CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Scot Heyes

Profile:
Hand Stand Push Ups & Hand Position?

Hi Everyone,
I have been "playing" with these for the past few weeks. I started just holding a static hand stand trying to come of the wall to improve balance, strength in my shoulders and core.

I have now taken the next step in going down as far as I can, but I am struggling to get my forehead to the floor. I have read about placing books under the head and remove a book as you get more competent.

However I have been watching some of the videos post regarding HSPU's and it looks like the hands are spread further apart naturally bringing the head closer to the floor? Is this an intended technique and if so does it help or does the effort get redistributed to another muscle group?

Again all help welcomed!!

Games footage is great!!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: Hand Stand Push Ups & Hand Position?

People do that to shorten their range of motion and decrease the leverage - this allows for faster metcon times. However, it is not preferable from the perspective of training specifically to do a better handstand push-up. For that, look to keep your hands relatively narrow and use parallettes to achieve a fuller range of motion.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Scot Heyes

Profile:

Thanks, so elbows tucked into the sides with narrow hands and elbows out to the sides with wide hands?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Heyes View Post
Thanks, so elbows tucked into the sides with narrow hands and elbows out to the sides with wide hands?
Yeah, pretty much. Wide arms can make certain movements in gymnastics handstands harder, like wide-arm press handstands, but with HSPUs the opposite is true (except on the rings where wide-arm HSPUs doesn't take away from the ROM either at the top or at the bottom, and also in the process makes the leverage worse).

EDIT: It's all in here http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/19 (WFS)

Last edited by Andrew H. Meador : 07-11-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Wide arm HSPU on the rings are a prepatory element in the GymnasticBodies system by Coach Sommer, more than likely for producing stress on the shoulder and elbow which needs to be trained for the straight arm strength moves of cross and inverted cross and maltese besides the basic levers. There are also similar forms of pullups, rows, pushups, and dips.

Scot, doing it with wider arms and the elbows flared out is easier by an order of magnitude if you arch and more so if you straddle the legs. I haven't tried doing it stomach to wall and it may be an interesting prepatory movement for wide arm HS on floor ( actually labeled as cross HS in judging ). I've used mostly stomach to wall HS to wide arm HS walking the hands out and back in to prepare the movement or working press to wide arm HS.