CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
Erin Elizabeth

Profile:
Re: DOMS / Soreness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica S Roberts View Post

Example: I've been doing CF for a year and am a level one trainer but, I don't kid myself to think I'm a superstar or even anywhere close to it!! I actually have recently cut myself back to CF 4 days a week because I wasn't recovering well and having a hard time doing the WODS as intense as I could. I also have cut back on the weight. I wanted to lift "hard and heavy" but it wasn't working for me.

I've had to learn to train "intelligently" for me. I'm a very busy 34-year old, full-time working mom of a very active kid and unfortunately, I'm not that 20-yr old college volleyball player anymore . I would love to do every WOD Rx but, I would only be able to workout like once a week because I'd be to sore!! It doesn't mean that I don't go hard but, it means I do what is best for me. That's the beauty of CrossFit. You can change it up to work for you!

Yesterday's WOD (open wod 11.5) I dropped the PC to 65lbs, did V-sits (shoulder issue from reconstructive surgery and can't really swing to well on the bars) and then did the wall balls as Rx. Wasn't prescribed but, I went hard, got a great workout and don't feel too terribly sore today. I mean I can feel it but, I'm getting ready to go workout now!

Just be smart and build gradually into your CrossFit abilities.
Jessica- Just wanted you to know that I really appreciated this comment. I, also, am a 34 year old mom and Crossfit has been kicking my rear lately. I have not done a great job of "changing it up" and I've been too prideful to lighten up the WOD. It's affected my ability to take care of my family this week because I've been so sore.

Crossfit is important to me, but it should never interfere with my ability to take care of my family like I allowed it to this week.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

If your goal is improved fitness, and you just trained yourself to a point where you can no longer function. I believe you just made yourself less fit than before.

Try swimming, yoga. I sometimes do weighted squats, I find they stretch me out pretty well. Basically get some blood into your legs and try to keep it there. Take some (400mg) NSAID (advil) before you sleep (anti-inflammatory). Take some (200mg) before you try the recovery workouts above.

I am not a professional, but in my experience of being incredibly stupid (many times), recovery workouts are the way to go.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Travis Loest

Profile:

Neal,
I've had DOMS in my legs so bad that, along with the frankenstein walk, I've not been able to sit down. I just kinda' pointed my *** where I wanted it to go, fell down and grimaced. What's funny is that I don't really get DOMS anywhere else that severely.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Neal Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Loest View Post
Neal,
I've had DOMS in my legs so bad that, along with the frankenstein walk, I've not been able to sit down. I just kinda' pointed my *** where I wanted it to go, fell down and grimaced. What's funny is that I don't really get DOMS anywhere else that severely.
That's exactly where i was at. If I dropped something... I would contemplate leaving it because it was a five minute struggle to get down to pick it up and back up again. DOMS usually occurs in the muscle fibers that are less trained
Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Travis Loest

Profile:

I think I'm gonna have to try and avoid DOMS like crazy. My room mate and I have been doing crossfit and I haven't really had any major soreness, just the 'oh, yeah I used that muscle yesterday' feel, which is ok.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #16
Darren McCreedy

Profile:

My first workout at a box was this past Monday - after a 15-20 minute evaluation and time spent stretching I did the following trainer supervised workout...

AMRAP (15) min

5 - pullups (assisted)
10 - box jumps
15 - air squats

I completed (8) rounds + (5) pullups and was taxed more than I have ever experienced in my life. I've had limited exercise over the last 6-8 months due to shoulder physio and ultimately laziness. It's been 44 hours since I completed the workout and still can't straighten my arms fully or get out of my chair without significant discomfort. I'm all for getting the most out of a workout but perhaps this might have been a bit much for my first go at it - no matter how much I loved it!

Due to this soreness I won't be able to go tonight, which as someone mentioned earlier doesn't help your progress. Lesson learned for me - know what your body can do and work within it.

That being said I can't wait to go back!!!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren McCreedy View Post
My first workout at a box was this past Monday - after a 15-20 minute evaluation and time spent stretching I did the following trainer supervised workout...

AMRAP (15) min

5 - pullups (assisted)
10 - box jumps
15 - air squats

I completed (8) rounds + (5) pullups and was taxed more than I have ever experienced in my life. I've had limited exercise over the last 6-8 months due to shoulder physio and ultimately laziness. It's been 44 hours since I completed the workout and still can't straighten my arms fully or get out of my chair without significant discomfort. I'm all for getting the most out of a workout but perhaps this might have been a bit much for my first go at it - no matter how much I loved it!

Due to this soreness I won't be able to go tonight, which as someone mentioned earlier doesn't help your progress. Lesson learned for me - know what your body can do and work within it.

That being said I can't wait to go back!!!
Darren - welcome!!

To everyone else, am I crazy, but does this also see like an innappropriate beginner workout? 100+ reps of anything seems crazy. My gut would scale this to maybe 7 min max...
Old 04-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #18
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I have been doing oly lifts 3 times a week, and a met con for almost 10 months now and a few weeks ago did the following wod, and it KILLED me and I couldn't walk for 4-6 days.

4 Rounds for time:
8 Front Squats @ 155lb (about 60% of my 1RM)
8 Deadlifts @245 (about 58% of my 1RM)

Even when you think you are in GREAT condition, a workout will sneak up on you and give you DOMS.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
Melody Glasgow

Profile:

In my personal experience, a very good way to avoid DOMS is to do something low intensity with some decent ROM for a while after the WOD. For example, biking for 20 minutes or so at a moderate pace after a WOD will help with lower body soreness. Swimming would probably do the same for upper body.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #20
Michael Petersen

Profile:

"Tabata something else" from Monday has me feeling it in my arms today. Not so much that it prevents me from doing anything...but I'm not real interested in doing any pull-ups or push-ups today...

For those that get it in their legs, buy a foam roller and learn how to use it. I've found it to be a godsend in heading off DOMS.