CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
I am looking to get lean but put on muscle and get stronger at the same time should I really use the zone diet? When deciding wether or not to start the zone diet I read criticism about it saying people loose fat because its a low calorie diet not because of keeping insulin levels in the zone. Is caloric excess really neccessary to build muscle?
Nick
Old 05-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Is caloric excess really neccessary to build muscle?

You need to increase your production of testosterone and grown hormone to put on muscle and reduce fat at the same time. Whether or not you see a increase depends on where you're at now. If you've eating junk, not sleeping and not exercising, you'll get a boost of those hormones when you eat healthy, sleep well and work out hard. If you're already doing that, getting on the zone isn't going to matter.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #3
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I had never had a reason to gain muscle until after surgery. At that time I had lost a bit of weight (from 176 to 168 and 10% bf) and I wanted to get my lean-mass and strength back up. I ate according to Zone perameters at the 1.0 activity multiplier with 3-5x fat. I also increased my daily activity significantly (along the lines of Berardi's G-flux concept). After about a month, I'm back up to 176 at 7% bodyfat. I'll probably attempt to top out at around 180, then find my maintenance level.

Whatever the Zone may be good for scientifically, I can attest to the fact that it's by far the easiest way to dial in your actual intake from day to day. Once you figure out the block system you know exactly how much of everything you need for your goals and it's uber-simple.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Eat Zone or Paleo and do Crossfit.

I actually up my protein and healthy fats and keep my carbs lower than called for, because I feel best that way. Start at where the Zone tells you to and when you get comfortable make changes form there, usually increasing fats. If your bodyfat gets too low you will reach a point where you have to eat more to put on muscle.

As Charlie states above you have to "stimulate" your body to put on muscle. You could change nothing in the way you eat, but start a program like Crossfit and gain muscle while losing fat. To get the most out of it you want your diet to be inline.

I am working with a woman who is just doing a basic lifting at home three times a week and walking everyday. Her big diet changes are to eat protein at every meal and cut way down on processed food. She has lost 28-lbs of fat and gained almost 5-lbs of muscle in 7 months.

I would lose muscle and gain fat if I followed her program but it is more active than she has been for 25 years so for now it is working. What is enough to bring about change in one person may not in another.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
It sounds like I should have given more background on my activity level and where I am at right now. I am around 145 pounds bench 210 and maxed out on the back squat the other day at 12 reps of 225 but am at 12-14 percent bodyfat. I would like to go under 10 percent bodyfat while still getting stronger and putting on muscle. how can i increase my testosterone and human gorowth hormone?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #6
Jesse Woody

Profile:
You do that by using the exercises that you listed, lots of squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, etc.

What are you eating now? That is the more important background point.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
I was eating a lot of chicken, lean ground beef, yogurt, 100% whole wheat bread and pasta, and cottage cheese. I have only been doing the zone now for a week I get up eat some pineapple with strawberries and low fat yogurt for breakfast then for lunch green beans, strawberries and pineapple, and a 6oz grilled chicken breast with olive oil, for an afternoon snack 1oz of mozzarella cheese and some chips and salsa then for dinner basically the same thing as lunch just maybe a little more chicken, and for a late evening snack spinach and 1oz of deli turkey.