CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
Dave Mahoney

Profile:
Re: Questions about sleep.

Have you tried blacking out your bedroom. By blacking out I mean everything try to make it cave like. If you are having trouble falling asleep try a few things: No food two hours before bed, taking Magnesium, and look for possible over training. If you are getting a high Cortisol release that will screw everything up.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
Matt Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Tourluk View Post
For the past week or so, I have been waking up after only on average 5-6 hours of sleep. I try to go back to sleep but my energy levels upon waking up are pretty high...

I do some sort of physical training everyday (do not feel overtrained at all), and I'm very curious as to why my body doesn't seem to be able to sleep more than 6 hours.
Just gonna through my 2 cents out there for good measure...Before I do, have your eating/supplementation habits changed (did you get rid of sugar or start taking vitamin D or anything like that?)

It sounds like you feel good...so I'm personally not too worried. A buddy of mine lives in Alaska and he says during the winter, when its dark for 20 hours a day...his body needs a ton of sleep (12 hours or so) and when its summer, he feels great on 4 hours. It could easily be that your body knows that the nights are getting shorter, so it only wants to sleep for that long. Also, I'm not sure you want to start forcing yourself to sleep for 8 hours if your body is telling you to only sleep for 5-6, especially if you're about to go to boot camp in which you won't be getting 8 hours...if your body is comfy w/ less, let it stay that way, it might be easier for you to adjust to the boot camp schedule if you are already going off of 5-6 hours a night.

I personally wouldn't worry too much until I saw a decrease in performance. If your numbers do drop or even you hit a major plateau...then drink some sleepy time tea when you get up at 0300 and crawl back to bed. (note, I'm not a Physician, and this is not medical advice ;-)

Best of luck!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
Kyle Tourluk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
Your calorie consumption seems low. Hopefully I won't be attacked, but you could try GOMAD for a week. When I get over trained, I do GOMAD for a week (or more). The spike in calories seems to help me.

I vote over trained and malnourished. Try eating more. I would be hesitant to tell you to back off the volume (marines DEP). Try eating more first. A LOT MORE

EDIT:

Your body fat is also low. Not a bad thing, but you have less room to not eat. Your body can't tap into the body fat for recovery energy

It has been hard for me lately to get in a lot of calories. I recently cut weight and down from 13%bf to what I am at now. I'm trying to up calories but am stuck in my lower calorie eating habits. I recently incorporated more almonds, avocados, and whole milk. I can eat a load of almonds in a day so that's helping. any recommendations for more calorie dense foods that won't fill me up so much?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #14
Dave Mahoney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Tourluk View Post
It has been hard for me lately to get in a lot of calories. I recently cut weight and down from 13%bf to what I am at now. I'm trying to up calories but am stuck in my lower calorie eating habits. I recently incorporated more almonds, avocados, and whole milk. I can eat a load of almonds in a day so that's helping. any recommendations for more calorie dense foods that won't fill me up so much?
I would be careful with the almonds. Good snack but high in Omega 6. I have found making a ton of meat on Sundays and snacking on it through the week makes things easier.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #15
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

GOMAD (if you can)
peanut butter and banana sandwiches
bacon and all food fried in bacon fat
Mexican food
Pizza with bacon cooked onto it
Stuffed potatoes (stuffed with beef chili)

Seriously, anything will work. Don't do it paleo. If you have been having trouble eating, than you confirm my theory.

Remember, nutrition is the hardest part of training. Always
Right now your nutrition is to eat EVERYTHING
You should never be hungry, EVER