile:

As for running at school, I don't really care what others think of it. I have my girlfriend and don't need much else.

The people in the video posted by Shane are probably the !Kung. They hardly exist as hunter gatherers anymore. They've been mostly pushed off land and their old life has been extremely limited by globalization, which is why they're so skinny and malnourished.

The old hunters probably did not carry their prey very far. Everyone else picked up their stuff and moved to kill sites.

As for my goals, I'm not competing in much at the moment. Intramurals and obstacle courses or whatever occasional challenges come up locally. I am 5'10 175 right now. My highest point was 183, but I don't want to get much higher than 185, and probably not more than 190. I'm a college student right now and I have to conserve, so I can't splurge on too much food to get big. My biggest goal is I want to try to get an excellent body fat percentage as I have never tried to train for it. I want to be fast and mobile, and well rounded, so what I don't want is my upper body to get smaller.

I kind of want to do an experiment for a month or so, create a plan and see how it works. I'm going to sprint and run with long strides primarily, while doing pushups, pullups, handstand pushups, cleans, squats, deadlifts, snatches, bear crawls, and other simple workouts either in between running or whenever I go to the gym. Other than sprinting primarily, the plan is to be not too specific, and do what feels best at any given time, while seeing if I want to change anything up at any time.

I'll come back and let people know how it worked out...
Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Michael Henry

Profile:

I am going to go out on a limb and say that in a month, you will be exactly where you are now. What is your "experiment" testing?

I take that back, I guess you could drop your bf% granted you are eating for that. Define excellent?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

excellent in a college students mind is probably somewhere between -1 and 0%

But in all seriousness why is your goal something like bodyfat percentage? Are you obese? Is your current body fat percentage causing you medical problems?

Having a bodyfat percentage that is too low can hinder you in endurance exercises and events, yes you weigh less and have more lean mass but you have nothing for the lean mass to gobble up when you may accidentally miss a meal. Or when you are 3/4 into your marathon and don't have any more munchie bars. After the fat goes the next thing on target is muscle fibers.