CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
Kyle Tourluk

Profile:
Questions about sleep.

Hey guys and gals, let me know what you think about this.

For the past week or so, I have been waking up after only on average 5-6 hours of sleep. I try to go back to sleep but my energy levels upon waking up are pretty high. I'm in bed and sleeping my the latest 2200 hrs every night and have waking up consistently around the 0300 hour.

I find this strange because my weekly training load is fairly high.

Some stats:
Male,
weight: 170,
height: 6' 1",
bf%: about 8% (caliper measurements)
DCI: 2600-3000 kcal/day (rough macro breakdown 40/30/30)

Average week of work: (brief)
5x3 strength training three time a week (1-1.5 hrs/session)
2-3 metcons a week at the local Crossfit affiliate
Run 5K two times a week (helps my recovery believe it or not)
PT every Wednesday for the Marine Corps DEP program (2-2.5 hrs/session)

I do some sort of physical training everyday (do not feel overtrained at all), and I'm very curious as to why my body doesn't seem to be able to sleep more than 6 hours.

Should I be worried? Again, this is a fairly recent phenomena I'm experience.
Thanks for the input.

P.S:
As I suspect someone might ask, my caffeine intake consists of about 2-3 cups of coffee/day not consumed past any later than 1300hrs.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: Questions about sleep.

If you're alert and energetic when you wake up, why are you drinking 2-3 cups of coffee?

I would cut back, see if sleep time improves, see how you feel. You have wiggle room, play around with your consumption.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #3
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Assuming no other factors are at play - ie stress, hot weather, noise etc. it may be of benefit to just back off a wee bit on the training for a week and see how that goes. You are doing a pretty huge amount so cutting back for a week isn't going to be the end of the world for you!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Sorry, should have clarified.....trouble sleeping can be an indication of overtraining even where you physically feel fine
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Kyle Tourluk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
If you're alert and energetic when you wake up, why are you drinking 2-3 cups of coffee?

I would cut back, see if sleep time improves, see how you feel. You have wiggle room, play around with your consumption.
I drink coffee because I enjoy it. It's more of a ritualistic thing more than the need for a caffeine boost. I do plan to switch to decaf though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Gregory View Post
Sorry, should have clarified.....trouble sleeping can be an indication of overtraining even where you physically feel fine
The only trouble I have is the quantity of sleep. In terms of quality; I fall asleep quickly and stay asleep all night till I do finally wake up if that means anything. Would you say the lack of quantity of sleep is a result of overtraining? How could I better measure the quality of sleep I'm getting other than details given?

-------

Also, what would you recommend cutting back on? Running, lifiting, crossfit?
I feel like crap and bored as hell if I go a day or two without doing physical activities. In my time not doing these activities, I'm going on long walks or stretching.

Sounds pathetic, but I live alone far from my home town, friends and family just waiting around to get shipped off to boot camp. I live in a college town where the friends I do have are ALWAYS in class it seems so I have mostly NOTHING else to do. I find physical activity enjoyable and a great way to occupy my time so my point is that it's difficult for me to not do this much. Might sound strange to some but that's the reality of my situation.

Advice and recommendations are all appreciated.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Tourluk View Post
Would you say the lack of quantity of sleep is a result of overtraining? How could I better measure the quality of sleep I'm getting other than details given?
Yes, absolutely. It's a classic symptom. Try measuring your resting heart rate immediately after waking. If it's elevated, that's another common symptom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Tourluk View Post
Also, what would you recommend cutting back on? Running, lifiting, crossfit?
I feel like crap and bored as hell if I go a day or two without doing physical activities. In my time not doing these activities, I'm going on long walks or stretching.
Whatever takes the most out of you. You didn't mention which one of those activities you put in the most effort. My guess is that you're doing CF at maximum effort (don't know of anyone who modulates intensity on metcons), so there's a problem right there. And if you're doing your lifting and running at near-maximum effort too, that's another problem.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Kyle Tourluk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Yes, absolutely. It's a classic symptom. Try measuring your resting heart rate immediately after waking. If it's elevated, that's another common symptom.

Whatever takes the most out of you. You didn't mention which one of those activities you put in the most effort. My guess is that you're doing CF at maximum effort (don't know of anyone who modulates intensity on metcons), so there's a problem right there. And if you're doing your lifting and running at near-maximum effort too, that's another problem.

Thanks, I'm going to cut out the lifting for a while and see how that works out since CF and running seems to me the best way to prepare myself for Marine Corps boot camp.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Hey, I also have trouble sleeping, but my problem is falling asleep. Once I am sleeping I can get a good amount in but sometimes I lay in bed for an hour or two. Some nights I wake up a lot during the night and some I don't.

I always get the best sleep when I leave to go boarding in the mountains for a week. Dunno if it's the air or what it is but I make it a priority to go on that trip every year because of how rejuvenating it is. Then I get back an with school an training it doesn't take too long an I can't sleep anymore. I seriously don't understand how some people can get 8-9 hours every night. Getting that much sleep sounds like heaven, but I know if I sleep in to make up for lost hours on the weekend it basically guarantees not sleeping later that night.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Starts with over ends with training

Take a couple rests weeks and just do your PT work
Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

Your calorie consumption seems low. Hopefully I won't be attacked, but you could try GOMAD for a week. When I get over trained, I do GOMAD for a week (or more). The spike in calories seems to help me.

I vote over trained and malnourished. Try eating more. I would be hesitant to tell you to back off the volume (marines DEP). Try eating more first. A LOT MORE

EDIT:

Your body fat is also low. Not a bad thing, but you have less room to not eat. Your body can't tap into the body fat for recovery energy