CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #31
Liam McKarry

Profile:
Re: There is no try. Do or do not.

I know this is a bit naff but this thread had set me thinking. Here is a bit of a personal confession!

I knew it was time to snap out of diet fixation when I started comparing the calories in servings of Ketchup and looking at the size of apples. I was looking up every component of every meal on fitday and counting blocks like my life depended on it.

What's odd about this I hear many people asking - that's being committed (but in my opinion likely to get me committed!)?

I started out at a BF of about 12% and had a sub 5 min Fran time, 30+ pullups etc so really didn'y need to be too concerned but (and again in my opinion) due to getting to hung up on 'CF + Zone or Paleo' ideas I started to develop an eating disorder - I'm blaming nothing but my obsessive personality traits for this. The inclusion of Zone/Paleo (I tried both) screwed me up even when applying the eat more fat principle (5xfat) my times started going up rapidly, I was tired all the time and generally felt like I was falling to pieces - sometimes I felt transparently thin, then I started getting coughs and colds etc after having spent years not getting sick.

I think a large number of people reading these threads need to look at why they're doing things with their diets - is it because you want to improve your life or because it's 'the thing to do' as rxd?

My view now? I like the 'easy zone' model - get a piece of meat that's about the size of your open palm and then fill the rest of the plate with veggies. Occasionally as part of those veggies I throw in a sweet potato or even a regular white spud. I think the key is being balanced in it - eat what is good for you but don't be scared of treating yourself and for heavens sake will a splash of milk in a cup of coffee actually be that much of an impact on weight/performance? If it is, it's probably time to cut down on the coffee.

Oh and I also eat pasta and pizza from time to time - my CF times are still improving and I feel happy and healthy.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #32
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam McKarry View Post
I know this is a bit naff but this thread had set me thinking. Here is a bit of a personal confession!

I knew it was time to snap out of diet fixation when I started comparing the calories in servings of Ketchup and looking at the size of apples. I was looking up every component of every meal on fitday and counting blocks like my life depended on it.

What's odd about this I hear many people asking - that's being committed (but in my opinion likely to get me committed!)?

I started out at a BF of about 12% and had a sub 5 min Fran time, 30+ pullups etc so really didn'y need to be too concerned but (and again in my opinion) due to getting to hung up on 'CF + Zone or Paleo' ideas I started to develop an eating disorder - I'm blaming nothing but my obsessive personality traits for this. The inclusion of Zone/Paleo (I tried both) screwed me up even when applying the eat more fat principle (5xfat) my times started going up rapidly, I was tired all the time and generally felt like I was falling to pieces - sometimes I felt transparently thin, then I started getting coughs and colds etc after having spent years not getting sick.

I think a large number of people reading these threads need to look at why they're doing things with their diets - is it because you want to improve your life or because it's 'the thing to do' as rxd?

My view now? I like the 'easy zone' model - get a piece of meat that's about the size of your open palm and then fill the rest of the plate with veggies. Occasionally as part of those veggies I throw in a sweet potato or even a regular white spud. I think the key is being balanced in it - eat what is good for you but don't be scared of treating yourself and for heavens sake will a splash of milk in a cup of coffee actually be that much of an impact on weight/performance? If it is, it's probably time to cut down on the coffee.

Oh and I also eat pasta and pizza from time to time - my CF times are still improving and I feel happy and healthy.
Well said!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #33
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
I feel happy and healthy
which really, for most of us, is what its all about.

Great post!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #34
Mark Markley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Kilts aren't Paleo.

Katherine
Unbifurcated garments seem about as paleo as you can get, short of being naked!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #35
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Markley View Post
Unbifurcated garments seem about as paleo as you can get, short of being naked!
Traditional kilts are woven from wool, therefore requiring both weaving/dying infrastructure and domesticated sheep. Not paleo.

Katherine