CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Aaron Kreuter

Profile:
Imbalanced Muscle growth?

Hello all-

I think I have a problem with what I'll call - for lack of a better term - imbalanced muscle growth: In my upper body, the muscles on my left side appear to be significantly more developed than the corresponding muscles on my right side, especially through my trunk. In my lower body, the opposite is true; my right side muscles seem to be more developed than my left, but it isn't as noticeable in my lower body. I am right-handed.

I have had this problem for as long as I've been working out, starting in high school and college when I did the "3 sets of 10" type workouts. I just started doing crossfit two months ago, and I had been hoping the crossfit-style workout would maybe mitigate this problem, but I haven't seen any change. In fact, the difference might even be more pronounced.

If anyone knows anything, or has ever experienced something like this, I'd love to know how you solved this problem. Thanks alot.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:
Re: Imbalanced Muscle growth?

I have the same thing happening with me. I'm of the understanding that its pretty common, and since it doesnt effect my performance to my knowledge im not too worried about it.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Jason Wallis

Profile:

How much difference are we talking? I our minds, we often exaggerate what we consider to be flaws in ourselves.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Aaron Kreuter

Profile:

Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind, but the difference in my upper body is as much as roughly 50% percent larger on the left side than on the right. It isn't that I care how it looks. It's more that it doesn't seem healthy to have such a marked difference between sides, and it makes me think I could be more efficient with my workouts.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

There is nobody on this planet with a perfect symetrical posture. Most of us have small imbalances and there is nothing to be affraid of. If it bothers you or when it hinders progress you could incorporate some more unilateral work and start out with the weakest side.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

I have some too.

Most of the time it is from scoliosis. The other times it is usually from compensation -- when an injury occurs and you compensate too much and don't redevelop proper biomechanical patterns.

Any of those the case?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
John Mc Evoy

Profile:

This is extremely common and is nothing really to be worried about.
The majority of the time it happens in the least dominant side for the following reason: If you are right handed then your left side is less cordinated so it has to work harder to produce the same result, hense the intensity in that side is greater so your results will be better on that side. It's kind of a cool way of explaining to people how important intensity actually is. The guy who said before about doing uni lateral work would probably be best to even out if it really bothers you. I know that a 50% difference would def bother me!

I hope that was somewhat helpful